MRL is dead

Discussion in 'Merck' started by Anonymous, Apr 6, 2014 at 12:14 AM.

Tags: Add Tags
  1. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

We don't need scientists anymore. They are too expensive anyway.
    Let them go work for some other company that wants them.

2. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

You are right! All these losers on here think they are entitled to their jobs. I own a lot of Merck shares and I don't give a crap about the stupid employees. Give me my profits and call it a day.

3. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

what scientists? we have a bunch of hacks. just because they watch the big bang theory does not make them scientists. by 2015 they will all be gone. it started already.

hahahahahaha scientists ahahahahahaha that's a good one.

4. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

Yeah spoken like one of the Wharton School douchebags who have completely fucked this company up. As soon as the business types took over, Company immediately tanked and has been there ever since. Too busy jerking off in the corner and counting their money while the company goes to hell. As soon as we went from a scientist leader (Vagelos) to a business douchebag (Gilmartin) company went to hell.

5. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

Some day, in the no too distant future, these B-school buffoons will say, what happened? Drugs, phones and widgets are just products that take just a bit of marketing to produce revenues. Merck will never claw its way back as an industry player with these guys making the decisions.

6. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

With all due respect to our science colleagues, where were u when all of these poor decisions were taking place. I read a lot about how the business end led the company astray, weren't the scientists executing on the plans and if they didn't agree why didn't they speak up. Lots of blame to go around, but the labs are the ones that are getting blamed for our situation.

7. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

Yeah, sure~tell the VP, exec-VP of research or Medical Affairs that the 'target validation' study they paid for is incorrect. How long do you think any scientist would last with that?

Nobody wants to be told that their idea is wrong. Speaking up is not a real option. Just like it isn't an option for you (in sales) to speak up and tell them that the new iPad app is not working or that the drug won't sell because it is a 'dog.'

8. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

Peter Kim fired or marginalized anyone who criticized his decisions. It was a mockery of real science.

9. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

They are not leaders. Nothing but a bunch of timid followers. They are not men here or in their personal life’s. Remember, a woman wants a leader.

10. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

If marketing did not step up and support a new target or mechanism then the project would never get off the ground. My middle management supervisor would always go for feedback from some therapy area marketers and clinicians to look for buy in. We were also never provided any alternatives from either of these two groups. Guess how many novel ideas we actually investigated as exploratory projects? This is why innovation is dead. Managers that are clueless, risk averse and are most comfortable supervising process related activities. Fortunately this individual was dropped after a long lackluster career. My new supervisor has yet to offer more.

11. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

in steps halo

12. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

With all due respect to your naivete, surely you cannot be serious! Did you have the impression that MRL (or all of Merck for that matter) is some kind of "democracy"? LOL. Where opposing viewpoints are respected and considered? Where thoughtful difference of opinion or helpful suggestions were/are encouraged? Think North Korea, my friend. Three or four autocrats with limitless power and arrogance, and no accountability. And everyone else better march to their drums....or you're out on the street. Speaking up has always been/is suicide. At least for the past 8 years. That's why the really good, respected scientists voted with their feet. All that is left are 1) the handful of VPs who are given free reign to repeat the same mistakes over and over, 2) the yes-men and yes-women who are the Lean-Sigma and 5S enforcers, flooding everyone with stifling, unending process, and 3) the terrified bench scientists who have their hands chained, and dare not let out a peep. They know what happens to those that "peep".

RP has done nothing in this regard. The corrupt VP process-drivers and destroyers of research are still alive and well. It's no secret why innovation is dead and the pipeline has gone to sh!t.

13. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

That's QA, not R&D.

14. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

Doesn't give me a lot of confidence in whose left in MRL.

15. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

Rupert, thank you for speaking up.

16. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

Well said, could not be more accurate. Peepers are marked and eventually pushed aside. Too many backstabbers. May they all get what is owed to them. Bring back Roy!

17. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

A good scientist and great to work with. Common theme cutting threat

18. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

As a former MRL employee I totally agree. There is no innovation in MRL any more, just me too products. When I left morale was near zero and people did only what was necessary.

My suggestions are get your resume perfected, and start searching for a real research based company. I got out just before the "restructuring" last year, had I known I was going to land a job I would have stayed and collected the package.

I am happier and now with a company which really appreciates my contribution to its research. Instead of evaluating you on "metrics" your research is evaluated on the science.

There is life after Merck and the grass IS GREENER!

19. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

Gilmartin was Harvard and most of the marketers at Merck came from second tier MBA schools so at least blame the right schools. Hope that you're better with the data that you handle in the labs.

20. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

What's wrong with Shipley ?