How to get into field

Discussion in 'Stryker' started by Anonymous, Apr 15, 2014 at 7:34 PM.

Tags: Add Tags
  1. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

I have a BS in Exercise Kinesiology. I graduated in Dec 2011 and have been working as a Strength and conditioning coach since. I have experience in sales but only selling myself and training packages. I'm good at what I do but I want to get into device sales. Can anyone point me in the right direction?

2. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

do copier sales or some other b2b gig for a few years, get some numbers and success under your belt. you'll hear the same thing from 10 more posters, guaranteed. you wont get in right now at stryker.

3. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

did you play ball in college? if so Stryker will hire you on the spot.

4. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

Try Synthes too. They are hiring people just out of college. Or tell the companies your dad is a surgeon. Guaranteed an opening with a relative as a surgeon !!!!! Don't let these younger reps tell ya different, money talks load an clear.

5. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

BS in Ex science here too in 2010 and got my CSCS but switched to focus on building my sales resume. Now finishing up my 2nd year of outside med equipment b2b for a McKesson owned company, ive been interviewing for entry level/associate roles in orthopedic, sports med, trauma, surgical, endo lately, just looking for the next right big move. The stable b2b, even better if you can land medical, is what gets you looked at. Stay in that b2b for 2+ years, network the shit out of your peers and their peers too also because its all referrals these days but you also have to be qualified and show them you're ready for the grunt work. All the entry level peon positions are looking for the copier sales, enterprise, Xerox, Cintas etc. people .make that move, build that resume with stability, numbers & awards, build that network (linkedin, in the gym, bars whatever) crush it and keep stepping stones all the way to the top. hope this helps

6. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

You should look at opportunities with Styker Sustainability Solutions- it is a great division that
    will often hire less experienced (yet talented people) for the ASR roll so they
    can learn the business. If you do well you can quickly be promoted to a sales rep. Good luck!

7. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

I'velooked into sustainability solutions. Any advise on resume tips or anything else in general when applying?

8. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

Yeah, that business plan worked great for Synthes in NJ. They hired a kid yrs ago whose father is the chief at Trinitas. He doesn't cover the hospital every day as their first rep, but everyone knows who is calling the shots for that hospital behind the scenes. I wonder if the DOJ is reading this website? I bet they would love to look into this a little further to see if any unethical things are going on? It's a little suspicious if you ask me how a Chief's son can work for Synthes in every hospital around his......just sayin

9. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

Brother, do yourself a favor and consider another industry.

These devices are over-priced and the people you meet are the biggest goofballs you will ever run across. Add the customers that you will be calling on (knucklehead doctors/surgeons that are arrogant and borderline sociopaths, and you have a mess on your hands).

Not trying to discourage you if this is your dream, but I am telling you what the reality of it all is.

My suggestion would be to go to PA school or Pharmacy school, if you can handle that. It is not too difficult.

If you want sales, I would strongly suggest moving to a top 5 city and they you can have your pick of some interesting sales jobs that offer very good compensation and meeting people that are not goofballs like you commonly find in the medical industry.

Good luck to you!

10. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

Post 9 is way off, just another CP idiot. The highest educated people are in this industry. It's a hard industry if it was easy everybody would be doing it. Some like ( poster 9 ) can't handle it.

11. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

What are you talking about. Some of the most talented sales professionals are in the industry but the majority are not....You my friend are delusional. This was once the easiest bang for your buck but is no longer. You can make good/really good money but not great. Making 250k is fucking peanuts for a top tier sales guy/gal. Established fund wholesalers can make that in a week, oil/energy sales has base salaries that high, analytical software sales that can be the norm. You guys think you are so fucking cool wearing scrubs and working in the OR. I'm not hating because I've been selling medical device crap since I finished college but it isn't highly regarded anymore nor is the most lucrative.

-like poster 9 said look for other opportunities to wet your feet. IBM, Blackrock, Salesforce.com, Google, Facebook, Accenture....You may start at 50k but if you work hard and keep plugging you can be way better off than most in this industry.

12. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

Well 50k is an awesome improvent to me. I'veworked with many people even professional athletes and I still only make 25-30k a year. Its very sad. I just need most of all to get rid of my student loan debt which is at 70k. That's the most important thing to me. I do love the idea of the field and I hope I can get into it eventually. Thanks for all the replies.

13. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

Tell them how awesome you are at picking up trash. Seriously do you really think collecting used and dirty surgical equipment in hopes that it will lead to a device job? Look at a different industry. Sales reps are becoming a thing of the past with GPO contracts. Not worth the headache

14. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

I don't have many options my friend. This seems like the best route possible for me. I don't care if it sucks I just want to make money for once. I feel like I'm in prison because of student loans. I can't pay the bills with my current career.

15. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

You are out of touch with reality. This business model is the future as hospitals look to save money and get green. I would pick up trash for $65k a year with the hopes of getting into device sales. A bunch of spoiled brats on here. $65/year is a lot of money to most people.

16. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

Thanks for your opinion on finance Mr. 70k in debt and have no job.

Yes 65k is good money. To most "average" people.

Go ahead and be average big boy.

17. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

The guy is asking for a start, not a windfall. Don't be such a dick.
    My advice is to network. Find a styker rep in your area and ask them to help you connect with the right people.

18. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

I've been an Ortho rep for 5 years and I agree completely with poster #9.
    Poster # 10 is one of the goofballs he is talking about.