Tags: Add Tags
  1. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

Any info is appreciated.

2. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

They sell ass wipes. Seriously. Look it up.

3. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

Yes, they do. Personal hygiene products
    Do you know much about the company? (culture, people, etc.)
    Thanks for your help!

4. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

I quit Sage about 1 years ago. Good company to work for (for the most part). The company culture almost mimicks that of a fraternity. You have to pay your dues until you are excepted by the comapny. You are selling ass wipes and oral care, but they have found a pretty innovative way of finding a clinical use for a commodity. The marketing team is second to none and customer service is fantastic as well (something that can easily be taken for granted). Overall sales support is great. Believe it or not, there sales force is actually highly competent. When I made the move to the OR, I was expecting at first to be a little out classed by my new co-workers pedigree; it wasn't case. There are just as many morons working in the OR as there are at Sage (meaning not that many). Sure there are some shitty sales people at Sage, but for the most part everyone is very talented and cool. Thats the good.

The bad is, the money is average to below average (80-110), top reps (115-135) Very top makes about 160-170. In this industry that is on the low end. If you do not have medical experience, it might be a step up. If you do have medical experience, it would be a stupid move. It doesn't get you any OR experience, which is important in this business (which is a little rediculous, the OR is not a difficult place to figure out). You are dealing with nurses all day, which means you are allmost never dealing with anyone that can actually get something done (alone), everyone has to be on board (ie....all of nursing, WOCN's, Infections control and Purchasing/Materials Managment), not like calling on a surgeon. And worst of all, you have to inservice nurses non-stop. Very little of your time is spent actually selling, it's all about inservicing the nurses to get them to use your product. Their oral care product is a fabulous product, but the biggest bitch ever to implement in a hospital. And remember, inservicing nurses on the ICU means you have to be there at either 5am or 10pm (royal pain in the ass). Their CHG wipe is a total wash-up of a product and the Prevalon boot is way too expensive. There is no clinical data to support the use of the comfort bath, its all in theoretical. Sure its a nice product and most hospital would use it if it was free, but it is also expensive and immpossible to cost justify. Anyone that tells you differently is lying. The comfort shield (ass wipe) is actually a very good product, but who the hell want to talk about incontinence all day long???

If you do not have med sales experience I would consider it. If you do, you'd be stupid to take this job. If you have a good B2B background and you interview well, I would try to get in with a company like ethicon or stryker.

5. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

THANK YOU SO MUCH! I really appreciate your reply. I do have good B2B experience, but no medical. They had no rep in my territory for the last 5 years, so the company wants to get into this market. Not sure if that is good or bad.
    I hear that they issue you a minivan and 80% of the job is dropping off samples and later convincing nurses to actually use them?
    How long were you there?

Again, thank you so much for your help!

6. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

Where do you live, Canada? I was there for 3.5 years and did very well. The minivan sucks, but its a company car. Dropping of samples?? No thats not the case. Its nothing like pharma sales.

If you have ever sold a product at the "Major Accounts" level in B2B, the sales process is very similiar. You have to sift through so many differnt layers of decision makers to get things done. If there is interest the hospital will generally approve a Trial/Pilot of the product on one or two units, to asses nursing satifaction, ease of us, etc.... Then it goes to the New Product committee for final approval.. This whole process can take 2-3 months or 6 months- year. When you get a final approval, you have to implement the product (by yourself) throughout the hospital. There is alot involved, but the most arduous and time consuming is inservicing. I literally would spend weeks on end, inservcing nurses. That is generally good news, because it means it is probably a huge hit, but it absolutely blows. At least I hated it.

Thats pretty much the sales process. Over all, my time there was a positive experience. I made good money and made a lot of friends. Looking back though, I might have tried to get into the companies that I stated in my last post. I have a great job now though, so I guess it doesn't really make a difference. Good luck.

7. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

THANK YOU!!

8. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

My second interview is on Monday. Any advice?

9. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

This guy is absolutely right,

Great start to device sales, not a place for experienced device reps

10. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

Great niche market. Great products, great customer service and great support. Their CHG wipes are great if you can get a hospital using them off label. This is a good company to get started in medical sales and if you work hard, you can make some great money. I would argue that if you perform you can make just as much money at Sage, if not more, than the average OR device rep.

11. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

Some things must have changed since the original post. I agree that it is fraternity like. Its a private company that pays matches up to 10% of salary for 401k and pays pretty well. my first I made $120k and placed 4th amongst rookies, not including reps who had been there from a couple years to more. I made $150k my second year easy and am in mid 3rd year and will surpass my last years income by 10-20k. Once you're in three years, the serious raises start to come and you can make $120k without selling anything, 175k easy with a slow year. The customer service and sales support is top notch and better than i've ever seen. Great thing is that its an innovative company and they are always looking to improve their game. The company hasnt had a negative year from what i know and they're worst year they remained the same. Great way to start off your med sales career and judging from what i see, most reps stay because every year gets better with the company (11% attrition rate is pretty low). The products arent the sexiest but it is a challenging and complex sale which it makes it fun.

12. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

Some things must have changed since the original post. I agree that it is fraternity like. Its a private company that matches up to 10% of salary for 401k and pays pretty well. my first year, I made $120k and placed 4th amongst rookies. On the lower end, reps make in the area of 100-120k, reps who have been there for 3 or more years make around 150k on average. top 10 reps make $200k+. I think since this original post, there have been several new products that have really taken off and made these reps a lot of money. I made $150k my second year easy and am in mid 3rd year and will surpass my last years income by 10-20k. Once you're in three years, the serious raises start to come and you can make $120k without selling anything, 175k easy with a slow year. The customer service and sales support is top notch and better than i've ever seen. Great thing is that its an innovative company and they are always looking to improve their game. The company hasnt had a negative year from what i know and they're worst year they remained the same. Great way to start off your med sales career and judging from what i see, most reps stay because every year gets better with the company (11% attrition rate is pretty low). The products arent the sexiest but it is a challenging and complex sale which it makes it fun.

13. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

Is the company car still a mini-van as referred to in an earlier post?

14. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

Interviewing for an outside sales positon next month. Is the company worth working for?

15. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

Any new advice on Sage as of late?

16. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

What territory?

17. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

anything new? still a good place to start?

18. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

any info on Chicago and the manager?

19. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

Great place to work for. 401k has a 10% match. cellphone, iPad, laptop and printer of course provided at no cost. The mini van is still the company car but if they are paying for all the gas, why complain. There is always the option of getting a car allowance. All the managers are solid and are former sales reps themselves but of course some are better than others. The pay is great and much has changed over the past ten years as far as pay goes (in a good way). The top ten reps last year all cleared 200K+ and even the average reps make close to or around 150k dependent on tenure. The sale can be tough as there are many layers to uncover but that's why it's sales. The best advice for an interview is to be honest. Most Sage reps are very similar in nature in that they are solid professional people with good moral standards and work ethic. It's a very friendly and supportive company that soon becomes an extended family for most. Best of luck if interviewing.

20. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

Any idea what their base salary is by chance? Might be interviewing with them soon. Thanks all!