MSL contract companies?

Discussion in 'MSL Board' started by Anonymous, Feb 28, 2008 at 11:16 AM.

Tags: Add Tags
  1. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

I have heard that MSL contract companies like SOS and TMAC are good places to start out as an MSL. Would anyone be willing to share their experiences with them? Does anyone know of any other contract companies, besides the two I named?

Thanks.

2. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

Yes. Fantastic place to start. Either SOS or TMAC or MDea. Give them a year, work your ass off, do as many different thing as possible to get experience, and then start looking for jobs. just post your CV on Medzilla and they will find you.

3. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

There are a few others, but I don't know who is hiring right now. There are many MSLs out there looking for jobs too.

Try Venn5 - another contract company.

4. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

I was there for 5 months and landed a job with a Biotech. Now I have 8 years experience and people call all the time.

5. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

There is a new company doing the MSL thing, MSL360. Check them out.

www.msl360.net

6. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

Contract may be a good way in but I'm not sure you can start from scratch and learn the job on a 1 or 2 year contract.
    After more than 20 years as a liaison it is pretty clear that ones effectiveness is based on building a professional relationship with the KOLs. This relationship is based on knowledge of the relevant basic and clinical sciences and in depth and continuous contact with the KOL. How can this be done well on "short term contract" basis?

I think the contract MSL concept is flawed but good business development by those companies offering the service seems to be gaining acceptance. In my opinion the companies who contract their MSL's just don't get it.

7. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

I agree that the best MSLs are the ones with the relationships. However, for an entry level and to get the experience, the contract companies provide the opportunity to allow you to have that on your resume

8. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

You have a web page? Can't google them.

9. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

Here are some:

Scientific Oriented Solutions (aka SOS)
    Mdea (the guy who used to run bestmed)
    medicalaffairs.com

10. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

I would agree with other recommendations regarding "initial" MSL experience. SOS (Science Oriented Solutions) is a solid opportunity for entry level MSLs to gain initial experience. You might also want to consider MSL opportunities at a larger biotech or pharma company, where there is an established MSL program and sizable MSL team. This situation would potentially offer a slower transition, more training and would also most likely offer mentoring opportunities.

Relative to other MSL outsourcing programs, it may be hard to recommend venn5, since the company doesn't appear to exist any longer. Sources in the industry have confirmed that a former venn5 founder is back in the industry full time with Genentech. Seems like venn5 was phased out towards end of 2008. Can't confirm this, but after failing to contact the company directly or having any call backs the past 2-3 months during my search, not sure it exists. It was also a start up, so it may not be the right fit for first time MSLs.

Other companies to consider would be The Therapeutics Institute or Innovex. Both companies have MSLs and clinical or nurse educators.

11. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

With regards to SOS / TMAC which are both based in Atlanta, which do you think would provide better entry:

1) Attending pharmacy school at Mercer University (also in Atlanta) and establishing relationships with KOLs at Emory

Or

2) Attending a more reputable pharmacy program with KOL faculty (ie UCSF)?

12. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

The Carolan Group is looking for Contract MSLs for Southern California and the Great Lakes Region

www.carolangroup.com

13. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

Once you graduate from pharmacy school and if you are licensed, no one cares. For every big-name clinical pharmacist that graduates from UCSF, there are ten or eleven who count the pills at Walgreens. Get over it.

14. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

TriNet Pharma is a great company and very reputable!

15. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

I've never even heard of Trinet. Do they specialize in contract MSLs? I want to use a company who knows what they are doing in the contract world and who have all the right connnections.

16. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

TriNet is a recruiting company.

17. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

I believe that TriNet has one of the largest databases in the MSL industry. They definetly know the market and have the contacts.

18. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

Have any experienced MSLs used contract companies to gain experience in a new therapeutic area? Would like to hear any experiences.

19. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

Is anyone familiar with The Medical Affairs Company- MSL position

20. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

Don't look for longevity with any contract outfit. Every time there is a new company under contract, you have to go through the selection process another time. Contract outfits are good for gaining industry-related experience, but you are still under contract just like a temp. TMAC is a good company if you are in management--but it is not stable otherwise.