The rep-less sales model - coming soon to a hospital near you

Discussion in 'Covidien' started by Anonymous, Sep 6, 2014 at 3:37 AM.

Tags: Add Tags
  1. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

2. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

I heard about this. Ethicon has rolled this out successfully to several markets already. Medtronic is already looking at it for certain areas as well. Rumor is surgical supplies and stapling will be the first. Looks like we will all be on the unemployment line soon. Sux

3. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

It is a logical progression. Rep influence in the hospital purchasing environment has been declining for years. Selling takes place at the GPO/IDN level. Soon, only a small team of contract implementers will be necessary to help facilitate conversions and maintain business. This has been coming for years. If you haven't seen it, you've had blinders on.

Certainly no need to keep pausing reps $100k + to do this kind of job.

4. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

Surgical Supplies is likely the first place this will happen (let's face it, it should happen) Stapling will not be far behind.

5. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

If hospitals can do this with ortho and spine reps, does anyone really think they can't do without a suture or stapling rep in their OR's? Ortho/spine is one of the last bastions of relationship selling in the OR. Looks like hospitals are starting to figure out how to break it down.

At Mercy Hospital Springfield (Mo.), a pilot program focused on spine implants was so successful that Mercy expects to roll it out at four more hospitals this year. The hospital, which does 700 spine procedures a year, initially promised to buy 90% of its spine devices from Zimmer under a one-year contract. It hired two employees—a former device sales rep and an OR technician—to take on the service roles inside the operating room after receiving training from the manufacturer. The hospital recently switched from Zimmer to Stryker for its spine devices.

6. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

This may be inevitable, but the fact that device companies are accelerating the process, while eroding price and value, is disgusting to me.

7. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

At Mercy Hospital Springfield (Mo.), a pilot program focused on spine implants was so successful that Mercy expects to roll it out at four more hospitals this year. The hospital, which does 700 spine procedures a year, initially promised to buy 90% of its spine devices from Zimmer under a one-year contract. It hired two employees—a former device sales rep and an OR technician—to take on the service roles inside the operating room after receiving training from the manufacturer. The hospital recently switched from Zimmer to Stryker for its spine devices.[/QUOTE]

...so Zimmer fires their rep, drops their pants on pricing, and then looses the business after one year? Brilliant strategy.

8. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

Way to take control of your situation. Pussies like you deserve the unemployment line.

9. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

My customers went rep-less today. I played golf.

10. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

enjoy that golf game buddy. When you can no longer pay your mortgage you'll probably have to take a 3rd job as a caddy to keep the bank from foreclosing on you. We should all be panicking right now. I'm going to find a new industry because it's safe to say that selling in the OR is done.

11. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

Way to take control of your situation. Pussies like you deserve the unemployment line.

Actually tough guy, it was a metaphor. Keep sucking that c**k maybe they will keep you.

12. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

Listen you wannabe surgeons; a rep-less OR is a thing of the future and it is a thing of beauty. I am a sales rep, not a clinician. My sales should be conducted outside of a clinical setting and I should focus on growing my business vs. hanging out with friends in the OR. We had a nice easy run for a number of years but how many software sales reps go and troll a big account's to make sure no one is having issues. Those of us with contacts from the surgeon level to the c-suite will continue to be successful. Those who choose to ignore the suits will becomes 60-70k clinical managers or whatever you want to call it. I have been in OR sales for 10 years and try to conduct all my business outside the OR. It's more fun and it pays off in the end. Good luck.

13. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

Yes, you will have a job in the future.

No, it won't pay well, probably $100k.

In 3 years you will be replaced by a pretty 28 year old (guy or gal) that is smarter than you.

If you think the BIG money comes from your sales skills outside the OR, then you are admitting that any sales guy could do this job.

14. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

No you are not LISTENING. My relationships with the staff, surgeons and the executives keeps my product in the hospital and routinely used. I am a SALES rep, there is no reason I need to come in the OR unless I am conducting a new clinical evaluation or to troubleshoot. I sell more than 4x's what most of our reps do, but I'm not chasing cases.

15. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

Medtronic is now starting Case Reps at 70k. The good old days are over folks! Time to downsize. No private schools for kids, no country club dues. Buckle in.

16. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

So true. I am absolutely about to get a 2nd job to help make ends meet. Things really suck balls right now.

17. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

No you are not LISTENING. My relationships with the staff, surgeons and the executives keeps my product in the hospital and routinely used. I am a SALES rep, there is no reason I need to come in the OR unless I am conducting a new clinical evaluation or to troubleshoot. I sell more than 4x's what most of our reps do, but I'm not chasing cases.

Those "relationships" are right now finding ways to either eliminate replace or dramatically reduce cost on your product. You are right. You are just a SALES rep. Just another vendor. You too can and will be replaced. Guaranteed. When your volume suddenly drops you will need to chase cases. Then the problem will be because you are just another SALES rep, they will treat you just like everyone else. Then your beloved employer will find ways to get rid of you. Nothing unique or proprietary about a sales rep. Sorry to be so blunt, but you are just not that special or important. That is the reason companies are dramatically changing the sales model. Hiring college kids who they can pay nothing and slowly eliminating veteran sales reps.

It's all about profitability and your $100k plus salary/commission reduces profits. If you honestly think you are protected, you need to wake up now.

18. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

This guy is hilarious. You just described a Pharma Rep.

But, seriously, good for you. You have made a great impact in the "new" way of sales reps.

You probably don't want to know about the "old" way where a Med Device rep was a sales guy, a technical consultant and, really, part of the therapy team. When a Doctor demanded that the rep being at the surgery because the rep was the most knowledgeable person around for how to use the device correctly and what to do when things go wrong.

Yes, the job completely consumed the rep's life. And for that, salaries started around $250k ---- and when way, way up.

19. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

I know things might not be so great for you, but you guys are such narcissists. I doubt my accounts are even looking into my little minuscule product portfolio, but maybe..who knows. Perhaps they enjoy the routine entertainment I provide and like the fact I'm not scrub sink selling.

Not sure how I am a phrama rep...is it because I don't feel the need to stand around with a laser pointer? Is it because I am focused on contracts with hospitals vs. attending routine cases? Are you indicating any sales person who doesn't cover cases regularly is a pharma rep.

Reps in the past dealt with the highest period of medical device innovation ever...not the same
    You can't tell me you need to be there for a doc's 1000th laparoscopic hysterectomy with all the same equipment. A few reps justify routinely being in the OR (endovascular, ortho, AAA, robotics)

-I don't know why you guys are all bent out of shape. There will continue to be good jobs out there that pay well for those who deliver. If you think you will make 250k working a small territory with a ton of existing business you are delirious. Start-ups and disruptive technologies will be the bread winners for field pay.

20. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

Start ups?? Good luck getting into most hospitals with "new" products that are driven by (supposed) clinical benefit and surgeon request. The bean counters in supply chain are tightening their grip daily.

Do you really think orthopedic surgeons need the Zimmer or Stryker reps to be in the OR for their millionth total knee or total hip? Much less staple, Trocar or suture reps. Wake up people!