Attune clunk

Discussion in 'DePuy Ortho' started by Anonymous, Dec 22, 2013 at 1:36 AM.

Tags: Add Tags
  1. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

Hey guys, I'm a fellow device rep, not ortho. Got my new Attune about ten weeks ago. Posterior stabilized because I had no pcl. I'm 55, not overweight, joint was shot from multiple injuries over 35 years of motocross, skiing, etc.

Overall I'm doing well, strength coming back nicely and getting back to normal activities. Only thing bugging me is clunking, mostly when walking and especially up stairs. Improves when cycling but doesn't go away. No significant pain with the clunks, just annoying. Feels like two separate clunks, perhaps one from the notch and the other patellar. PTs telling me no worries, hang in there, should improve. X-rays look great, ROM is back to 0-120 and improving.

Would love to hear your thoughts and advice. Please no trash talking from competitors. Thanks!

2. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

I am a competitor... But am not going to trash this product. I did work for DePuy in the past. I will say the PFC sigma PS had a patella clunk problem. I am not sure if the Attune has any of the design features that the PFC had. I do know that our company had the same issues with a previous design. You should have no "real" issues besides that annoying clunk. It is after all artificial. No doubt it will be annoying but if the knee was placed well you should get many years out of it. I wish you well and maybe this is a short term problem!

3. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

Thank you for the classy reply! It does seem to be improving as I get stronger. My primary goals are to be able to ski (no bumps), drive (race) and hike with my wife. I know that at 55 I want to get as many years as possible out of the joint so just want to be sure there isn't an issue that will wear the joint out prematurely. Thanks again for your response!

4. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

Competitive manager. The clunk is caused by the tracking of the patella, Depuy has dealt with problems like this with an older system but this is the first I have heard with attune. In the big picture this is a minor problem and 9/10 times can be fixed via arthroscopic surgery.

5. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

not according to Doug Dennis

6. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

A big consideration when designing attune was to address patellar clunk. Sigma did have some problems due to the larger box cut and the geometry of it. If there is someone having an issue with clunk with Attune then it is something they would most likely would have had with any other implant.

7. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

Just because patella clunk was considered by Depuy doesnt mean that it was actually fixed. The good thing is that it should only continue to be an issue with sigma user because they are the only people who are actually using Attune. Attune only brought them up to the same playing field as all the other old designs on the market from the other companies.

8. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

Competitor rep asking, "Would you get one on the other side knowing this?"

9. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

Lol, I knew you Stryker guys wouldn't be able to resist a good bashing opportunity. There are plenty of articles in the literature about clunk with Stryker knees, too.

The clunk is improving nicely with PT. I barely notice it now, mostly just climbing stairs, and there is no pain associated with it. I'm betting it becomes a non-issue over time and worst case I'll get it scoped. Overall my knee is strong, my motion is excellent and I am resuming normal activities nicely. Sorry to disappoint you but yes, I would have an Attune in my other knee, too.

10. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

im a Zimmer rep and love a chance to bash Stryker but I am unaware of any clunk issues of current knees besides Depuy knee's. im not surprised that Attune is still having these issues. Good thing about getting an Attune on the other side is that you can get double the settlement after they fail!

11. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

Not a stryker rep...but wondering why you have such a strong allegiance to Depuy or attune in general? Most people never have another surgery on a TKA and you speak of a scope like its a common thing. Please share your literature on clunk with us.

12. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

Crickets...

13. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

Sorry, been really busy.

Update: Big improvement! Clunk is essentially gone now, just occasional when going up stairs. Just hit twelve weeks post-op and doing everything well. My PT is pushing me hard, doing lunges, one leg weight work, everything. I am quickly joining the big group of people I know with total knees and hips that are very happy.

14. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

P.S.: Being scoped is no big deal to me because I've had 3 arthroscopies on my right knee keeping me going until the TKA and one arthroscopy plus an ACL on my left knee. What can I say, you play you pay...

15. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

Very happy to hear you are doing well! Glad it was a short term issue...get back to having fun.

16. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

Thanks!

17. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

Another post about DePuy TKAs clunk. What's new?
    This has been a 20 year discussion.

18. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

Attune just removed from my hospital. Clunk was the reason.

19. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

There is no way that would happen regardless of company or problem. If true name the facility.

20. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

Competitor here.....another competitive manager said the clunk could be fixed with a scope.....not necessarily. Crepitus caused by clunk can be cleaned up with a scope, but the clunk is a mechanical impingement. The patient said he had a PS knee. I would assume the clunking he feels is the extended (fixed from clunk) trochlear groove contacting the anterior side of the PS post. I could be wrong I haven't really looked at Attune much, but Ive sold Vanguard and NexGen and they both had that issue of the patella clunk-free extended groove clunking the front of the post.