I'm so scared - Is this all for real?

Discussion in 'Merck' started by Anonymous, Apr 13, 2014 at 8:28 PM.

Tags: Add Tags
  1. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

I just can't believe all this is happening. I have been a scientist at Merck for 18 years and I am told our whole team is being let go this week. I guess HCV isn't that big deal after all. John - you let us down.

2. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

Contact Value Options and get your 5 free sessions. Please make sure all the test tubes are cleaned and dry before you leave, I have plans to move those to the new labs in China. And remember to ask for Merck drugs when you get sick (that is if your new employer offers insurance.)

Sincerely,

Ken.

3. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

Ken,

Do you still want your shipment of "XXXxxxxXXXX" delivered on Wednesday?

4. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

I am so sorry this is happening to you and your family (and maybe to your team's family too) Trust in God and everything will be fine.

5. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

Maybe God shouldn't let all of this shit happen.

6. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

Karma for charging such high prices for meds

7. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

59 viewing the Merck board, next highest is Pfizer with 24 viewing. You ain't the only one scared.

8. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

For about 40,000 of our former colleagues, it's been very real. It will be real for thousands more before the reality fully sets in. We'll end up a small vaccine company before it's all over. I wouldn't be surprised if we're bought up and the Merck name is discarded altogether.

9. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

If you are not working on PD1 or capable of being put on the program this will be you. They will peel away all other work and bet nearly exclusively on PD1 by fall. No other programs matter to them.

10. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

God wouldn't put a lawyer in charge of a R&D company. Tthe anti-Christ; maybe..

11. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

Oh, now it seems very real to you. Funny that. The scientist down the hall will be okay he is working on something important. I don't understand how anybody in MRL is "surprised" by anything these days. Have you been living under a rock for the last two years? Word of advise, don't try to get on a plane with a bowie knife in your carry-on luggage.

12. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

Even my CTL is a former attorney. He was apparently a bad attorney and is an even worse CTL.

13. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

Oh no. I probably know who that is. He victimized most of my old district, too. This has GOT to be a trying year for you. It was the worst period of my Merck existence. Someone else said it best---there's a special place in hell for that one.

14. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

Does this mean that they are cutting down on research resources for the HCV division? What does that mean?

15. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

That's the problem with this company. If you're an average scientist but happen to be working on the project du jour, your job is safe. If you are a top performer but happen to be working in something that had fallen out of favor, you're neck is on the chopping block.
    That's how we lost so many talented scientists and are left with average performers.
    That's no way to build a high performing organization.
    The stress this place is causing me is making my employment unbearable. Please give me a package so I can be on my way.

16. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

What project fell out of favor? Hep C?

17. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

Original Poster: Best of luck to you and your friends. Hang in there.

18. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

Please remember to buy Merck products, wherever you get your next job. And if you end up long-term unemployed and get cancer, please consider joining one of our exciting PD-1 clinical trials. Just remember if our cancer drugs make you even sicker, before you sue, remember I'm the Johnny Cockran of drug lawsuits!

Be Well,

Ken

19. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

And if any bad stuff goes down, we have an EAP program, so don't even think about suing for us having an insecure workplace.

Be Well (and you will lose if you sue),

Ken

20. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

OP here. I appreciate all of the kind remarks. We received our official notificatition and "walk-out" today. I thought I could handle it - I can't. I'm going for a bottle of Chardonnay and maybe an ambien later.