THIS IS WHAT IS REALLY GOING ON

Discussion in 'Rotech' started by Anonymous, Apr 22, 2011 at 7:27 PM.

Tags: Add Tags
  1. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

I was a PST and I was out doing titrations, conserving device evals, NPPV's on a regular basis. DR's were changing patients liter flows based on data I gave them, whats the difference between me doing it or them sending the order to Burger King to have the fry maker do the titration. Bottom line is neither of us have a license to do it.
    I made the choice to leave Rotech because if a patient died because of something I did, you know Rotech wouldnt back me if a lawsuit came about. They would say I was breaking Policy and Procedure, even though I was told to go do it.
    Don't forget though, They care about patient care!!!!!!

2. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

Right on brother!

NEVER take a bullet due to someone else's ignorance!!

3. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

I bet the entire time YOU are putting yourself on the line doing all of that stuff, your manager never went out and did one either. Hmmmm sort of fishy that. If it is no big deal to the company, let's do what they always toss in your face.

Pretend this is your "Grandmother" you would want her taken care of wouldn't you. FINE...line up their Grandmother and let's see how fast they run for a provider that has an RT to do their NPPV or their conserving device eval.

Plus, your are so right...they would toss you under the bus so fast it would take your breath away that you would need O2.

But hey...rack up another one for the "O2 Contest" HA HA HA

4. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

YOU were breaking policy and procedure and YOU should have just said no. Compliance would have backed you up and the patients would have been taken care of. Instead you willingly break policy, endanger patients then run to the internet to tattle on your manager. You definitely need to be a former PST.

There are bad managers for certain but there are also good people who would listen and appreciate you being responsible and bringing that situation out into the light. Too bad you chose the low road.

5. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

Wait just a minute...There is truth in what you say. BUT when your manager tells you to do it as a direct order. These are things to be done by a clinican but try to find one that will help you out, they wont drive to your location. That doesnt happen..Rotech has done wrong by letting clincians go. That is why YOUR GRANDMOTHER is being taken care of by Psts and csrs with no medical training....Safety issue by all means on so many fronts..

Look elsewhere before you start condeming..Talk to your manager that gave the direct orders. Dont come down on someone who left the system, because they can see the things that are wrong..Tell me what is right!!! PEOPLE just trying to acheive the magic numbers that you set....want me to keep going....insurance fraud...unjust service...no medical expertise in Bipap/cpap setups..changes to NIPPVS...leading the Drs and Sleep Labs on...No overtime for the staff doing the work..You say were offer 24/7 care, sure we will do it but you expect no compensation, you want our OT hours flexed..Should I keep going..

6. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

#5 post has really great points...and TRUTHFUL too. It starts with the LCM or higher up! those numbers have to be built up ...no matter what.

How do you kow this PST did not take it higher? Sounds like he/she simply got tired of saying no to the LCM. Taking it higher than the LCM level and getting the same results would not be unheard of either in some parts of Rotech Land.

When you go to your LCM and give them chance after chance and then to their AM and get beat down for doing the right thing....well....that says it all. In some areas, not all, the almighty numbers rule above all else.

Besides, as a PST or even a CSR...who is this company going to believe? They will side with the LCM/AM every time.

Not all stores run like the ones that are portrayed in the Rotech Way. It's great that you have the opp to work in one of the REAL stores.

7. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

5...really has good points, and I agree...you have to go up the chain and as a pst it stops at the LCM and you have to do what you are told to do or you life is horrible...Would the LCM get out there and do the work that needs to be done, I think not...but reaps the rewards.

8. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

OK by the logic on this thread if coming down on PST for knowingly breaking policy was too harsh then there are a few more of you who need to become former Rotech employees.

If my next level supervisor or even the CEO tells me to do something illegal I have to figure out how to act responsibly. In this case the PST left and I concede that I do not know the circumstances. The way it is presented in this thread is that two wrongs equal a right. The fact that a person has bills to pay, kids to feed etc definitely factors in to why a person would knowingly follow through with a task that they know to be wrong until they could find another job. That was not how it was presented.

I am 100% in agreement that Rotech needs to find a way to make it possible for employees to do what needs to be done without breaking laws. As far as Grandma is concerned for most of what we do a well trained PST is fine but they need to rethink the RT RIF. The per diems don't have time or financial incentive to ensure Granny is properly fit etc.

Surviving the government onslaught of reimbursement cuts has so much to do with all the radical decisions and pressure to test and grow. It is a fact of life in the DME business right now and a quick look at competitors shows that Rotech is not unique. Most of the points that keep getting brought up are happening everywhere. Hopefully the pendulum swings back the other way and the OT and clinician pressures are relieved. The reality is that it could get worse before it ever gets better as the whole industry shifts to adapt to the reimbursement compression.

9. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

You know, I agree totally. A matter of fact, I believe this persons statement is totally bogus and fiction. I can not imagine ANY manager in Rotech ordering a PST to do this. Especially since corporate would come down on the manager bigtime also if anything happened because of it. Honestly, I believe the people posting this crap on here are subversives who do not work for Rotech, work for a competitor, or did work for Rotech in the past and are disgruntled. They are hoping I would guess that some government official or someone from corporate is monitoring this board and believes this crap and would end up going on a wild goose chase for something that never existed in the first place. The story of the cafe pharma Rotech board is and has been for years total bs. Rotech is not perfect, has some rough spots I am sure in certain spots of the country because they are a large company. All large companies do. But overall I believe Rotech has learned their lesson in the past and has been really making an effort over the last few years to make sure they are following the law and in compliance. If a person worked there and wrote on here, they would know this.

10. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

Maybe this PST did work in one of the "certain spots" where it does continue to happen more than not.

For various posters to pin down thoughts as being "disgruntled" all the time...are they perhaps trying to deflect what little imperfections they have seen too. Push it to the back of their brains because overall Rotech does do good?

What is your area doing for them, (R/E & Titrationss) if you do not have an RT/Clinican/Per Diem ???

Some of us need to hear what it is like in Dreamland aka Real Rotech

11. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

To the above poster...Take your blinders off....It did happen, was it right NO..just following the chain of command..Would it happen again, you bet..as long as the LM could get away with it....Should they learn from this...YES..but working short staffed, the cycle will continue....

12. PST no more

PST no more Guest

This was in NE R3. And it has been going on since the RT rifs. AM knew it was going on. When there is no RT or per diem the job has to be done. So it is pushed onto PST to get it done. I even had other locations contact me on how to do them because the AM told them to ask me how to do them. I was with company for over 5 years, finally had to say goodbye. I started we had 3 PST's got cut down to 1. Try to take a day off, you cant because then you get called after 5PM because you are on call. If you take a vacation you have to bust your butt and try to double up the week before and week after just so you can take time off. I was called out for a NPPV that brokedown afterhours, we had none in location with settings already set so I could take 1 out and swap it. So I call AHCC and talk to RT and they say call my Rt and have them come out. What a joke, if I did have 1 they didnt take calls after 5pm anyhow. We have a DR that orders 2-4 titrations a week. If it wasnt done they were calling in flipping out so the PST again has to go out and do these. I dont mind doing anything but after 3 years you would think they would have gotten at least a per diem. I will say this though, RS never made our location flex out OT but all others in our area she did.

13. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

Wow this sounds credible and if true I hope there is accountabilty forthcoming. I am glad that this has not been my experience or something that I heard about from sister locations. I would be very uncomfortable and now is a tough time to trade jobs. I hope this is just message board BS and my company is not this stupid. I am not in the area or region listed above-thank God.

The only having 1 PST and time off issue is something the LCM and AM should have dealt with. No one should be expected to take call more than 180 days a year. Even that is steep but anything more sounds like abuse even if it is technically legal. Does anyone ever mention this stuff on the supposedly anonymous annual surveys?

14. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

Oh believe me this is a credible story..This goes on at more than one location...There are other locations with only one PST expected to do it all..And there is more that hasnt been mentioned here..What if your driver is the only one that can do liquid fills. He cant have any time off because there is no one to fill in for him. So as the original poster stated you have to double up before or after you come back and those bases are no easy task...This area had an area manager doing the work of the PST but the RM (RS) would cut him no slack. Well he is no longer here either..Maybe someone should actually look at the problem:)

15. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

Nope not BS at all, sad to say. CSR's are expected to double up before taking any time off too...hand writing orders that will come due and etc.

The yearly survey is a joke! I bet the PST DID mention stuff and nothing came about it. In fact I have never heard of any issue...large or small being addressed that had been put onto that so called survey.

That survey is most likely being done only to show to some outside group b/c Rotech got caught with their hand in the cookie jar and is trying to make it look good w/someone.

Oh and "supposedly anonymous" is correct....how else would the people above the RM keep sending out emails to the RM's who take it down to the AM's and etc to remind people to do them but there are only one of two names on the list they target ???

Yea, that area does not sound good at all....more like the Bermuda Triangle!

16. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

LOL- Re: surveys-You are probably right. I wanted to slam a deserving person in my chain of command but the hell that we would have faced had it gotten back to us as the source just wasn't worth it.

Lots of positives in this company too but you won't see it written here. It is really tough all over right now and my guess is that when the economy loosens up there will be a talent exodus and they will have to fix some of this unjust stuff that they can get away with now. As mentioned earlier it's not unique to Rotech or even the DME industry. Shit sandwiches are du jour in lots of US companies right now.

17. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

Huh?

That's disgusting, clean up your act.

18. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

Go have intercourse with yourself.

Clean enough for you?

19. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

Check yourself before you wreck yourself.

20. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

Being "tough" all over never excuses an employer from allowing their lower managers to treat their staff as if they are their personal whipping post.

Oh yea, you would have gotten it back, ten fold. There is no such thing as protecting the person that comes forward. Just brings on more trouble for them. It's a way of pushing out the people who follow the rules. You know.... do ethical things....the talent you speak of will run for the doors, given the right time.

These people are hard to come by in some Rotech areas...not all...but the pockets of the bad locations out there is unreal. Some of the things Rotech has in place to work on closing that gap...the hotline number, Rotech Way and yearly surveys will help...but until the LCM's are out of there that mock these things and their employees who try and do good for patients in an ethical manner...it will be no better.

Standing up for what is ethical makes for a very long day...tough...but if enough continue to refuse to come down to some LCM's levels. ....they will outlast or move on to someplace where ethic's is a common day happening as soon as they can.