Commission cut

Discussion in 'Stryker' started by Anonymous, Jan 28, 2014 at 2:59 PM.

Tags: Add Tags
  1. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

The average Ortho. Rep. earns about $150-$170K Deduct expenses and you earn about $140. You can earn that much or more in High Tech Pharma. and have a much better lifestyle. Often, with a company Pension and 401K. Sure the top 10% make much more but that still leaves the rest of you. Your end is coming down but the VP's still get their big Stock Options worth a small fortune. Now the General Managers and sales managers are in on the stock deals. Reps get commissions cut but management still reaps the big cash benefits. But don't worry, Sales Management has your back.

2. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

Exactly. Some "reps" merely put boxes on carts and wheel them to the room. Those of us who've been around more than 5-10 years know what the job is really about. I have two ASRs under me right now...one of them is starting to learn this a little faster than the other.

As for commissions cuts, it's the world we live in. Pick up side business. Those booths down at AAOS? They serve purpose.

3. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

My time at Stryker as a direct rep was a few years back…have they gotten lenient on you guys picking up side lines these days after their generous cut to 6% commission?

4. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

No, Stryker is just hiring a new generation of people to push their product.

5. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

Chopped to 6% and I have to pay my ASR out of that.

Leaving device and getting into energy. For 5%, its just not worth the headaches or the lifestyle. My compensation going to pay for fuckups like Neptune, rejuvenate, ShapeMatch, and to cover the MAKO purchase, with nary a word of how the existing sales source is going to benefit from it.

6. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

Just "roll around" with it! Isn't that the new Stryker catch phrase ?
    OMG, how queer is that?

7. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

^What are you talking about? Also, you sound like a child. Act like a professional....and if you're incapable of that, at least try and act like an adult. These forums are a mess because of people like you. Half of the discussion around here is a bunch of childish back and forth like the post above. Is it too much to ask to stay on topic and follow the thread topic?

8. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

Hey UPTIGHT, it's just what 6% commission will get an organization. 6% =6% kind of people and thought dumb ass.

9. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

Most medical device reps will be like pharma reps in 3-5 years. The industry is old and mature. Price is just like formulary was for pharma. If your not blessed with years of experience and relationships, Stryker is the only reason you have the customers you do. Not sure why everyone is crawling over each other to get into the biz anymore.

10. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

This ortho. business is addictive and very interesting. Many get hooked and are so addicted they lose sight of the rest of the world. Why work odd hours and not make any more $$ that a rep with a normal life style. Top reps in other businesses earn big bucks without all of the drama and trauma. Top reps on Wall Street make $millions yr. Top reps make big bucks everywhere and often much more that ortho. Open your eyes. Interesting business but fairly low pay compared to many many others. If you are so good working long hours and some nights and weekends why not do Wall Street and earn millions? if you are a low earner you deserve where you are.

11. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

Biomet Lanx

12. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

i thought thats what working for stryker and synthes was all about, opening boxes. Its not like you have to actually sell a doctor on your product. Your company does that when they hire them as "consultants" and bring them to the home office for "labs". You guys are the ones that are there to make sure the trays are in the room and fill them for the next case, no?

13. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

Or the guy who helps a young doctor through a case he has no business doing. Or having backup implants when something goes wrong and you need to switch gears completely ( revision knee components for a primary, going to a reverse, having a cemented stem or cables). Or making sure you have enough implants for all the scenarios of 6 joint cases in one day. And yes making sure the trays are in the room and filled. Not an easy task when you have 30 trays for a revision case.

Yes they are many cases where everything goes smoothly and you are just opening implants. But that argument could be applied for many roles of medical care and other jobs in general. The dismissal of what ortho reps provide has gotten out of hand. Not saying they are curing cancer, but to dismiss them as only box openers is not accurate.

Let the hospital staff run it and watch the everything that goes wrong. Do I think a rep is needed in every case done? No I do not. But there is an important role that reps provide.

14. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

I remember the day when it was worth doing all that preparation mentioned above, but for 6%? You'll tire Soon "Grasshopper"! Let those Demi-Gods and expert hospital staff run "the show" a little. The next time the doc asks you for a titanium hip stem and gets ready to cement it in, Let'em. We box openers didn't go to medical school. What do we know.

Reptrax will keep us in line and trained.

15. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

5% is a good round # for 2015. :).