DePuy or Biomet

Discussion in 'DePuy Ortho' started by Anonymous, May 22, 2013 at 6:29 AM.

Tags: Add Tags
  1. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

Which one for a local territory? Which one is truly best?

2. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

Whichever one is offering a better deal and has more existing business. Two good companies with solid portfolios.

3. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

I'm from Depuy and would go with biomet. Synthes merger and management that lies to sales force is wrecking Depuy. Pick up a sports med line with biomet also.

4. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

If I were you I'd go with the company that gets trashed the least in the media. DePuy is a political animal. If that's your style then there you go. I would have to say from my experience Biomet values their sales force where DePuy treats them as a necessary evil.

Good luck!

5. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

^^^^This

6. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

Hate to say it but agree with Biomet. In my area, Biomet commision rates are higher and you have the ability to pick up sports med and trauma lines. Biomet has excellent recon products as well. Unless you're inheriting a big Depuy territory, which if you were you probably wouldnt be asking this question, go Biomet. Good luck.

7. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

No question Biomet. Higher commission, full bag and strong support for the sales force. And last but not least a good reputation. Don't choose a company that you have to constantly defend the decisions being made by management. Read the news that will help with your decision.

Good luck

8. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

There are pros and cons to either. I work for DePuy and the experience is largely dependent on the distributor you work for. Products are similar. I give DePuy a slight edge based on RP revision knee system with sleeves. It really is unbeatable.

If the Biomet distributor pays a higher commission rate that is definitely a plus and you will have a more complete bag with trauma and sports med IF that is part of the package.

One big concern is where will Biomet be in 5 years. Their market share is small and the bigs keep getting bigger. If they don't merge with S+N sometime soon I'm not sure how long either one of them will be around. I believe Biomet is still owned by equity investors.......

I am no J&J lover by any stretch but every company has their own issues. Hope that helps.

9. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

Don't listen to above post. Revision knee system is needed because you will be revising tons of Depuy knees. And it's not that great.... Biomet is only way to go comparing it to Depuy.

10. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

I have experience with both. Biomet is the best choice. The pros are a full bag, as someone else said a good reputation, higher commission, relaxed corporate environment, strong sales force support. You can put most of management in front of your customers and trust they know how to sell and won't embarrass you. These are all advantages DePuy doesn't have. The only negative I can see is that old Biomet management is stuck in the past and sometimes hinders forward thinking. They also will fall on the sword for each other even if they are wrong.

11. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

Products from the bigs are pretty equal across the board but they are exceptions. Depuy's revision knees are the best on the market hands down. It is that great.

12. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

Mmmm. Koolaid.

13. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

mmmm...look at revision knee market share. How's biomet doing......jackass!

14. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

Yep.... Should we talk ASR??? How about custom products? How about internal moral? Should I continue?

Loooooooser?

15. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

Has anyone left Depuy and been able to convert knee rev business and shoulder business to Biomet or Zimmer. I'm considering making the switch and those are only two areas in worried about my surgeons pushing back. I sold sleeves and RP rev technology pretty hard.

16. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

If possible, ask some of the former Depuy trauma personnel that were assimilated into Biomet. They all were treated better than expected through and several months post acquisition. Coming up on 1 year, since the official ribbon cutting, so now is a good time to inquire.

Biomet is a good company, but its best days are in years past. Still, it is much better than Depuy. Granted, this is just an opinion.

17. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

The revision knee business will be a tough sell. I really like Depuy's system with the sleeves. As for RP primary's that is tough also because it is hard to change the mind set of those surgeons. However they love the oxford and the rest of the bag is great. Shoulders are a slam dunk now. Biomet has done a great job updating that system. Primary hips and revision hips are great as well. It was hard for me to leave Depuy but it was worth coming over to Biomet.

18. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

It would be nice if Biomet and S+N would merge so they could continue to compete with the big boys. Leave Biomet management in place. That would give us a legit place to go. Biomet has a pretty nice bag. Again, it is near impossible to compete with DePuy revision knees. If you have sold them and our successful the competition really has no answer.

19. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

I do tons of revisions and never had to worry about Depuy stealing business. Don't know why your in love with the revision knee. Hell, most of our revisions are Depuy primary knees... Maybe that's why the docs don't use it.

20. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

Biomet has a great bag! Their ssk revision knee and hinged knee system are a slam dunk! But then again most are very good. I'd go with Biomet, personally, because of all their offerings!