Life after Merck gets BETTER

Discussion in 'Merck' started by Anonymous, Nov 15, 2014 at 11:59 AM.

Tags: Add Tags
  1. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

I am here to say that there IS life after Merck. Do not believe all the negativity on these boards telling you how horrible your life will be if you get laid off from Merck. I just landed a better job at a better company with HIGHER pay and bonus than I had as an S2 at Merck with aprox. 15 years. Yes even the benefits are better, the car, medical, iphone 401k match, everything is better. The people aren't miserable and don't backstab their way to a better ranking than you, just to save themselves. The Cobra benefits and Severance were truly very good when Merck let me go in June. Two months pay, 18 months of Cobra at the same rate I was paying at Merck. I actually want to thank Merck for being fare in their compensation during the downsizing. Their methods of choosing who stays and who goes is an entirely different story. Thank you Merck for all the good years and good friends I made along the way, I hope our paths cross again. To everyone who is afraid of the uncertain...there is hope out there. Many of the companies I interviewed with were filled with happy reps and decent managers. Life is too short to be unhappy at work, Have confidence and go out there and get something better. I hope this finds all of you Well!

2. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

Yeah right, I'll see you on Monday.

3. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

What are some of the companies you recommend then?

4. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

I recommend getting out of Primary Care and into some type of specialty. Anything in Biologics has more to offer also. That's where I went. But as you can see you can lead a horse to water but you can't make them drink. Please try to go out and find happiness, Merck has proven that it doesn't want most of us around. However you are very valuable to the right company, it just takes effort.
    Good Luck and God Bless.

5. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

Expect big competition, really big! Even cso is tight and a hard nut to crack. If you are not part of a special high demand or special hire group it takes time. People I know grab whatever and keep looking. If you have a long severance then no need to panic. For the ones with little severance and little or no healthcare its an anything is good enough attitude while they keep looking. If you are expecting gold bring down your expectations to bronze or tin. Money is not as plentiful as you think. Employers are not generally offering big salaries. I am hearing offers coming at least 10% down to as much as 50-60% below what you might have been making. Take what you can and keep on looking.

6. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

Smoke n mirrors my friend. Better car, 401k, bonus, bla bla bla. I guarantee you get zero pension. Every rep I know at Merck has at least 5-600k waiting as a lump with 20 years service. Many have much much more. Those same peeps also have similar amounts in 401k. Nice try troll.

7. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

Incredible. And they cut poorly compensated peons with less than 10? They basically get a few pennies above goose egg for a pension and no healthcare.....

Definitely something shady when we see some people get the moon and others get a shaft!

8. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

5-6oo k is small beans how about 1.5 to 2million. Yes and that is what many reps have received. The current group of self deceivers will never come close which is well deserved.

9. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

Copy Cat ! Nice ! Play On
    hr

10. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

When pension bridging goes away next year, that 500-600k goes to $200k if you are not 55 yet. GLTA

11. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

Dream on. 32 years got me $800K and the crappiest healthcare plan you can find. Don't buy into the lies.

12. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

Do not marry Merck for its pension. I am at another company where the pension is given out yearly after retirement and there is no lump sum. I am very happy as after decades that will amount to more than 2 million when I retire. Pensions are going away; if you were lucky to get hired years back you have it made; otherwise prepare yourself as the employee will be expected to save more.

13. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

Biggest employer in the country still has them; US Govt!

14. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

29 years, 1.3 million

15. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

Why is it that some Jack wagon always goes negative. First of all I said I was already let go, so the pension is a moot point. I will get what I accrued after 15 years as a lump sum at age 65. I also left with a 401k that I rolled over. Should be worth quite a bit in the next twenty years. That being said everything else is exactly dead on. I am not a "troll" I am a former Merckie that is sharing the hope of getting out if you can. If you want to sit around and keep your nose to the Merck grind stone than good luck to you I sinserely hope you make it to your retirement.

16. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

Under 10.....$39,000 for the pension somewhere's down the road....Meanwhile, sittin' curbside, tin can and sign in hand...Obamacare application and pen in pocket.

Yep, canned...and still in shock.

Sure thing, life is hummin' along :(

17. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

I'll take that 800K!!! Huge! What the heck are you saying? Big payoff and top healthcare at cheap rate....you can get a PPO cadillac plan for a few hundred a month (outside it would be 1200 a month).

Lets trade places. Take my amount that just about buys a mid sized US car -- yep a very little amount with just short of 10 years. No healthcare...

18. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

I think $39,000 will be considered generous as wheels come off the entitlement bus. The HR wiz kids will make sure most will leave with very little after 2015. Investors win!

19. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

Uttering the "e" word around folks who leave with a modest 39k Is off base.

Think about it as you glance over the posts here...folks raking in pensions of hundreds of thousand of dollars even a million or more who don't think its enough! Incredible, these big payoff people are set for life yet they think they need the moon!

20. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

The entitlements are no more than being in the right place at the right time, a little politics, and not much else. I might try to get an old timer to adopt me.