Overqualified job hunters....

Discussion in 'Merck' started by Anonymous, Mar 21, 2015 at 9:29 PM.

Tags: Add Tags
  1. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

You are delusional and in self denial, move don't sit on your ass. Anyone who stays in such an over priced over taxed environment deserves what they get. My wife, kids and I moved thirteen times, all over the country to maximize opportunities and income. When you say you can't, BS!

2. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

Can't hold down a job?
    You guys must live in a trailer park.

3. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

Do your kids have many friends ?? Or you and your wife for that manner??

4. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

Constantly moving is a good way to go bankrupt. You will never build financial security with the money spent on each move.

5. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

You moved 13 times? Your story is so utterly silly, I'm not sure how to respond. Sure people are willing to move, or adjust in what has become a tense economic environment in the US. But moving 13 times seems the definition of chasing the money or poor planning. Which is it?

Are you in the Army? If not, 13 moves for pharma: your wife and kids hate you and you sound like a douche. Honestly.

6. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

Not so much that older displaced people looking to get back in to the industry are over qualified. Rather it is the market finally figured out that the job can be handled by a
    UPS person for a lot cheaper.

If you don't believe this, you are in denial.

7. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

It's not only that younger candidates cost less.....it's that they are YOUNGER!

Pharma was always about superficiality (i.e., cheerleaders and athletes)...so all of the unemployed reps who have been in the industry since the 90's are now being passed over for candidates barely out of college.

And, as others have pointed out, the DM's are younger too, and they certainly don't want to be intimidated by "older", experienced reps.

The fate of the 50 and over crowd is sad...

8. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

This is now an entry level industry as the sales function went from being the driving force to barely necessary. Anyone with talent or real degrees left long ago!

9. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

So not true…Pharma definitely WAS NOT always about cheerleaders and athletes…that trend started in the early 90s…before that, it was some of the best and brightest that got pharma sales jobs…it was considered an excellent and prestigious job before the 90s…

Once the cheerleaders came in, it became about bringing in cookies, donuts, bagels, pies, cakes, etc…that led us to where we are now…the jocks didn't help much either…

One thing you got right is the fate of the 50 and over crowd…I am one of 'em…pushed out of pharma in my 50's after a very successful run…still have savings but it is dwindling fast…the days where I was living as well as the doctors, are long gone…

stay in pharma too long and you will turn into a bottom feeder…I promise you that!

10. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

In major East Coast cities $85-90 is common for contract reps.

11. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

No so. Ask around its more like 62-70K and about 14K bonus. Horrible if you are the primary income. This is being paid by big pharma companies.

The numbers you quote are uncommon for reps and common for managers!!!!

12. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

Who are you asking? Managers make a whole lot more. There is a wide range but nowhere near that low. It depends if you're like and how many years you have in. I would put the range at 125k to 225k. Maybe a higher top range. Also remember the bonus are crazy if you are liked. It's easier to get higher bonus then a salary adjustment to the base. Don't make waves and be liked.

13. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

Sounds like connections get you bucks. I know people who are unemployed with MBAs and have pages of high end resume content. No jobs. Resumes going out, no responses. Sinfully low wages if they even get a nibble...Living off dwindling 401Ks.

I hear complaints from low paid, highly experienced reps. They can only find trash work... if they can find anything at all. Spoke to a few recruiters and they agree. Low 50-60s for rep jobs is common and employers will not move on the amounts....

So... if some managers are really still cranking out 6 figures even on a contract the gravy train is still chuggin' along in certain circles. Too bad it aint comin to neighborhood near many of us....As for making waves, few have the opportunity to live near a beach so that is not ever going to be an issue...

14. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

Another big pharma company; Connecticut; contract $85-90; I have partners.

15. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

I would recommend getting out of medicine altogether and do this by networking. Don't tell anyone how cushy pharma is/was! Read integrity selling....it will help you learn how to sell again and ask those seamless questions that won't be awkward...

Good luck!

16. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

Yes, a rare few pay like this...bet I know the cso.
    Here's the truth. The 4 major cso's pay low, one pays higher.

Leading CSO contractor job in NY/NJ area with our largest big pharma competitor, $60s. Everyone here and on the other disease teams at the same pay level. Many complaints, so now they are throwing in a company vehicle sometime later this year. Cost will be 150-175 a month for car and it's for employee work use only. No spouses, no kids, no vacation use of the car. The car allowance will be eliminated.

Here's more. I had a call from another cso headhunter. Rep job for another major leading big pharma company. They also quote 50-60s with top pay of 65K, take it or leave it. They do not care about experience, awards, higher degrees etc.

These are all leading big pharma contracts - companies we would rate in the major 5 big pharma. The pay is what is creating constant employee exits. This is why they have steady openings, but you are signing up for the same job as you have now for low pay, horrible benefits and little time off.

These contract jobs are for second incomers, working mothers, new grads, retirees.
    Not jobs for breadwinners of a family or those seeking a career. The pay hardly covers cost of living.

Biggest surprise? These jobs are hard to get due to the excess of unemployed reps and the shrinking pharma job market.

17. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

Get out while you can.

18. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

Why are so many people surprised that dropping off lunch, schmoozing with office staff and delivering samples ONLY commands up to 65K a year? Get real people.

19. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

Exactly. That long diatribe didn't tell anyone anything they didn't already know. You can complain about the pay and perks but you may as well curse the wind. CSO isn't going anywhere, it's growing and will almost completly replace " dedicated" reps soon. There are just too many good business reasons. This has become a part time job long ago no matter what company is on your name tag. The pay varies by contract but the median is probably around 60k. Which is a lot less than what these company reps make for doing the same thing. It's ceased to be a career long ago. I've been doing CSO for about the last 6 years, soon to be retired. But if you think you are going to get another ten years as a rep, CSO or dedicated than you have sadly miscaculated on your career prospects. If you need to work another 20 years, you should have left this shitty job about 10 years ago.

20. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

Don't say that. Scientists have worked hard to create new products. It is isn't the scientists' fault that drugs do not pass in clinical studies. It is easy to sit back and talk bad about science. Just remember that you wouldn't have a job without the work from scientists.