Another lawyer running the business "priceless"

Discussion in 'Pfizer' started by Anonymous, Jul 29, 2013 at 8:12 PM.

Tags: Add Tags
  1. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

Didn't Pfizer learn from Jeff that lawyers without business experience should stick to their trained profession?

2. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

Trial lawyer turned Prevnar sales leader in pumps at 5 feet 2 inches. Truly classic. She's the archetype 50+ cover patient type.

3. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

Got jealousy???

4. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

So they didn't hire Amy Schulman, ESQ. as head of Prevnar sales to cover all that off-label promotion going on under intense pressure goals?

5. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

She has a good reputation as a people person. Lawyers want to make money just like you and me. Yahoo seems to be doing well.

6. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

true. go to the head of the class. did she not sell the nutrition division? i believe i have spotted a trend...

7. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

I think the OP was referring to putting lawyers with NO business experience or industry background in charge of business units, or even making the CEO. Perhaps she has more business sense and experience than Kindler, I don't know. But, common sense tells you that the person running the ship should at least have some experience in how the drug is made, sold, ...lawyers in charge=little getting actually accomplished - want proof of that, look at our congress

8. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

Amy's also been running Consumer for the past year. It's not like she just showed up one day from teaching law school at Cooley. Before she came to Pfizer, she was the managing partner of the largest law firm in the world (metrics: by revenue and by number of attorneys). Running her down because she's a woman is also wrong - what do her shoes have to do with being a good leader? I'd bet more than half the readers of this board would agree that being a woman does not equal incompetence.

9. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

Running consumer? She's rubber stamped and existing established (Wyeth) division Cavan Redmond handed her.

10. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

I don't think anyone ran her down because she was a woman, it was because she had ZERO business experience! So get down off your feminist high horse and relax. And don't give me "she worked for a large law firm" crap, nothing like producing and selling a marketed product. We tried this with Kindler, putting a lawyer in charge of the business, that worked out so well for us...Why Pfizer would put a career lawyer in charge of these businesses, as opposed to someone with practical industry experience, I just do not understand...

11. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

Why not Olivier?

12. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

She is not Kindler. Business as usual sales/marketing has produced big fines. What special knowledge does she lack? Bet 95%+ of sales reps. have never formulated a drug yet they sell the stuff. Same reps. never took chemistry or pharmacology. Statistics, math or any other science function important to this company. Perhaps, to think outside the box, you have to be born outside the box.

13. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

Or eat a lot of box.... That seems to be a recurrent theme with the whole PFE WIL program...

FWIW, I have a degree in math as well as a MBA. After 25 years in this industry, I'll forget more about this company and this industry than lil' Miss Silver Spoon will ever know (well, at least until she takes her enormous golden parachute and bails on the HMS Titanic, err, Pfizer).

14. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

Sorry to see you go then. I have deep respect for mathematicians (sp?). Company seems to like Executives from a few selective schools. MBA from Tuck or Harvard?

15. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

Wharton

16. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

Great school. Any FDA experience? Any experience in quality? The top two issues causing marketplace worry are: cost and quality of product. How do you measure up? What is your experience?

17. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

I'm going to work for a startup as their sales director. Decent money and an ownership stake. And it looks like I should have my pick of the litter from Pfizer, Lilly, AZ, et al... I'm just looking to work another 8-10 years, then move to my beach house in Belize full-time.

Nice knowing everyone.

18. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

I am guessing you are a lawyer also...and you are wrong, many of the sales reps do have science degrees...and I was not suggesting a former sales rep run the business, just maybe someone who actually had a little manufacturing experience, had actually stepped foot on a manufacturing floor...many decisions are in grey areas, reallyy kinda helps to have some practical knowledge to make an informed decision...

19. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

Experience is built in the Courtroom and Bedroom. That's it. Plus, I got a great pair of leather stiletto shoes on 56th and 5th. Chasptick, please!

20. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

Nice response. And very true. I am not a lawyer.