Principle Centered Leadership

Discussion in 'AstraZeneca' started by Anonymous, Nov 15, 2006 at 12:56 AM.

Tags: Add Tags
  1. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

I got Dr. Covey's CD today on leadership, and he descrbed a lot about life here at AZ.

AZ's culture is one of distrust and control. It's a win-lose proposition here and a scarcity mentality. Just look at the bonus structure. About 1/2 of the people get paid good bonuses, and 1/2 get measly or no bonus. For the territories that get zero payout, I bet lots of those reps work harder than the ones that get 200%. They for sure are under a lot less stress at 200% than the guys on the other end are.

Covey talks about the systems that exist in control cultures, and he reminded me of Touchstone. He talked about how open or closed cultures in a company can be and reminded me of how I feel like I can't speak up on issues here unless the issue is how great things are. He talked about how the needs of certain stakeholders (like reps) are ignored and other's needs are met, to their exclusion. He reminded me of all of the training we are forced to do -- on "our time" during the holidays so we can restructure real quick-like, with no buy in or input from us at all, or even an attempt to get it.

I think someone up there ought to listen to Dr. Covey, and stop trying to patch things up with a mystery promise to make good for what they've put us through with Touchstone and the holiday restructuring! Can I have a life and work here too, please sir?

2. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

I saw that CP allows us to go back 101 pages at a time, so I went back and found this little gem. The only thing that has changed around here is the year. What are the odds that the OP is still around?

3. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

I'm the OP of the post from way back, not the one in this string but I noticed it and agree strongly with Dr. Covey. Another of his gems from The Seven Habits discussed paradigms. The reason things haven't changed is that the paradigm is the same. The "leaders" are navigating their way through Downtown Chicago using a map of New York City. It's clear to anyone with their eyes open.

It's the main reason why there hasn't been a new product since the company was formed, why senior executive's lawbreaking is routine, and why the shareholders have received no capital gains during the same period. The people running the show are immune.

A college business major could turn the ship around in a year. Instead, we have a corrupt leadership enriching themselves for the short term while spouting slogans, and nothing else matters. No other stakeholder in the organization has any input or voice.

4. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

I read the book a few years ago and thought exactly the same thing. I wonder if any one in leadership ever read the book. Nah what am I thinking.

5. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

MBA students do not study leadership. They study management of numbers. (screw people)

Covey failed to sell Principle Centered Leadership so he repackaged it as 7 Habits.

6. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

True.

But it's one think to identify the need for leadership. It's another to actually demonstrate understanding.

7. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

This explains why our management only looks at Dashboard reports. Shouldn't it be like Smith driving? Look out of the window every now and then and see what is really happening in the market place.

8. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

Has the basic problem changed?

9. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

the sooner you get out of AZ the better your life will become. Stop being a slave to this cancer leadership regime. You don't know how good you will feel working for a real company who gives you back your dignity

10. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

Well, why don't you enlighten all of us as to who is hiring tenured, fifty year old pharma reps. I for one am dying to know.

BTW, Covey's principles may have worked 10 years ago but they are not going to salvage what is really an industry that is dying and needs to completely transform from the top down.

No products & No R&D = Nothing to Sell = No Jobs = Nothing to Manage (except busy work so that someone above you thinks you're important.)

11. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

sounds like the poor souls on the titanic.... you have no other option than to ride the ship to the bottom of the ocean

if all you can do is pharma sales and not other jobs then this is a sad day. I don't understand how you pharma is the only answer. Broaden your horizon, go back and learn a trade heck volunteer.... get away from this death trap

12. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

I did and no employer cares. You reach a certain age and believe me, it does not matter how many credentials you stick after your name. All an employer sees is 15 years in pharma and old (really old). No employer in America can think past 5 years. Every one of them wantst to hire some competitor's worker or some young newbie with a fancy degree. What I may have learned and done 20 years ago is of no value at all. My recent degrees (yes, plural) either make me over qualified or put me back with the kids who have no experience in that "field". . . even though I could do the job.

So, I smoke, drink, lay around and wait for the big one as I still have a lot of life insurance and could at least leave my kids something.

13. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

And what are the odds you're still around?

And how have things worked out, Sparky? Is it true, is Mr. Covey right?

14. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

OP?

15. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

I think what we should do is focus on skin color, and everything else will fall into place. The problem with America is that the white people get more.

16. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

The problem with Astrazeneca is summed up in one sentence.

Leadership leads and follows out of fear! Until people can voice their opinion nothing will ever change.

17. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

That is the problem, your kind of thinking !

18. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

Take a look at this website and all will be explained. This is how you are being manipulated.

http://www.zsassociates.com

ZS Associates is one of the world’s largest business services firms specializing in transforming sales and marketing from an art to a science. We help clients gain market share at lower cost by creating data-driven strategies that they can implement rapidly. We also take on complex sales and marketing operations to make our clients more competitive.
    Mission: We’re in the business of turning the art of demand generation into a science.