When can we?

Discussion in 'Wyeth' started by Anonymous, Feb 11, 2011 at 9:32 AM.

Tags: Add Tags
  1. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

Go back? After our package runs out? 6months; 1 year; or 2 years after the October 2009 layoffs?

2. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

can we? The question is would they accept you?!

Better yet, WHY would you want to go back?!

The former glory days of pharmaceutical sales is gone. Take this time to find something else...that benefits you and society.

Take care!

3. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

Oddly enough they might? and trust me I'm scratching my head over this one. I've had offers and I'm even working but....they do not compare to what this current job has to offer. Even if I'm kicked to the curb in 2 years I'm still ahead.

4. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

Wow!

I was kept on by Pfizer much to my surprise. It is a very different culture than Wyeth, and I am still getting used to some of the differences.

But the bigger picture is that the current sales model simply won't exist in the next couple of years, at least in primary care. Sure, there may be a small cadre of reps around, but nothing like the past. Consulting companies are steering laid off pharma sales people away from the industry citing the unsustainable nature of the current models.

The biggest push in big pharma is the development of "multi-channel marketing" which translates to "any method of reaching prescribers that doesn't require reps".

Add to that the fact that decisionmaking on what gets prescribed is predominately in the hands of MCO's and PBM's, independent physicians who can make their own prescribing decisions are disappearing, access is dwindling and generics are on the rise and you don't have a really great chance at getting a pharma sales job unless you can get on a contract with Publicis, Innovex etc.

Lilly's ads for their expansion state clearly that those jobs have a shelf life of 2 years and that is it.

Pfizer just completed it's acquisition of King and are doing a "talent assessment" of their entire sales organization to determine who they will keep. Those folks will probably pick up some the Pfizer products if they are kept at all.

Really, you think you can "go back" to Pfizer. Frankly, good luck! Maybe you can pull it off, but I wouldn't bet on it.

I don't mean to be pessimistic, but 27 years in the business at various levels of sales and sales management with three major pharma companies and having somehow survived five layoffs tells me this is about over. The scale down is going to take out most sales positions in the next two to five years.

5. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

Well said!

6. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

Very well said PP. This is OP and I'm backing out of the interview process. The idea of training all over again, (like drinking from a fire hose) taking all those tests ad nausea, not to mention the legal juggernauts has pulled me back to reality.

I knew if I went back, my time would have been three years tops, but the pay is very decent. My plan was to sock it away and then regroup. With that said, regrouping in that manner would only put me 3 years behind the eight ball, IOW I need to do it NOW.

I have work but the pay and bennies do not compare however I'm actually content and not in debt.

BTW that's the key, getting out of debt...

7. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

Congrats for NOT trying to return. Really not worth it. As #4 so accurately described...the glory days are over.

Whew! Soooooooooooooo glad I got out when I did...and acquired true SALES experience, which has been a benefit. MOST companies were not viewing Rx sales as SALES, but promotion.

Good luck to you all !!