Not Enough To Relocate

Discussion in 'Amgen' started by Anonymous, Apr 7, 2006 at 8:42 PM.

Tags: Add Tags
  1. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

Interviewed for an AD position and finally got an offer but to live in the area is ridiculous. Houses are $900,000 + and really small. Taxes in California are out of control, even if I accepted the position we wouldn't have any money left over unless my wife went back to work. Good luck anyone moving into the ares !!

2. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

I hear ya! I have repeatedly turned down opportunities at Amgen and Genentech due to the high cost of living. Even if they doubled my income, I would still be operating at a loss.

How do those of you in CA afford it out there?

3. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

[ QUOTE ]
    How do those of you in CA afford it out there?

[/ QUOTE ]

Thats easy, we just load up our debt. Actually, I (and Family) lived in a townhouse and commuted for a long time until I had enough stock options built up for a sizable down payment to be able to move to T.O.
    Two years from now that $900k won't look so bad.

4. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

get a nice sign-on bonus and you will be o.k.

5. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

Where do you find it better, with a job? I've been looking to relocate, but jobs are in pricey places, Boston, NY, NJ, and taxes are actually same or worse. I can imagine the move, if the career stable, but can't count on that.

Small houses work in Ca. Weather is great and you live outdoors. Don't need game room, den etc. If you don't buy out at the end of a bad commute, values are better in the long run, be careful in distant communities, though they have low prices now.

Part of how "we" afforded houses was the stock option growth period that is no longer broadly applicable, so housing costs are a real problem now. I could not afford it now in my neighborhood, but instead would be in a condo or apartment. House ownership is great, but not required.

6. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

Why is someone posting against a 5 year old question?

7. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

Probably because the issue still applies...