*NEWSWORTHY* NUEDEXTA treats PBA and changes lives:

Discussion in 'Avanir Pharmaceuticals' started by Anonymous, Dec 10, 2011 at 2:55 PM.

Tags: Add Tags
  1. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

First of all some 2011 CBS News coverage with Dr. Jonathan Fellus; why is CBS inviting Dr. Fellus on to speak to the nation month after month?

http://www.cbsnews.com/video/watch/?id=7363867n
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UO_CvWRAxRk
    http://www.cbsnews.com/video/watch/?id=7257917n
    http://www.cbsnews.com/video/watch/?id=7386396n

Dr. Jonathan Fellus' comment from October 2011 regarding PBA and Nuedexta:

http://www.psychologytoday.com/blog/neuronarrative/201110/not-all-crying-is-depression-understanding-pseudobulbar-affect

Dr. Jonathan Fellus, a neurologist and expert on PBA, says that one of the reasons why PBA is misunderstood is that it's so often mistaken for depression. "Well-meaning medical professionals misinterpret symptoms and tell patients they are depressed and just don't know it. They then prescribe an antidepressant, which in most cases won't work and the patient continues to suffer."

To determine if a patient is suffering from depression or PBA (or possibly both), Dr. Fellus has developed a screening method that focuses in on what triggers the emotional response. During the course of a calm discussion with the patient, he narrows down the topics--perhaps having to do with family members or situations at work--and eventually he and the patient come across one that elicits unexpected crying or laughing. Once triggered, the response is uncontrollable and ends quickly.

"One of the main things that distinguish PBA from depression is that the emotional episodes are unpredictable and very short, ranging from seconds to minutes, and they occur multiple times a day. They require a great deal of energy to hold back."

The side-effects for PBA sufferers include feelings of emotional exhaustion and, frequently, social isolation. Without realizing that they have a medical problem, people with PBA often adapt their lives to avoid things that trigger the response, including interacting with others unless they absolutely have to. With social isolation comes more negative emotion that can over time manifest as depression.

While all of this may sound like new knowledge about a recently discovered disease, PBA has actually been well-documented in the medical literature for more than 100 years, though it has been labeled at least ten different things during that time. One of the earliest terms for the condition was "reflex crying" (a term now associated with babies' sudden, uncontrollable bouts of crying). Even Charles Darwin described the disorder in his seminal text, The Expression of the Emotions in Man and Animals, 130 years ago.

Until recently, however, PBA patients suffered without hope of treatment. About 15 years ago, a medication being tested to treat ALS patients was found to stop the episodes of laughing or crying these patients regularly experienced. As it turned out, the treatment was not approved to treat ALS but was subsequently approved to treat PBA and became available in January of this year.

Interestingly, the active ingredient in the medication (called Nuedexta, made by AVANIR Pharmaceuticals) is dextromethorphan--the same drug found in many brands of cough syrup. (You cannot, however, self treat PBA by taking cough syrup; the formulation in Nuedexta is significantly different than anything available over the counter.)

The ability to treat PBA can change lives, and it's crucial that more medical professionals get the facts about the disorder and its treatment. According to Dr. Fellus, "Doctors don't screen for PBA because they don't know about it, and patients don't tell their doctors about their symptoms because they don't recognize them as symptoms." That has to change, and when it does thousands of people who would otherwise suffer in silence will benefit.

2. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

Amazing how new success stories are out regularly.

3. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

Every time I watch Modern Family I laugh uncontrollably to the point that tears run down my face. I must have PBA! What a bunch of happy horse sh*t. Fibromyalgia, restless leg syndrome, IBS, PBA, when will the pharmaceutical industry stop fabricating "disorders" to pedal their wares?

4. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

the saddest thing in life to me is when I see a person announce their ignorance on a subject and doing it like they are the Expert! I suffer from Fibramyalgia, which is a diagnoses of exclusion. no lupus, no ms, but constant pain no-doubt, spasms, that contour all over my body, with an intensity that my spine and ribs shift out of place and sharp pains feel like someone is stabbing me in my head, neck and shoulders. My scoliosis was diagnosed as minor in the 9th grade. arthritis found only in my rt. hip, and also Sciatica. i was on a cane for six months before i realized what i needed to do to be able to walk..Yoga. for years people that knew me thought i was making up the Pain. smells, sounds, and light sensitivity would make me miserable everywhere i went. some doctors really don't have a clue but act like they know. finally they put me on Gabepentin/Nuerotin, 1200mg a day. worked a miracle in my life. I also have spontaneous crying/laughing spells which were being thought of as panic attacks. but pba is a much more realistic prognosis since my condition is Neurological. TO EACH AND EVERYONE I PRAY WELLNESS OF MIND, SOUL, HEART, AND BODY. take care to take care

5. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

So you should try NUEDEXTA, it may help with the crying and the pain.
    Good luck.

6. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

Pain. Yup. The reps are selling this off label for pain and for agitation. This thread is funny. Sure. Nuedexta can change ones life. That's clear. But it's the tactics of the sales force that will make your stomach crawl. Dirty company

7. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

All companies sell off-label dumba**. You obviously are not in the industry and I question why you are here. The off-label angle is dead, so its time to come up with something new.

8. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

You come up with something new. It is OK to promote off label and pay dr's for no show programs because other companies do it. That is weak and pathetic. Why don't you find a new angle. Justifying that it is OK because possibly another company does it. Listen to yourself

9. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

I think a new angle might be that Dr's are prescribing N off label because it works. Once these indications are officially approved this all becomes a moot point and we won't have to hear the naysayers crying about off-label usage and how dangerous it is for patients. The drug is safe folks...the FDA will do nothing about off-label sales because they know its safe too.