Would like to speak with seasoned MSL prior to deciding on career change.

Discussion in 'MSL Board' started by biomax, Jul 14, 2010 at 8:13 PM.

1. biomax

biomax New Member

PhD here with industry experience. Considering change to MSL career. Would like to speak with someone in the field (5+ years preferably) to decide if this is really the right fit for me.

If you have 15' to talk via phone, please send me a PM.

Thanks.

Robert

2. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

I am a Ph.D.

You have virtually no shot at an MSL position without experience. It is about 100 million times better than being at the University.

Plus they don't want anybody considering the job as a second choice. If you don't say you always wanted to be an MSL in your interview you will not be hired.

Drop the academic attitude and look eager and you will be fine.

Secondly, work with a prescribing clinician and get to know leaders in your field. you will be hired for your access to big prescribers and your contacts. plus your contacts will put you in touch with a sales rep or msl that will give you a job.

be flexible in your clinical area, the place you want to live.
    get a job ANYWHERE in industry, even sales.

your present job does not really do anything for you if you want to be an MSL. if you deal with clinical trials you can apply to be a CRO, then move to MSL.

3. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

Don't do it unless you missed your calling to be pharma rep by going to grad school.
    It's so much fun to talk about Aciphex over an Au bon pain sandwich.

4. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

I'm a recruiter, and from my experience, this is excellent advice.. With the exception of your first line, you are right on the money! I actually do see a number of clients looking at "entry level" but in that case the therapeutic expertise and access are the big selling points.

5. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

I've been an MSL of various stripes for over 10 years now....and although I didn't leave teaching to do this, I can honestly say this job is as easy as being a graduate student, which I have been. You work your own hours and most companies I've worked for have had minimal requirements for documenting your work. In fact, you could do very little and still be paid very well and receive sizable bonuses.

I get BORED every now and again and certainly feel intellectually non-stimulated most of the time, but for me this job offers me great freedom and flexible in life outside of work and for that I am most grateful!!!

If you want a truly fulfilling job, the MSL job is NOT for you!

This is the most honest answer your ever going to get...don't call me because I'll deny it!

6. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

If you are not intellectually stimulated, you're doing it wrong.