Top 10 Pharma CEO's Pay for 2010

Discussion in 'Abbott' started by Anonymous, Apr 29, 2011 at 2:29 AM.

Tags: Add Tags
  1. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

Top 10 Pharma CEO's Pay for 2010
    Poor Miles, hope he can survive this year.

1. Bill Weldon - J&J - $28.7M

2. Daniel Vasella - Novartis - $27M

3. Miles White - Abbott- $25.6M

4. Jeffrey Kindler - Pfizer- $24.7M

5. Richard Clark - Merck - $24.6M

6. Robert Coury - Mylan - $22.9M

7. Kevin Sharer - Amgen - $21.1M

8. James Mullen - Biogen Idec - $20M

9. John Lechleiter - Eli Lilly - $16.5M

10. John Martin - Gilead Sciences - $14.2M

2. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

Chairman and CEO of Abbott Laboratories (ABT) Miles D White sells 100,912 shares of ABT on 04/26/2011 at an average price of $51.17 a share.

3. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

This was probably an option exercise. Not a big deal.

4. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

So what is your point, Jacknuts? If you got into Stanford and came out with an MBA, and ended up at Abbott and worked hard and did well, and the BOD came to you and said you have done a great job, we want to pay you $25.6M, you are going to say what? Oh please no, just give me $125,000. These SOBs focus their life on the success of their companies, and deserve a heck of a lot more than a baseball player that can hit a little round ball more often than others can.

5. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

Just sucks that the company has layoffs an affects family's lives an Miles just goes on making 25 million a yr, and hes making these decisions to have lay offs. Really sucks that the days of working for a company for 20-25 or even 30 + yrs are over, companys wont allow it anymore.

6. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

To OP#5. It's OK to make 25 million but not when you have to lay of thousands to do it. You take food of people's table and you make more money than you can EVER use in your lifetime. That is and will always be a disgrace.
    That "let them eat cake" attitude is what sparks unrest.

7. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

So, I get it.... you want Miles to pay the employees that were laid off out of his salary. What, give them all a severance that lasts maybe 2 years or 5 or until they find another position?

Look, you are missing the "big picture". First of all, Miles isn't really making these decisions all by himself. He demands a level of performance from each VP, and it's up to the VP to deliver... not for Miles' sake, not for the VPs' themselves, but for the shareholders. And it's the shareholders that ultimately we really work for. Why not get THEM to pay the severance directly... why not cut the dividend in half to pay?

Your logic is just not there. Everyone needs to take responsibility for their own career and life choices. If you or anyone else is laid off, it's NOT the fault of someone else... it's due to the decisions that you (or they) made to get to where they are.

Wait, wait! I have a better idea. Let's blame China! Those darn Chinese are at fault for the layoffs. Or if that smacks to too much racism, how about those darn generic companies? Let's get THEM to pay.

Go get a grip on reality this weekend in your spare time. Good luck to you and your family; with an idiot such as yourself (perhaps) in charge, your family will need all the help they can get...

8. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

No, I'm not missing the picture at all and I don't or won't expect any CEO to pay employees from their salaries. However there are many cost cutting procedures that can be put in place and yes, some of those could include less $25 million salaries.
    No we don't need to blame the Russians, Chinese, Brazilians or anyone else. And I am fine, thank you for your wishes.

9. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

I am sorry, but I don't think you understand the point of executive compensation, either here or at any Fortune 500 Company. Is Miles worth $25 M/year? Maybe, maybe not. But that's not the point. The point of executive compensation is not for that particular executive, but for all of the other "poor" bastards that are trying to reach that level, and become CEOs themselves... to get THEM to dig deeper, to spend more time trying to out-work and out-wit the OTHER Executive VPs so that THEY can be the next King on The Hill. It is to ensure that they all invest all of their lives to be the next CEO. Those that can't make the cut go elsewhere, normally to a smaller company that isn't quite at the level of where they were before. The one that survives, gets the money. So it's not about Miles, it's about trying to ensure that the NEXT CEO is worthy. And the one after that. It's the SYSTEM of Capitalism, not the man/woman. Understand now? Probably not, but I had to try.
    Best Wishes, Your next VP

10. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

OK, so lets say I don't understand. Does your lengthy explanation make it right? And how does this "SYSTEM of Capitalism" help in the long run when you put so many people out of work and some may end up on welfare, unemployment etc. Their children are deprived of the education they might have had and on and on. Just asking.

11. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

And your explanation is exactly why we find ourselves in this problem. Not because of China.

12. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

The bottom line is that Miles is an excellent corporate politician. His interests are about himself. He survived the debacle heaped upon the company from his management gaffe while over ADD with the consent decree, emerged as the winner to the CEO position, has improved the compensation of his position by more than 10X since becoming CEO, yet has not delivered on the following...
    - productivity of internal R&D yet we continue to invest billions each year. Growth has come through acquisitions, which always carries a more higher pricetag.
    - real shareholder value in the terms of stock splits.

At the end of the day, he has created a culture of higher level managers that are more focused on personal wealth than delivering results for the organization. (A focus on personal wealth is fine, but not at the expense of the benefit of the organization. There should be a balance.) He is a self absorbed manager and a piss poor leader. What the company has become is an organization that is a leadership blackhole. The divisional heads don't even recognize what leadership is any more. They think its the person that talks the most, generates the most powerpoint churn, the passive aggressive person that creates an oppressive environment with a ton of duplicity. Its damn sad....

13. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

A-M-E-N!!!!

14. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

OK, I agree with most of what you say. Abt stock is bouncing around 50 which is just about where it was in 2001. And there haven;'t been any stock splits this century. But then again, how many big pharma cos HAVE had stock splits this century? For a big pharma company, just holding your own is a heck of a lot better than many are doing. Not great, but better than most.

15. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

The lay-off took place so that the company would cut costs and have a better showing to Wall Street. Miles could have given a little back from his salary so that so many people would not have to be cut. Why should all the sacrifices be made by the people who bring in the profit to this company? Unfortunately, this trend will continue in the future.

16. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

Last I checked J&J and Abbott aren't pharma companies. They are healthcare conglomerates that happen to operate in pharma...and not for much longer if they're smart. Executive compensation has nothing to do with employees and everything to do with shareholders. Stop complaining about what is right in front of you. Do yourself a favor and do something to help yourself stand out from your peers when you get canned...oh unless you're smart enough to get out before the axe falls. Don't be naïve like the dopes that got canned in January. Be proactive not reactive about your career. You are a number, live with it and go get em sparky!

17. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

Actually, ABT is a finance company that happens to sell health care products.

18. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

YOU my friend, might be the biggest dope if you think the people who were let go are dopes because they hoped against hope that they would not be cut. They took a chance because they had mouths to feed and bills to pay. Many, many stand outs were let go and yes, some mediocre people were also let go too.

19. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

i heard that pfizer CEO is only like 32 or 33 years old. Talk about overachieving.

Howard stern rules!!

Baba Booey!

20. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

This isn't capitalism idiot, it is a oligarchy and plutocracy= when the very few on the top have over 95% of the countries wealth. This is just pure GREED, and we know what happened in history time and time again when the haves had too much and have nots were in bread lines. So shove that in your preachy asss