Pharmacist to Sales Rep. HELP!

Discussion in 'TEAMM Pharmaceuticals' started by Anonymous, Dec 16, 2014 at 10:06 PM.

Tags: Add Tags
  1. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

I am looking to leave the pharmacy career behind. I did it for 14 years now and it is hell! I want to go into Pharma Sales. I think I could be a great fit based off of my knowlegde of drugs and my personality. I was not meant to give people pills and scan Doritos and Pepsi.

I need to get out from behind the counter and talk to people, actual professionals. What can I do to get into sales? I don't care about a pay cut. I am single and have no kids.

2. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

Contact Mr Blankenship, He is the the hiring manager

3. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

Hate to tell u this, but most Drs think worse of drug reps than they do pharmd's.
    U will have much less opp to use ur knowledge as most pharma co DO NOT want someone that actually thinks or understands something - too much liability of off label promotion (no joke !). Most co just ant someone to parrot a marketing message. Job used to be fun. Sucks donkey nads now

4. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

Don't listen to fools that previously replied. What's your background if u don't mind me asking. Are you a PharmD or BachSci or MSPharm? You would actually be a great fit and candidate for Pharm Sales role. It doesn't take a rocket scientist to be a drug rep. You know the drugs well, how to explain the MOA etc and you got key contacts at the pharmacies. Once the docs know youre a PharmD or oharmacist they would prob make you their fav drug rep. Docs like other smart people regardless what you hear.

Once you gain a couple yrs of Sales, you could apply for a MSL role. It's basically a combo between a sales rep and a pharmacist. You'll get paid prob $130k min for MSL starting bc of your PharmD. As a sales rep you may make about $100k total for starts but beats being behind a counter all day counting pills and dealing w the public. At least as a drug rep u get a comp car, work 25-30 hrs a week for FT pay.

Go for big pharma if you really want to get ur foot in the door w a pharmacy background. I know a handful of MSLs and other folks who switched from pharmacy behind the counter to Sales or Pharma consulting and they absolutely love the freedom and the job itself. Let me know if u want more info.

5. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

I have a BSci in Pharmacy. How can I contact you? Thank you!

6. anonymous

anonymous Guest

7. anonymous

anonymous Guest

I am a 3rd year pharmacy student and I am thinking of a pharmaceutical sales rep position and then advance to MSL later if I do get a chance. I have worked for CVS for 2 years and I like nothing about it. I could go for residency, but I want to start earning asap. I feel like I will like the sales rep job because I love sciences and sharing knowledge, but have no experience with sales. Is this a well suited plan or it sounds obnoxious?

8. anonymous

anonymous Guest

I can relate. Like you, I'm a pharmacist who did over 30 years in the pharma space. Some advice, Lilly has always appreciated hiring pharmacists. With the Lilly purchase of advanced oncology products/companies requiring skill... a PharmD will be an asset. Further suggestion, get an MBA...and/or get a specialty. I did a residency at Sloan Kettering and Lilly took me immediately. Maybe work with a dermatology office...or rheumatology office (or specialty pharmacy) and understand the workings of biologic medicine. Another avenue that will be a great opportunity to pharmacy is the growing legal marijuana biz. Look into GW. There are also opportunities in pharmaceutical marketing through agencies and education on companies servicing big pharma.

Important to note, a path can be to try being a rep...then move onto MSL. Frankly, you may be better off getting the pharmacy residency and then coming in as a medical professional. In the long run, will probably pay more and save time. Another avenue is to enter a grad program that focuses on compliance and FDA...that is also a good entry point for pharmacists. Good grasp of managed care is also valuable. Many ways to enter and make a living without the jive of CVS.

Good luck...pharma has been good to me.