December Layoffs to be much larger than expected !!!!

Discussion in 'Pfizer' started by Anonymous, Oct 30, 2013 at 11:14 AM.

Tags: Add Tags
  1. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

Here comes another round. Word is it will be significant. Those who do not learn from History are fools.

2. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

I call BS on this statement......no layoffs in 2013; most likely will have some in 2014 when business leads decide what size their units should be.

3. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

gee, that's great, no layoffs in 2013, glad they'll be a long time off in 2014, that's like 4 or 5 years away right?

4. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

Business leads do not decide staffing levels- these are set by the consultants that the ELT hires. The business leads are there only to implement the plans.

5. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

If they rely on ELT to decide- ELT announced that all changes will take place now to be in place at the START of the new year. That means the changes would be decided now but may take a while to carry thru. The ELT knows NOW exactly what cuts will be made but will wait for new leaders to chop, right?

6. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

Have no idea if there will be layoffs again at this time of year, but keep in mind, last go round, when 40% of Cluster 2 was let go, they consistently told DMs and above to tell the troops we were right sized. Anyone hearing that from your DMs now? We need to get total productivity until the very end.

Based on competitors going generic, (Cymbalta), which will effect both Lyrica and Pristiq, and with Celebrex going generic, hard to imagine the pain and ob groups are truly right sized.

Wish the best for all, but don't get caught not at least being prepared for potential layoffs, whether by end of 2013 or in 2014.

And certainly nothing robust in the pipeline, but big blues version of a pipeline is called an acquisition anyway!!!

7. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

I am on the PCH side and was just given my notice... for some reason earlier than the other "waves" they told me that are coming. Not sure if this means all of Pfizer but consumer only?

BTW - I've been working for 25+ years. I spent only two years at PCH. It was absolutely, hands down, THE WORSE experience of my career. I have never worked in such a toxic environment. Harassment, bullying, put downs, you name it.

The way they have have the organization (or lack of it) structured, you have absolutely no one to go to should you have concerns within your department. It's like you are kept cutoff from anything or everyone. As I always kept away from the corporations (worked for agencies), I never realized this.

FYI - When I asked to be included in meetings, I was told to "invite myself" Sort of like an intern.

I believe my immediately supervisor and his director would have been fired for abuse had they not worked for Pfizer. They are still there...

8. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

On Pfieldnet where they have the FAQ for the new structure, it does not state ANYWHERE that there will be NO layoffs. They say there will not be LARGE layoffs. They do say in a few different sections "if there is a role in the new structure" and there will not be MAJOR changes. They do state also that they will make decisions based on business needs. There is nothing that makes me feel "right sized" in the current structure. We are being told to focus on our 2013 goals and own it. We will be STARTING our new structure in January so if changes happen, I would think that we would here by late November at the latest. Who knows. It's all speculation but I found the details of the FAQ very telling. Telling in a sense that they are NOT TELLING!

9. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

I can assure you that layoffs this December are a certainty. More than enough leaks coming out of NY to verify this.

10. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

Ah, reading the corporate speak tea leaves.. 'new structure', refocus, value to clients and shareholders, new direction, maintaining a focus, core business, reshaping, developing strategies, optimizing opportunities, leadership development, long range vision, maximizing staffing levels, competitive restructuring, exciting! new! pleased to announce, unfortunately change requires.., you'll be notified, we appreciate your efforts, you'll will a package, turn in your..by..., transition support hotline number is....

11. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

On 10/23 KD and CW's mail to PC said: " Importantly, there are no planned reductions, ....". Interestingly neither of these two are themselves confirmed to have retained their jobs since the layered announcements have not yet reached their level (country heads). An announcement as important as "no planned reductions" would have normally come from the present big boss of PCBU, JY. What do you read into this? The same mail talked of bags for each of the four clusters; but that doesn't say how many will remain in each cluster.

12. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

don't cha just love the guys in IT. They know. They see.

13. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

The stress level is rising as Layoff news gets more active. Why does PFE always do this to us before the holidays ??? !!!!

14. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

wow you people are desperate for some attention aren't you?

no layoffs this year...enjoy it and move on.

15. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

Ian Reed needs to be called out that when he says their will be minimal disruptions to the business he really shows his naïveté and cluelessness of how the businesses run. When department leads make their changes (mark their spots) there is a trickle down affect that can end up being a loss of knowledge/talent and ultimately results. Unfortunately, the musical chairs will continue and there will be too many people than chairs and critical commercial knowledge will be lost. I recommend Ian be honest and just say we will make changes based on the new leaders, which is the we've always done it and will continue to do it. We keep making our earnings targets, so who cares. The cold heartless Fortune 500 company's mantras.

16. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

Same I like contract roles but I joined Pfizer on a contract then went perm - major error. The bullying, intimidation, put down, harassing culture is the worse I have experienced or heard of.
    A recruiter sent me a Pfizer role today I declined. The culture is on eof please 'the street' and 'headless chickens'.
    The only development they provide for staff (if you stay) is one of being a Pfizeroid and bullying.

17. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

No layoffs? Just last week our VP could not confirm that there would not be any reductions this year. Wouldn't they know by November? And you can't confirm not? Please...

18. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

A manager (recently displaced) once told us, "we are pretty much on one year contracts now". Basically he is saying-if you are not getting laid off this year-it "may" come next year. It's sad but I think everyone reading this post will agree it's true. That's what this job has become with Pfizer (especially the sales end). I'm not sure if that's the case with marketing, manufacturing, etc… but with sales it's year to year unfortunately. There is no loyalty anymore. They do not believe in doctor-rep relationships. It's true formularies and generic first has altered that, but the reality is if you and your doc have a good relationship-he/she will rx your product if it's available (and worth prescribing) over a competitor's drug. There may be less opportunities due to getting locked out of "no see" accounts, but it's amazing how the reps with long term relationships with the doctors still manage to see them. I wonder why that is….hmmm? Bottom line-anyone 25-49 get out of Pharma/Pfizer if you can. A year or two after your gone you will look back and say it's the best move you ever made. Over 50- try to hang in there till 55 and it's all gravy from there. Good luck all.

19. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

Big correction: "Over 50 - try to hang in there till 55 and its all gravy from there." NOT TRUE. The only reason to stay until 55 is for the primary insurance coverage which is voluntary on the companies part..... meaning since its not a contractual agreement if the age/time in employment is met.....it can be terminated at any time. That will be coming, when Obamacare delay to employers happens in 2015. You can count on that. The only other reason for anyone to stay is if they have a good number of years into the pension and they want to squeak out a few more. Period. Try asking a 55+ how the job market it, esp. in pharma once they get layed off.

20. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

The above post is spot-on. I retired at age 52 after over 20 years of employment because I had the opportunity to add 3 years and make the age 55 milestone. Pfizer health insurance differs based on time employed and legacy company. I have been very happy with mine, but am concerned every year that Pfizer will eliminate it.

As for jobs over age 50: unless you know someone, you may get one interview after sending out over 200 resumes! When your resume accounts for all your employment years, future employers know your approximate age. I have been lucky enough to find intermittent high-paying (meaning, still less than Pfizer, but enough to get by) work. I think unless you have another position already secured, a successful side business, a spouse who is making great money, or you've invested well over the years - stay with Pfizer as long as you can stand it in order to increase your retirement.