Do RBUs Go Away Under Ian?

Discussion in 'Pfizer' started by Anonymous, Dec 6, 2010 at 9:59 PM.

Tags: Add Tags
  1. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

Most people know the RBU structure isn't working. Will it disappear under Ian?

2. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

Yes

3. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

It's not working? Last year was the first time we made our numbers in what, 4 or 5 years?

I'm not saying that the RBU structure was why we hit our numbers, but it'd be hard to find fault with it at this stage (plus virtually every other company in the industry employs a similar structure).

Just sayin'...

4. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

Wasn't the current structure put into place under the leadership on Ian the Grinch. So why would he admit now that he was wrong to begin with. I believe the lack of making the numbers runs far deeper than the business structure. How about the fact that we cut good productive people just because they were older with higher salaries and we need to cut expenses. Our contractors are not truly invested in the business or Pfizer as opposed to full line employees.

5. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

Truely invested in the business. You make me laugh. If that is the case you might just be not only the one drinking the kool-aid but possible the one pouring it. It is just a job like anything else. It sounds to me like someone is a little to big for their own britches. There is alot tat will be going away with the direction the company is going. For you to suggest getting rid of someone or contract as you put it would be better for the company as a whole show your greed. Back in Gordon Geckos day greed may have been good and you could get away with it from time to time. Now people are demanding more and if you can cut payroll by going contract instead of keeping someone who might be overpaid for what they do make good money sence. Keep the stockholders happy is the name of the game. Contract in a way gives you the layoff by creating larger territories with less people to deliver samples. It doesnt scare the investors by announcing a large layoff which might spook some of them to think future does't look to bright for company or it's pipeline. Think of the frog and the boiling water situation. Unfortunatly if this country doesnt wake up soon and take back what it rightfully ours we are all playing the part of the frog who just sits there and thinks that the water is only getting warmer. Our only industries left supporting this lack of productivity is the people that supply anythng to do with war and or terror. Karma is what you just might get a big dose of if you suggest you are better than someone who is contract. I would suggest you do your job so when the cuts come they might think you make a difference. Otherwise be happy with what you have and don't knock others.

6. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

The main reason/focus for the RBUs was for accounting structure purposes. It provides PFE with a better way to align and track their expenses per division. Expenses per RBU can be tracked to each specific unit and it allows the CFO and his team to track specific numbers to each unit. Although PFE made it sound more glamarous! By stating that each RBU will be able to made deciisions as if they were running their own business. Well no RBU VP or RM made any worth while decisions that made sense or produced additional revenue at the top or bottom line. Hence most VPs & RMs are PFE born and bred and are clueless when it comes to understanding how that is actually done, they have soent most of their careers listening to one PFE dummy after another.

7. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

WHO made their numbers? Are you sure about that?

8. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

State Directors should. Why do we have all these people per state (SDs, RMs) not hitting their revenue numbers?

What a waste of money.

9. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

This post is just plain bullshit. Besides everyone knows consultants are running the show because the incompetent leadership has never been in sales or were terrible at it so they don't know what to do. The RBUs were formed to try and be more effective. Where you have good leadership it works, where you don't you get poor outcomes. Is that really a surprise to anyone? Before you say it, yes Virginia, most places it is not working, and you just need to look at the leadership to understand why, just as it is working and you can see why. Blaming it on Pfizer born and bred is wrong, there is enough incompetence from every single company brought in that made Pfizer the mutt it is today. They are just as much to blame.

10. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

Some of them will.

11. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

The RBU was formed to allow closer decision making to all customers. The problem is there is really no local decisions being made. State directors insistant on making decisions because they think their title makes them intelligent despite all the research saying it's wrong is a large proplem. Add that in with inaccurate data like IMS to drive decisions is a formula for failure. There are also over 80, yes I said 80 different position descriptions for "field sales" positions. Example:Everyone thinks the CGC is a waste of space but everyone is trying to do account management type functions thinking they can do it better, CAD, MAR, Hybrid, HIT manager, CAM, etc. Question is who is left selling to people who put pen to paper. We have very good access for the most part for most products yet we can't drive market share to ensure the rebates we pay secure our access. We are being outsold by smaller nimbler companies. Most of those 80 position have nothing to do with actually marketing or selling to customers. We wonder why we are not making numbers. The other post is completely inaccurate when you say the RBUs are hitting their numbers. Just the opposite. The market and business is changing and there are incompetent people running those parts of the business. Until we acknowledge that first and take corrective action we can keep adding people in all types of roles, cut expenses, decrease incentives, do engagement surveys and it won't make a bit of difference. More changes on the way more than anyone realizes.

12. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

Come on 80 people working on manage care/access?? Then why is Lyrica not first line for fibro?? In most cases pt must fail gabapentin which isn't indicated for fibro?? how is this possible with 80 people working the committees? And Celebrex?? two failures plus another criteria?

13. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

I think a key point here is that incompetents are micro-managing our world. But in talking with 3 diffeent state directors the mm is coming from marketing and human resources who haven't a clue on how to run a sales organization.

14. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

Make that different before the marketing spelling nazis attack me.

15. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

My friend - you obviously have no business background outside of PFE! I think that is why the OP referred to those long time PFE's as born and bred with no outside experience. It is true in most large scale companies, that when the ship gets too big, you divide into business units to track the expenses and ROI, to hold people and divisions accountable.

16. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

Actually I do, but you obviously have a myopic view and few deep insights into PFE. You indeed sound like a consultant or one who depends very deeply on consultants to your detriment and groeth into deep ignorance.

17. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

This is not neccessarily true if you have people who know the pulse of what is going on. The problem is there has been so much brain drain from retirements and layoffs that the people left at the high levels don't what is going on thus they do" something " so they look like they know what they are doing. Simply put, they are grasping at straws given to them by consultants, like you brilliant one, that they pay millions of dollars too, again to try and prop up their lack of knowledge and bad decisions they have already made, including letting very competent and knowledgable people go whom they either disliked becuase of their candor and were jealous of their abilities, or were outright afraid of because they knew they were empty shirts and these people might expose them. Just cold hard facts. Enjoy your fees, there is no apparent end in sight based on what we continue to see and hear. No one is asking those actually engaging the customers anything except a few surveys. And I for one have worked out of PFE and the industry. I also know these things to be absolutely true.

18. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

GET RID OF FRAN AND DAVE IN NEW JERSEY. BRING BACK AL LUSTIG OR TIM HOLLICK OR TOM GRIFFIN

19. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

Hello-
    Former rep here (downsized in Jan 09). I went back to school, and I'm working on a research project that will hopefully result in the publishing of a paper. The topic is step therapy policies, especially those that require failures on non-indicated drugs. I have found a few examples of state Medicaid in the midwest and Lyrica for fibro and for DPN. Please help- I need more examples!! Only a few states that I have found actually list the steps that are required on the PA form. If you know of other payers that put these steps IN WRITING, please reply!

Thanks.

20. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

Ian CREATED the RBU structure to make it easier to implement ATS plans. They are not going away.