What DSI will look like in 2 years

Discussion in 'Daiichi-Sankyo' started by Anonymous, May 22, 2015 at 10:54 AM.

Tags: Add Tags
  1. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

It amazes me that when you look at all the other companies out there, they are signing deals left and right for various products in various disease states. When I think back to the old guard and the success we had with Benicar, we could have avoided this patent cliff that we are about to face. Now we have new leadership that has come in and started their own regime change which is to be expected any time you get a new President, VP of Sales, Etc......but when you peel the covers back it looks like not only did we miss the boat on buying new products or getting decent co promotes, there appears to be a loss of confidence in Edison and how we do our studies. Communication and Morale is at an all time low. Sad part is the damage has been done and it looks like the big lay off will hit this October. A lot of good people have left DSI from all parts, HO, Field Sales, MM, RD's (some won't be missed). We have a triple generic coming that does not look like it will make up for much lost revenue. Would not be surprised if DSI sales fore shrank down to about 150-200 reps, much like the post Rezilin days when we got a break and licensed in Welchol. What is even scarier is that a lot of the malcontent is ture not just your typical Café Pharma Poster. If you look up DSI on Fierce Pharma there are a few articles that paint a very disturbing picture of things to come.

2. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

Spot on, rumblings that October will be a massive layoff..

3. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

I see two possible scenarios:

1. In two years from now, Welchol, Benicar, and Effient are gone. We are left with a Movantik copromote, Savaysa, and the recently launched CL-108. Please note, mirogabalin is not coming out until early 2018 at best and you can never count on oncology. So seriously, how much revenue will this produce, and we are talking NET revenue. Perhaps $250-300 million? That means 300-500 reps/DMs total, about 150 in HO so 2 Hilton will be down to one and a half floors of occupied space. DSI will return to the size it was pre-Benicar.

2. DS gets bought by another Japanese company, likely Astellas, and we are put out of our misery. HO would move to Chicago so most of the remaining 2 Hilton folks will be change in control severance packages.

Finance is already working on the next round of layoffs, sales and HO. I think it will be October for reps, but after the holiday season for HO.

4. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

The company will be run into the ground by our skirt chasing sales leader and his harem

5. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

Spot on. As much as DSI yelps about being a "Specialty" company, I don't see how Hospital AND CV make the cut. People can argue that Savaysa will require these sales forces, but who are we kidding? Best thing they can do is sell off this steaming pile and then downsize where they have a handful of PC reps selling this CL-108 hog.

6. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

I don't see us being purchased for one, we need to have a product(s) that other companies would want and two, we always hear that DSI Japan has deep pockets and would never want to sell the US division to loose their footing in the most profitable Pharma market (Even if we currently have carppy products), that is why back in 1997 You had Sankyo Parke Davis, 2001 Sankyo, and now Daiichi Sankyo. If any thing DSI will go through some massive layoffs and use a CSO if any of these new products show signs of life. The only thing I agree with, with the Amgenians is that DSI will look like a totally different company in 5 years. Along with other posts I agree we will be down to about 200 - 300 reps, Hospital and a majority of PC will be gone for a stand along Specialty sales force.

7. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

This is the most spot on post ive seen here in a very long time.

8. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

So if the future is so bad, stop your complaining and just leave. If you are so good you would have found something better than to stay here and complain.

9. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

Don't worry everyone will be screwed in October. Some people don't like the truth.

10. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

So brilliant person. Tell everyone how you know that October is true. What is your source? It's easy to spread untrue rumors. I know for a fact that nothing is planned for October. Prove me wrong.

11. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

Hey kids its RL! Gee Rob thanks for telling us that you have proof that nothing will happen in October. Shouldn't you be training for MMA or porking one of your home office HOs or female Rd's in stead of posting shit on Cp? Well keep your feet on the ground and keep reaching for the Stars little man and keep weaing your cool Skinny Jeans and sure everything will be a.o.k. yeah don't worry be happy because we are about to lose a billion dollar drug. What's that you say little Man? We will expand in October, wow that is neato huh kids?

12. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

Most top talent have already left. Tons of people are leaving every week, so this is already happening.

13. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

I can't speak for the next sale force cuts, but I'm in finance and working on a plan to cut another 100 HO employees and sub lease the 4th floor of 2 Hilton.

14. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

My sources are Bloomberg, Fierce Pharma, need I go on dick head?? Look for yourself Douche bag......

(Bloomberg) -- Daiichi Sankyo Co. risks losing a slice of revenue to generic-medicine competition next year. Now, the Japanese drugmaker’s plans to fill the gap have hit a roadblock and investors worry that growth may flounder.

The Tokyo-based company’s best-selling medicine is set to lose patent protection in 2016, and a new blood thinner had been seen as one of its best chances to offset the hit. Instead, a U.S. regulatory warning placed on the new drug’s packaging may limit its market potential.

Finding a way to boost earnings is becoming urgent for Daiichi Sankyo, once a high flyer with a lineup of promising drugs. Its 2008 purchase of India’s Ranbaxy Laboratories Ltd. resulted in share declines and lost profits. Benicar, the hypertension treatment whose patent is slated to expire next year, brings in about 27 percent of annual revenue.

“The market can’t expect earnings growth for Daiichi Sankyo for the next three to five years,” said Takashi Aoki, a fund manager at Mizuho Asset Management Co. “One of the common attractions for pharma stocks is stable cash flows that bring steady returns to shareholders. But its M&A track record is bad and hasn’t generated cash, which means shareholders can’t expect that.”

Daiichi Sankyo continues to look for opportunities to buy resources in the U.S. to make up for sales pressure from the patent expiration, Manabu Sakai, an executive vice president, said in a Jan. 30 earnings briefing. The drugmaker reiterated its full-year forecast last month, saying profit is expected to rise 6.7 percent to 65 billion yen ($554 million) for the fiscal year ending March.

New Opportunities

Daiichi Sankyo’s struggle to find new blockbusters offers a window into the broader pressures across Japan’s pharmaceutical industry. Japanese drugmakers produced a generation of new drugs in the 1990s, including Takeda Pharmaceutical Co.’s Actos for diabetes and Eisai Co.’s Aricept for Alzheimer’s disease.

In more recent years, they have struggled to replicate that success, failing to come up with major pharmaceutical breakthroughs even as blockbusters like Gilead Sciences Inc.’s Sovaldi for hepatitis C or Roche Holding AG’s cancer drug Avastin were developed by international competitors.

Daiichi Sankyo is preparing to sell the new blood thinner, called edoxaban, in the U.S. this month. In January, the U.S. Food and Drug Administration decided that edoxaban would sell with a so-called “boxed warning” that would caution against it being used for patients with normal renal function.

“The restricted label is a big negative,” said Emilia Falcetti, a health-care analyst at Cantor Fitzgerald Capital Markets Ltd. in Hong Kong. “The drug doesn’t have huge benefits compared with the competitors and doesn’t have a sales partner to boost promotion.”

Blood Thinner

The blood thinner faces plenty of competition. It will be the fourth drug to the market in the class of anti-coagulant drugs called factor Xa inhibitors. Competitors include one product from Bayer AG and Johnson & Johnson and another from Pfizer Inc. and Bristol-Myers Squibb Co.

“It’s unfortunate we had a small restriction,” said Sakai. “Sales will be affected by it slightly but we aren’t so pessimistic as we think the efficacy of the drug stands out within the approved area.” Daiichi Sankyo won’t comment further and will give a briefing on the promotional strategy and sales prospects of edoxaban on Feb. 17, he said.

Indian Deal

The Japanese drugmaker was created in 2005 from Sankyo Co.’s purchase of Daiichi Pharmaceutical Co. The two firms planned to tap international growth to offset a slowing domestic market. Aided by growing sales of Benicar, the stock of the merged company reached its peak in 2007.

In 2008, it paid $4.6 billion for a majority stake in India’s Ranbaxy to expand into generics and offset an impending patent cliff. That acquisition ran into trouble after the FDA banned several Ranbaxy plants from selling to the U.S. After taking writedowns and failing to turn around the India business, Daiichi Sankyo agreed to sell the stake to Sun Pharmaceutical Industries Ltd. last year.

Japanese pharmaceutical companies facing patent expirations have in the past had some success with acquisitions. Takeda bought Millennium Pharmaceuticals Inc. in 2008 and Nycomed in 2011, helping bolster sales when Actos lost patent protection and gaining experimental drugs and new markets. After years of absorbing costs of the Ranbaxy purchase, the resources Daiichi Sankyo has for more acquisitions may be limited.

‘Tricky Position’

“The company is in a little bit of a tricky position at the moment,” said Falcetti of Cantor Fitzgerald.“I can’t see an obvious solution to their problem. They have a little bit of money they could use for an acquisition, not a huge amount. But there’s nothing much that’s cheap, good value in the U.S.”

Falcetti expects edoxaban to generate 26 billion yen ($220 million) in fiscal 2019. By contrast, Benicar had sales of almost $2.6 billion last fiscal year. Edoxaban was approved in Japan in September and generated 2.1 billion yen in the quarter ended December and is under review by regulators in Europe.

Daiichi Sankyo cut 513 jobs, or 6 percent of its employees in Japan, it reported on Jan. 30. The company also aims to squeeze 20 billion yen of cash over about two years, primarily from shrinking inventory, Sakai said.

Job Cuts

The drugmaker expects to gain a stake of about 9 percent in Sun Pharma after completing the sale of Ranbaxy and may give an update on how it plans to utilize the proceeds in the mid-term plan, Sakai said. When the deal closes the Japanese company will benefit from a jump in Sun’s shares, which have risen about 60 percent since the deal was announced.

Daiichi Sankyo is reviewing its mid-term business plan and will give guidance before reporting full-year earnings in May, Sakai said. Only two of the 16 analysts who track the company suggest buying the stock, with the rest split between sell and hold ratings, according to data compiled by Bloomberg. Daiichi Sankyo’s stock closed at 1,785 yen

15. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

The writing has been on the wall for years, and the demise of DSI shouldn't be news to anyone. Nonetheless, for those who still doubt it, a quick search on the internet should suffice to confirm any doubts. Sadly, there are those who are still in denial and I say let them be. Someone will have to turn off the lights to the 1 1/2 floors that will be left of 2 Hilton. RIP.

16. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

What about Edison?

17. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

Nothing in that article said job cuts in October. In fact, it was written prior to our recent job cuts. Look at the stock recently. Increases like never before. Things not as bleak as you paint. Go ahead and leave. We'll find some other monkeys.

18. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

Hey shit for Brains, the company is losing 2 Billion in sales and has no hopes of making it up in 5 years. Let me spell it out for you because you obviously can't read that's Billion with a B. Boy are you stupid. I bet you voted Obama because you believed he could make change happen. Hey Peter Pan, enjoy living in never never land and say hello to Tinker Bell for me.

19. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

UPDATED: Daiichi Sankyo starts layoff drive with 16% cuts at HQ

Headline: Starts Layoff Drive..... wake up man it is just starting, do you need me to define what start means? So if the company is loosing 2 Billion in sales do you really think that April layoffs took care of this. No. Do you think Sr. Leadership will tell us what the next cuts will be? NO. You are a complete moron.

"The numbers on Daiichi's sales rep cuts are still in the works, Wix said. "Final decisions regarding the field sales staff will be made by mid-April," she said, noting that the company has "taken many steps to support colleagues of ours who are being displaced."

20. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

A giant turd.