Hand Raiser: What are my odds?

Discussion in 'Merck' started by Anonymous, Oct 20, 2014 at 7:07 AM.

Tags: Add Tags
  1. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

I raised my hand last Wednesday. Can anyone offer what my chances may be that I get selected?

2. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

Totally depends upon your age and tenure

3. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

Disagree - We will be doing cuts throughout the company and are looking for opportunities for hand raisers etc. What it depends on is the ability for your manager to give up the position and not backfill. When we make reductions, either voluntarily or involuntarily, the position must go away. They can not accept your handraising and then hire someone to take your place. The only way they can rationalize that type of move is to do a reorg in order to accommodate your request. They still need to go down one position somewhere.

Age and tenure have absolutely nothing to do with the decision to accept a hand raiser. They do sometimes affect the selection of non-hand raisers. In my experience, the company does try to carry over folks who are closer to hitting a certain milestone (such as 10 years etc), but that's not always the case.

4. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

if your manager can fill the spot with say a good high performing person from another group -- so for example if you are a CV person and there is a displaced hospital person that your manager can fill your spot with (they can backfill your spot by the way, but if they think that the quality of people is crappy and they don't want to have any of those people, you can be denied) you may get it. Also, if ZS determines that business needs don't warrant your position at all, you were probably going to be what are they calling it now "optimized" ? then you will be let go. I was very tempted to be let go, simply for the sense of control (even tho that is not guaranteed) but I did not do it, even tho i think the end result will be the same. The other factor is the number of hand raisers…..lets say for example that 10 people in your area raised their hands - from all 3 groups being effected then you will be in a worse position than if you are the only person to have raised your hand….. there are many factors… best of luck , I hope you get what you want!

5. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

For some folks the "handraising" sounds good for a number of reasons. Maybe it's the severance, medical bridge or simply that you're tired of the insecurities surrounding your life and family. One thing to keep in mind is that you need to stay vigilant with your job search so that you don't find yourself without a job or one that won't pay the mortgage. The future is about as uncertain as ever for this industry and Merck. If you look at it rationally it's hard to justify retaining reps when Zontivity/Grastek and CV meds aren't selling. With Merck lacking in transparency you have no clue about your future and where you'll end up. LERs are going away and that puts you back down the "band" and cuts the severance benefits that you would have gotten in 2015 if you were still a band 5 and let-go. It's ugly and managed care and access isnt getting any better. The business model of having a Merck rep in the same office every week isn't well received. There is a lot of unhappiness and uncertainty going around right now and for many reasons. Good luck and good selling.. Just happy to be here.....

6. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

hand raising is a great option for some people for sure, which kind of surprises me that so few people actually did it. If I get packaged out there is NO way I would even remotely consider pharmaceuticals again. no way no how….. this has been a life sucker job for way too long and I suspect that many of us (most of the people I speak to) are only doing it for the money at this point. While I am grateful to Merck for the experience, the pay, the benefits, many of the good people, some of the amazing products we've developed, i can say with complete conviction that this is NOT the company I joined 20+ years ago. We have so totally lost our way and lack leadership inspiration, its no longer a "life affirming" culture but a truly "life sucking" culture. And I see good people fall in to it out of fear of losing their jobs…I really don't want to live like that anymore … its sad to see because there are some really good people at merck, who could probably do really good things if they weren't lead by the bunch of complete butt holes that run this place….. ahh never mind, nothings going to change…..same old shit next year….in spite of it, I wish merck the best..

7. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

I sounded just like you when I was still with Merck...."no way no how...never doing pharma sales again"....especially contract sales. Well, guess what...I'm now almost two years out of work....reinventing yourself, if you are in your 50's, is rather unrealistic (i.e., if you've never sold, say, software, you won't get an interview to sell software, etc.) Not only that...re-entering pharma, with 20 years of experience, is more likely to NOT get you an interview. Unemployed pharma reps are a dime a dozen, and companies (including CSO's) are choosing younger (cheaper) candidates. It's not a pretty picture out there for the older rep...so as "life-sucking" as you find Merck, stay until the bitter end.

8. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

I could have written this reply verbatim except I did take another pharma job at about $30k less in salary and $10 less in bonus. No choice because I have a young family. Now I share a room at meetings, write out details and work with new hires just out of college. If you get along with your manager, ride off in the sunset with what you know.

9. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

I would have gotten my bridge if I asked to leave. Instead I got a surprise cut with no bridge. So close and gone.

Better check into the bridge if you plan to ask for that hand raiser!

10. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

11. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

This doesn't make sense. The hand raising is simply nominating yourself - you get no different benefits than if you were simply selected to leave. Its all in the SPDs. Its all about years of service (at least 10) and age (think it's 50 1/2 now - you'd need to check SPD). If you meet that criterion you would receive a bridge whether its your choice or Merck's.

12. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

sounds like someone didn't read the new bridge age etc…that is a bummer… its all on the synch page and they are raising the bridgeable age every year for the at least one more year….if you in a certain range (I don't know for sure) but around 48-49 and are missing it by a year then you are always 1 year behind the 8 ball till they stop raising the age.

13. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

What about older employees who are well over the bridge age? They're being denied the bridge for a few months or weeks of service requirement. Incredible. Their money and purchasing retirement subsidized healthcare is being denied. Nice way to treat good workers. Most are in situations where they need the benefits and the pension money due to the job market for older workers.

14. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

what the hell are you talking about, anyone who is bridge eligible will get a bridge. Stop spouting stupid uniformed shit. its a legal issue well above Merck.

15. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

lets hope some legal eagles swoop down on Merck and make them treat the greys with fairness!

16. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

There is no bridge unless the company gets rid of you. If you leave on your own, you are sol.

17. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

What is the current bridge age and does it change in 2015? I can't get a straight answer from HR

18. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

I too said when I left Merck in June that I would run far away from pharma, but I didn't. There are still jobs that pay and companies that operate as we "old timers" remember. I landed a great job -- with a raise (I make over $100k) and comparable bonus ($33k) with better benefits (time off, med/ dental etc). And no micro management. Just look at the smaller specialty companies focused on orphan conditions and drugs.

19. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

search synch for separation benefits. 51 for 2014, changes to 52 in 2015

20. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

Where? I am out and have had dozens of interviews and good complements. They want exactly the requirements. Most jobs are already taken when you intervew. They also are not willing to pay even 90, most 60-80. Even CSO is hard to get since they place former workers on most open jobs. Being forced into contract if you can even get it or being out of work a year or more is the reality for many reps. This is being honest and know two others in same situation and they were repeat VP trip winners.