AMGEN RMLs - BAD TEAM?

Discussion in 'MSL Board' started by Anonymous, Jul 17, 2009 at 10:05 AM.

Tags: Add Tags
  1. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

I keep hearing that Amgen MSLs are really a sales' team in disguise. Is this true? I know one other person in their oncology team and she hates it but the pay is good. She said the managers are bad and that the EDs don't seem to know how to handle the team. Please help with any feedback you may have to offer.

2. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

Your friend summed it up nicely. Pay is good but management is terrible. I don't think the money would be worth it.

3. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

RMLs only stay because of golden hand cuffs. Most do not want to stay but are kinda stuck there. Management is probably the worst of any company I know in the industry with respect to MSLs.

4. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

Don't know where that's coming from, but Amgen RMLs are viewed as among the best in the industry. Rigorous training, detailed plan of actions. Leadership from former MSL and accross big-pharma, years of experience there.

Not sales reps at all, they have moved away from alot of commericial operations towards clinical support. Amgen has moved to a more conservative approach with MSLs, and if anything is making them glorified CRAs. In general, its their business knowledge that's lacking. They do receive poor business training if any, and have little exposure to commericial teams which is a little sad.

5. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

May have been true years ago but not so much today. What are the folks in nephrology doing these days?

6. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

They may have to do clinical support. Amgen sold all there CRAs to Quintiles.

7. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

Time to count the beans. How many times did you tell Dr.X message Y? How about one more time

8. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

I really think mgt. believes they have a clue as to what happens in the field.

9. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

All MSLs are a sales team in disguise. Do you really think a company would support an MSL team if it didn't help sales?

-Signed,
    An MSL who "gets it"

10. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

What is going on in this group? How is the management? What are the MSLs working on?

11. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

Already stated below but do not go there if you are considering it. Take it from someone who was there. There is no future as an MSL there. Bad management and no products worthy of an MSL.

12. purplegirl

purplegirl Guest

What is the current climate with the RMLs? Is is bad since RR left or did he improve things since the dismal 2007 posts? Do the RMLs like their jobs today? What about their direct management and scientific affairs leadership overall? Any internal candidates to replace RR?

13. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

RR is still here. Like a good captain he is riding the RML team to the sea floor.

14. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

Yes, unfortunately, RR is still here... On a recent call he was talking about recent attrition and basically said, 1st) RML's support commercial products - always have, always will. 2) if you dont like it, dont let the door hit you in the ass on the way out. Trying hard to do just that and get out before they firing sales and giving the us sales quotas in place of weekly or daily metric targets and messages.. It wont be long...

15. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

I agree.. I have weekly meetings with manager already to discuss my activities.. there is so much more value we could bring to the company if they would let us support research and/or pipeline..

16. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

Nah, there are too many Liaisons to do a liaison job for the company, nor does mgt care. Under RR, RML=sales

17. Tashinamys

Tashinamys Guest

18. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

I talk to a lot of liaisons at Amgen and practically everyone is looking to jump ship.

19. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

There were too many liaison across all TAs even before the doubling in Oncology. I'm sure management (BA and above) would care, if they knew how much smoke and mirrors goes into the reports that go up the chain. I would not bet on RR being here in a year as he is going to be the fall guy when questions really start to be asked.

20. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

Trust me, BA (or DSA if you go by his real name) knows everything. He helped make the smoke and hang the mirrors...