How to explain to people what it is we do.

Discussion in 'Stryker' started by Anonymous, Mar 26, 2015 at 11:45 PM.

Tags: Add Tags
  1. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

Nobody outside of devices (majority of people) understands what the hell it is I do. I tell people I work for Stryker, like friends family etc girls at bars whatever. They have never heard of it, and I explain it but find it hard to explain. Usually get the blank stare back. It the classic nod and smile.

$150 k a year in your 20s is good, but this job is extremely hard.,rewarding and I love it, but do yall experience the same thing? I feel like people think I'm a male nurse or something. The baby boomers think device reps make a killing, but the millennials have no clue. All the millenils are working for start ups, finance, or tech companies.

Feel like this job has no social value. In the past the mega $ made up for it. Maybe explains why newer reps wear scrubs everywhere to justify self worth.

2. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

My best friend works for Medtronic and is a top rep year in and year out...and I have been in pharmaceuticals for about 20 years....and we tell people that we are high paid caterers.

and I am not joking.

Sure, we are good at sales. but, that is pretty much what we all do. the surgical reps as well. they are kidding themselves if they think otherwise.

The managers are the ones that really get the best ride in all of this. If you are in your 20s, then you should make a move into management as soon as possible, because companies like to shuffle things around to make it seem like they are "working".

Good luck. Find a catering company that will work with you, so you can grab a few meals on the side.

3. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

Stop wearing your scrubs and they'll stop confusing you with a "male nurse"! How demoralizing that must be confusing someone with such a high level of self importance with a person like that.

4. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

Wow! get over yourself. Who the hell really cares. Just do your job. Maybe you need to go be a male nurse for a while and get some humility.

5. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

No male nurses actually do something important like helping patients and not telling a scrub tech to grab either a 35 or 40mm screw. This post is pathetic. Keep looking for that social value.

6. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

Crazy idea here.... Tell people you work in medical sales. Most everyone with a head on their shoulders knows what it is.

I'd like to quote Al Pacino from the movie Any Given Sunday:

"You're VERY Young. And you're VERY stupid."

Be proud of your profession or find another you don't complain about or give a damn what others think. Me personally am lovin my bank account these days.

7. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

Very wise post...and I hope you are not spending a lot because you make a lot!

No need to EVER go on credit for anything, including house. Trust me. I was once a young stud rep that got forced out of a great medical device situation because of some nutty managers (wing nuts) and now I am still doing good, but not close to my hey day.

Good luck and thanks for your post!

8. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

Girls tell me it never feels the same after they've had me. I'm too big and everyone else has a snail

9. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

I have seen plenty of smoke show women w landscapers. Do you really need their buy in on your crummy bottom of the barrel ortho job to get laid?? It's not like you're selling pacemakers and defibs...

10. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

150k and no car and no expenses so you basically make 100k. Medical sales on major income correction now so may wanna look elsewhere.

11. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

Tell them you're a box opener.

12. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

That's what I do. I tell them I make almost 200k a year to be a PRO box opener. Now our accounts don't let us open boxes so I am a PRO plan C guy. If DR can't figure out plan A or B, I get my chance to fuck it all up with a plan C suggestion. I went to 2 weeks of training and I stayed at a Hampton. I know what I am talking about.

13. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

Agreed. CRM sales is a mans job

14. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

150k on 1099 w/ S corp spends like 225k.

15. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

Yiu can always tell them you wear scrubs to work everyday and people think you're a doctor. That's gotta count for smething

16. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

My kids always tell people "My Dad drives around hospitals talking on the phone"

17. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

Your kid wishes he could tell them his father is a CRM rep

18. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

And when your kids are teenagers they'll know better and tell people you're a douce bag.

19. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

Yea and he makes 250k you little brat .. You like those expensive toys , nice house , vacations and clothes ... Be lucky your dad does what he does .. Listen if you're looking for a job to define your life than go join the peace corps ... My job does not define me it PAYS me ... I don't care what other people think...

20. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

Been averaging 300k since i started in early 20's and I don't find it difficult to describe my job. People lump me in with pharma rep's and I give 2 shits. Who cares what you sell, who you sell to, etc... If you got into sales to help people you are in the wrong business. Sales is sales is sales. Hell my buddies call me an culinary consultant because all I do is lunches, dinner, etc. should clear 550k though