Bad Managers at Ortho McNeil

Discussion in 'Ortho-McNeil' started by Anonymous, Jan 28, 2010 at 9:16 AM.

Tags: Add Tags
  1. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

Bad Bosses: What Kind are You?

Time to Face Your Reports

The day of reckoning has arrived. Your leadership skills need an overhaul. Any of these shortcomings sound familiar?

1. Don't Know Your Job

You take over calls. Doctors and staff think you are an idiot because you ramble on and say nothing. You can't read spreadsheets and you constantly get it wrong or don't understand the questions well enough to be able to answer anything intelligently. You don't communicate with the team at all. Rumors get started because you tell one or two members of the team and they leak it out to the rest. You lie. We know it. You think you are pulling one over on us. How do you expect anyone to respect or trust you?

2. Don't Listen

Have you noticed that nobody calls you? That is because you offer nothing. You get angry and defensive if a question is asked or someone asks for suggestions or a strategy.

3. Closed-Minded

You think you are the best salesperson and you have strong relationship building skills. You are too blind to see that you have zero chemistry with the team and the doctors.

4. Poor Preparation

You are so overwhelmed and stressed out and everything is all about you. Analysis of numbers is wrong half the time, you don't know answers to valid questions, and you knowingly omit crucial information because you are afraid of confrontation. Your whole game plan is to keep everyone at arms length with your bullying and threats, tell only certain reps valuable information, and mix in lots of lies so people are always guessing what you are plotting behind the scenes.

5. Not Building Skills

You need to build your own skills before you can even attempt to offer anything of value to the team.

6. Overzealous

History remembers the tyrants but rarely the subjects who did the heavy lifting. It's no different here. You've created a divide-and-conquer atmosphere, all stick and no carrot, where everyone should be the same workaholic reflection of you. Eventually, your bullying and rah-rah intensity produces one question: "Why?" You may think we should be in "for life," but what are you giving back in return for that blind loyalty? Enough with the same conference call chatter. Ten minutes to ask how everyone's weekend was? Seriously? We know how much money we can make and you don't have to have that skit rehearsed every week.

7. Don't Maintain Discipline

Do you really think it is a good practice to constantly berate the entire team for something one person did? Did you read that in one of your management books? Nobody knows what you are so worked up about and the one person who does thinks you are an ass. Actually everyone thinks you are an ass when you start to lecture. You also play favorites. Again, a big mistake.

8. Never Heard of Tact

You always remind us that we're replaceable and you will help us find another job. Yes, it's your legendary bluntness. Sadly, your lack of self-awareness results in everyone—superiors and reports—maligning or marginalizing you. You need to build and nurture relationships. And that requires people skills: listening, honesty, understanding, and compromising. Think you're up for that?

9. Lack of Influence

Next week is the managers meeting and you are not a rookie, but a last place manager. You were big on talk and promises but now everyone realizes that you have nothing to back it up. You are short on talent and results.

10. Blindside Us

Ah, there's nothing like a surprise. Whether you're singling us out in public or ambushing us in private, you're not afraid to render judgments and deliver lectures. Despite our advanced degrees and track records, you still treat us as servants. Instead of dropping the news all at once, give us fair warning when our performance doesn't meet expectations. Always take action immediately—and discreetly.

2. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

This is true at every company. Not just pharma. It's extremely difficult to be a good manager. You can go to every management trainee class and read every book out there on how to be a good manager. Being a good manager is about being a leader and having accountability. It's about wanting your people to succeed and go on to the next level. A good manager wants you out of the sales position your currently at in 2 or 3 years. If you want to go to the next level. Managers nowadays are under intense pressure. Especially in pharma. Like any good manager/coach, he or she has great chemistry with their team. Mutual respect cannot be taught. This is true for the subordinate too. You have to understand what is expected of the manager from his superiors. Leadership and accountability are what life in general is all about.

3. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

... if only our DMs were compasionate and supportive. My PriCara DMs have been lacking in this area. My last 3 have been self-absorbed, dishonest & incapable of having open (non-Kool-aid) discussion. They also tend to "disappear" by Friday at noon.

4. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

The very worst (and we have all seen this) - are the managers that talk negatuively about some of your coworkers while on rides with you. I am never naive to think that they arn't talking about me when they are with someone else. It is pretty sad. What ever happened to the manager that was supposed to back and support you? If you are a hard working employee, you should be able to reach out and confide in your superior.

5. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

so, what's really sad is that a number of really good managers, who were leaders, who cared about their people, who knew the business, were let go and these "morons" remain, how do you explain that?

6. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

PriCara DMs are the most incompetent of them all!

7. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

I find it very sad that PriCara DMs think that if you "micro" manage & give the REP a "kick in the pants" -- that they'll turn around & go to President's Circle.

8. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

managers like that are very insecure people. deep down they know they are way over paid for analyzing numbers that aren't even real. good managers are hard to find. when will big pharma realize you don't need managers? hire good people. with real sales experience. not the person who just graduated from college. not the managers son's/daughter's friend or relative. experience counts. relationships are what sales are about.

9. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

WOW! You should write a book or maybe become a highly paid consultant. You are really deep.

10. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

Why knock and be sarcastic with the poster? They are right.

11. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

Because the poster is wrong and so aren't you.

12. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

Re-read your post - you don't make any sense at all

13. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

My manager is OK..not bad..not great, he kinda looks like "The Family Guy"
    But he leaves me along so no complaints by me.

14. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

You are soooo lucky. My DM is a dolt. The whole district cringes at the sight and sound of him. He certainly got lucky keeping his job through recent downsizings because I think his superiors also find him to be dolt.

15. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

Arrogance is my DM's middle name. He does know how many kids because he never asks me anything about me. He is all about him. I hear about his kids, his vacation, his golf game and how he needs to get more Nuyc scripts. We have NO connection at all. He thinks he's so cool & he is so not.

16. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

I was typing so fast (w anger) that I meant to type -- "He does not know how many kids I have ...." because he doesn't care.

17. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

He sounds cool to me. I don't get to do all that stuff.

18. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

That is exactly how my DM is he sits there and talks about how crappy other reps are doing, yet in front of them he pretends to like them. I think at this point i think we need an overhaul of the management team and stop laying off reps. We are the hard workers not them, we are the ones that grind it out everyday not them, we are the ones that make or break the DM not him or her. As far as my DM goes he can go fuck himself and get out of NEPA and crawl in a hole and die.

19. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

I bet you are a real winner.

20. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

It's all a matter of degree. Here at Pricara, when I think I've had a bad manager then the next DM turns out to be WORSE. And I've had plenty. I've been with 3 major corps and I've never seen such seflishness or BS in management as I have in this JnJ division. There's no honesty or compassion. It's very sad. I would love to have a caring leader guiding the district. It would make our 2010 goals easier to achieve. We need supportive sources not a DM that fails to make eye contact or care (a manager that only cares about how they look to their boss, how much they make -- Self-serving). It's sad.