Your Depuy Distributor

Discussion in 'DePuy Ortho' started by Anonymous, Nov 2, 2013 at 10:43 PM.

Tags: Add Tags
  1. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

Does your distributor go to cases?
    Do they keep their distributor bonus or share it with employees?
    Do you know about the bonus even?
    Have they told you that your 2014 commission will be cut or are they waiting for that surprise?
    Did they communicate that the device tax would be taken out of your check or do they just take it out and hope you do not notice?
    Do they make seven figures for themselves (of course they do)?
    Do they REALLY care about you as an employee or are you just a means to keeping them strong from atop the pyramid?
    Do YOU realize the power that you have over them in the current model?

2. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

Dean:

Just say here in South Florida

3. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

HA

Do any reps really think that this is a 'fair game'? All over the country this is happening. Make as much money as long as you can. And anybody put into that role would more than likely do the same thing. Long live the pyramid says those on top.

Look at the debacles in the South West.

4. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

Do you think it is any different with the other companies? Of course not...

5. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

who hires the distributors?

6. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

Chambers

7. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

Willie Beers sells lots of third party companies in Solon OH -

8. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

This is a very good post. The dirty little secret is that the ortho reps that can move as little as a $1mil in business (with any company, not just DePuy) to a competitor and their present company knows they are unhappy get all sorts of side deals pretty fast (if they are smart). All of the ortho companies are actively recruiting competitive ortho reps. Sure, they look at the non compete contract. But, I see a lot of switching where I am at.

9. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

What a group of typical mid volume ortho reps. All of you have no clue what it takes to run a multi million distributorship.

10. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

Or do I know all too well? You have no clue.

11. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

Ok superstar rep,
    tell me rent, instrument purchases, inventory excess, liability insurance, workmans comp, payroll tax, internal staff salaries, insurances, benefits, hr legal expenses, legal dealing with parent company, legal to ensure compliance etc, junior rep salary insurances benefits, legal to ensure 1099 s are running correctly, corporate payroll tax, state tax if applicable,
    time babysitting you 1099 whiny reps who are never satisfied, dealing with hospital consultants dropping price, corporate commission games, unrealistic corp quotas, brain dead senior management who has no clue,
    you sit back get your commission checks, bitch about expenses but get paid no matter what once a month, the boss gets paid last after expenses remember that, you have a bad month if affects distributor bottom line, it only affects your monthly.
    Im not saying distr do not make great livings but there is more than you ever know to deal with
    how about lack of rep loyality and constant bitching not only to other reps but customers then jump ship for greener pastures
    tell you what keep bitching go direct enjoy your 5 percent, benefits, weekly conference calls to let them know what you did this week and going to do next week, I recommend taking a night excel class to keep up with the direct spreadsheets plan on Monday night conference calls around 5 to 7
    grass is no greener either as you look at your distrib as you look at your senior rep as you look at other companies

12. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

That last post was dead on! Some reps have no idea what it takes to run a multimillion dollar business as they are only concerned about their little world. It is a shame because that is all they will ever do.

13. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

I think the truth is somewhere in between these post. Yes, I'm sure a lot of reps don't fully understand what is involved in getting their instruments and commission check. For that matter, what it means to run a business. I also know that most of the distributors( or at least ours and others in the region) make at least a million dollars a year. I know that these distributors don't work any harder or deal with anything that other businesses with similar profit deal with. If you want to make that then you have to deal with the headaches involved. I do think that distributors can help or hinder their reps grow the territory. Our distributor doesn't leave his home city to go out and meet surgeons or shake hands very often. We are asked weekly to send back inventory and run with the bare minimum. This means we are spending more time coordinating inventory and instruments than selling and than most of the competitors. It is pretty well known that our distributor is milking as much profit as he can for the next 2-5 years after which he will retire. I talk to reps from other distributorship and their distributors are more involved. They join them at business dinners, they go see customers, they give them the needed inventory and instruments. They are more invested in the well being of the reps than just their profit margin. So I am not complaining because I don't understand everything that is involved with being a distributor. I am frustrated that our distributor has basically checked out of caring about anything more than bottom line. He has stopped investing in inventory and instruments to help concert new business. I think it is ridiculous that he hasn't been to a territory to see docs in over two years. He has a plane so it shouldn't be that hard.

14. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

I completely agree with your comments. I am sickened by my peers who are hands off! Until you and your senior reps get the ear of Chambers or and other vp of sales in your respective companies these guys will milk every penny. But if numbers are there then no one cares bottom line. I am not with Depuy but I seem first hand what a joke not only the distributor I go against organization is, but also in another state where I have business non joint line which enables me to see what a joke it is there too

squeaky wheels get oil point out to senior management how bad things are and point out what competitive organizations are doing in your area

15. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

What percentage do distributors get? What percentage do most reps get? Can you elaborate on corporate bonus?

16. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

How, at Depuy, do they replace a distributor if the territory isn't doing well. Choose someone from the territory or corporate or go direct?

17. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

my guess every situation is different depends if there is an heir apparent in the area but that is not always the case
    South Florida a few years ago had a great manager in place made a change brought in someone from Corp and are a joke now several years later the depuy manager went to another company with a few team members and it ended up in the courts

sometimes they hire a local competitor with relationships

crap shoot

18. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

Your distributor is eligible for a 250K bonus each year based on certain growth targets. These targets vary year to year. Some (not many) dole this out as an additional bonus to their employees if the number is attained. Others put it towards the purchase of a jet, massage gift certificates, or high end condo leases for their mistress(es). The number is for real though.

19. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

Some put it toward offsetting their loss supporting a senior rep on their draw which they haven't met in several months but cry that they are making less money. Some use it to support hiring a support rep bc their senior rep doesn't want to run an instrument tray. Some use it for x mas bonuses on their staff that are not making 6 figure salaries like the reps but are solving their billing issues etc that the rep in the account cannot seem to get right
    Again, 99 percent of the senior reps do not have a clue how to run a distributorship. Put the whiny effort to hitting your number

20. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

And now they are going to put Hultzapple and Erickson in as our distributor in Colorado. Why not choose someone with a MBA? Someone who has put forth the effort to learn how to run a business.