Unemployment and Severance Double Dip?

Discussion in 'Ortho-McNeil' started by Anonymous, Apr 8, 2009 at 9:26 PM.

Tags: Add Tags
  1. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

Is it possible to get unemployment while receiving serverance? If so, is there any down side such as having to deduct the severance from the unemployment or visa versa?

Any ifo would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

2. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

Check with your unemployment state office...each state is different.
    Arizona says no, but California says yes.

3. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

If anyone has been through the process in CA, when would you recommend contacting unemployment? 2 weeks before severance runs out, to start filling out applications?

4. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

Like the other poster said. It is usually state dependent. I would have all the paperwork filled out the day your WARN act is over. It does not typically take that long to get a check.

5. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

If your state does not allow you to receive unemployment during the period covered by your severace, do not attempt to double dip. Systems are in place to ensure the integrity for those who are filing for unemployment are not receiving severace (separation pay) that covers the same time period for which they are applying.

6. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

Because of the VOLUME of lay-offs in the country, in some places it is taking a month. I would call and ask before I would wait until my severance was almost out. Just a thought..

7. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

DEFINITELY, DEFINITELY FILE FOR UNEMPLOYMENT! J&J doesn't want you to file for unemployment because it can lead to increased premiums, or so I was told. So, stick it back to the jerks who laid you off by filing.

8. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

Why do you need umemployment while you are receiving severance? Why not just wait to file when your severance runs out? You will be getting your regular paycheck amount until then.

9. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

do not be silly about this. go online and check how it works in your state. I can tell you that I worked in NJ and I am getting both severance plus my weekly unemployment directly deposited into my account. why would you wait until your severance runs out?

10. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

Yes I believe jnj pays unemployment claims against them,

11. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

i have been unemployed 9 months and do not double dip! (felony to fraud the state) severance will count against you and you will not receive unemployment till severance runs out, at which time you will get about $290 per week (if you take out taxes) for 26 weeks. if the 26 weeks runs out, you can file for extension for additional 5 months. it sucks big donkey dick but better than sucking real dick for money

12. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

MAN YOU PEOPLE ARE ALL MORONS...........YOU CAN NOT UNDER ANY STATE LAW COLLECT UNEMPLOYMENT WHILE COLLECTING SEPERATION (TERMINATION) PAY! IT IS A VERY PUNISHABLE LAW AND YOU WILL BE CAUGHT! I WOULD FILE IMMEDIATELY AS THEIR IS A LARGE LAG TIME BETWEEN GETTING YOUR PAPERWORK VERIFIED WITH EMPLOYER BY THE STATE, AT LEAST A MONTH WITH THE JOBLESS RATE AT THIS ALL TIME HIGH, THEY ARE UNDERSTAFFED IN STATE OFFICES AND MANY MANY FOLKS ARE NOT GETTING THEIR BENE. ON TIME.......WORD TO THE WISE.

13. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

Wrong, check out "Susie Orman" and information on double-dipping. It IS legal in some states!

14. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

Yeah she said that on oprah last week

15. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

Hey, wait a minute. This guy must know what he is talking about. He used all capital letters in his post. HE MUST BE AN EXPERT!

16. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

I went to my state website on unemployment. We can collect severance and unemployment but benefits are reduced according to amount of weekly severance. Bottom line is it's better to wait until severance runs out and then start collecting. The Bush act signed in November extends a federal benefit after your state for additional 26 weeks if not employed. And the Obama stimulus recently signed adds $25 each week in a seperate check(fed vs state) sent each week.

It also looks like you cannot file to start benefits until one week prior. When I tried to fill out the form, it was rejecting.

You may want to check your individual state web site for "FAQ"

17. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

Who is this ignorant idiot? It's perfectly legal in CA whether you get a lump sum severance payment or over a period of time. As an employee in CA, you have paid into the system and you are entitled to it.... severance or not.

Do your homework dude.... before posting such garbage.

18. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

Over the years I have found myself in the unfortunate position of being laid-off in both California and Nevada. The rules on when you can start to collect unemployment were basically the same. You cannot collect unemployment benefits until all monies received based on your base salary are used. This includes: pay in lieu of notice, severence pay, unused vacation pay, unused personal Holiday pay. It does not include your bonus or incentive compensation or any insurance benifits included in your severence package.

Example: You were given notice on a Monday and put on terminal leave through Friday of the following week (2 weeks). You get paid your regular salary for those 2 weeks. Then you receive 2 months of "pay in lieu of notice", 2 months of severence pay, 3 weeks of unused vacation pay, 1 day of unused personal holiday pay, and $10,000 for your earned bonus or incentive compensation. You would then have to wait 4 months 5 weeks and 1 day to pass before you can collect unemploment benefits. The $10,000 is NOT part of the equation.

You should apply for unemployment right away to start the process. Your state unemploment department will ask you all the questions regarding what monies you were paid in regard to you employment termination.

Bottom line is you cannot double-dip using unemployment. Get another job before then and you can certainly double-dip that way! I hope this helps. Just get anothr job ASAP and you won't have to worry about unemployment.

19. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

Have "you" paid into the state unemployment benefits program or has your employer? Bottom line is to check your specific state's details. While in my state you can apply for unemployment, it is reduced by other income sources such as severance or even part time work and so on. If you want to "double dip" per se, get the benefit of both by waiting until severance is over and then get the full unemployment amounts. Better yet, hopefully we can land a good job while on severance and really double dip!!!!

20. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

The way to look at the question is this: A person gets hired and the value of the work done is paid by the employer. This includes social security, payrole taxes, insurance benefits, and unemployment. If the employer didn't pay them then your wage would be more. There is a "total cost package" that comes with the employment of every employee and that is what the employee is worth. The employee is who always pays for everything with the work they do to earn it.