Contract MSL

Discussion in 'MSL Board' started by Anonymous, Nov 11, 2014 at 3:54 PM.

Tags: Add Tags
  1. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

Anyone know anything about contract MSL companies? TMAC, bestMSL, InVentiv, etc. Looking to break into the industry in the southeast and everyone keeps telling me to use one of these companies.

Thanks!

2. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

I would put TMAC and InVentiv over BestMSL, but I will admit I worked for both and had good experiences that lead to permanent positions with other companies. The life of a contract MSL isn't for the faint of heart--they lose contracts, companies dont' get the approval or you can get stuck with a manager that didn't hire you and is completely opposite.

TMAC's people are all veterans and very good, especially JW. Liked working for that person who was truly concerned with helping you get acclimated to industry and helping. Other managers at TMAC, can't say.

InVentiv is usually good to employees, but they do pay slightly below market value because you are not experienced. They will teach you, but I learned more from TMAC. TMAC's people are all from an older company that was one of the first.

The lifespan of a contractor is very low, less than 18 mos on average, so don't think you will make a career out of it. You are hired for one specific contract and you will be laid off if they lose the contract. The vast majority of the companies that hire contract MSLs do NOT hire them permanently, although a few have. Just remember that you work for them and not for the pharma company that contracted them. You will also have to deal with the internal politics of the company that contracted for MSLs, and a lot of times they will treat you horribly because they know they can.

Another thing to remember is that most of the companies who hire TMAC, InVentive or others do so for a specific reason--to increase sales, get through a situation (like a REMS) or are dealing with a launch product (pressure is HUGE) or a product nearing the end of its patent life (pressure to wring out every last dollar). If you have never dealt with KOLs, decision makers (like managed care pharmacy directors) or had significant clinical experience, it is much harder to break into this area.

Good luck.