Layoff

Discussion in 'Medtronic' started by Anonymous, Apr 17, 2012 at 3:45 PM.

Tags: Add Tags
  1. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

Massive layoff at Medtronic, very little respect to people, not a good company to work for.

2. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

Very true. They talk the talk but dont walk the walk. My advice for people still working there: watch your back and take care of #1.

3. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

Can you elaborate on that comment? What are you hearing? I have seen nothing through the 'official' channels.

4. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

Nice grammar... Is English your first language? I call BS on this guy.

5. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

CRDM field employees find out on 26th. Some management found out today the rest this week.

6. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

And Mounds View CRDM will also be subjected to The Wrath of Omar on 4/26.

7. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

Any word on Spine? What about the shared services organization?

8. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

losing your job sucks, it hurts the ego and theres always someone else that should have been let go instead. but if its such a terrible company to work for you'd think people would be happy to get the boot. In fact do everyone (yourself, your collegues, the shareholders) a favor and quit now. find a "good" company to work for and be happy.

while unfortunate reducing the # of employees is necessary. regarding the comments about it not being done dignified, give me a break. you'll get a matter of fact statement that your services are no longer needed and you'll need to leave now. what do you expect? even if you had a great relationship with your manager they can't really say anything else without opening up the company to liability.

sure we can gripe about why so many worker bees and so few managers. find me a company where that doesnt happen. thats not an excuse to make it ok, but don't come off saying MDT does it worse and more disrespectful than any other company.

9. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

Sounds to me like YOU ned to be RIFF'd out of YOUR job. It'd be a real eye opener for you. It's obvious, you haven't walked a mile in THOSE shoes. I'll bet a little first-hand experience would go a long way to changing your tune.

10. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

What an insensitive ass hole you are. Obviously you have never been though a RIF before. You dont know what its like to have to tell your family you lost your job. How you kids will react when they cant go to summer camp or might have to change schools because daddy might not have any income for a while. How you lay awake every night thinking about how you will feed your family when the savings runs out.

I gave that company my all for 21 years. I gave up a lot of time with my family on nights and weekends. I gave up a lot of vacation time so I could meet project deadlines. I never gave less than 100% and what did I get for the extra effort? - a pink slip. If I could give anyone still there some advice it would be to take care of yourself first, not the other way around like I did.

I dont know how other companies do it, but I can tell you MDT does not do it like they publicly say they do. They couldn't give a rats ass about you after you walk out the door.

I would also argue your point that "reducing the # of employees is necessary." Really? How has that worked out the last few years? Continued market share and sales decline. A company that make BILLIONS in PROFITS every year laying people off comes down to one thing - greed.

Perhaps you will be part of the next RIF and then you will have some empathy for others.

11. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

I couldn't have said it better myself. It wasn't 21 years for me, but pretty close to it. I gave them everything I had, for 17 years before suddenly being RIFFed out the door.

You're right. Once you're out the door, they want to forget all about you. Don't expect any help trying to find another job, because they just don't care. It's really tough these days, with the economy being what it is.

I too, have lost, and continue to lose sleep at night, wondering how I'm going to put our finances back together.

Facing my family and telling them that I lost my job almost killed me. It was one of the hardest things that I had ever done.

12. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

Personally, I view a RIF as a pure and simple Management Leadership failure. Our market changes slowly, over months and years, and if our leadership IS DOING ITS JOB it continuously monitors and adjusts accordingly. We have not been hit by a tsunami overnight. There is no excuse for a RIF at this time except Management Leadership Failure.

13. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

First of all, I have to say I sympathize with you guys that lost your jobs. Its hard and folks like Omar have no idea what its like (or have forgot). Its a lot easier getting laid off when you are a millionaire and have a golden parachute.

On the previous post I will take one exception to your comment that managements job is to "continuously monitor and adjusts accordingly." While you are right for a good company, a GREAT company creates the market. Medtronic used to do this - they owned the market and created new opportunities. Bill George didnt blame 'the market' if the numbers didnt come in, he took responsibility. To me good management doesnt just put their sails up and try to catch the wind.

14. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

Well, Medtronic management hasn't "created" anything in years, except new and improved ways of being a market share donor.

15. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

Not a good day for 5 VPs in the IT group today.

16. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

This is an impossible subject to change the minds and the spirits hurt by RIFF's. I was part of a riff with another company but my perspective is a little different than most...not that it's right. I did not accept my riff as a matter of being targeted for any other reason than I was part of a giant corporation and just another number...nothing personal. I always exceeded my number year after year, confident in my abilities and that could be transitioned anywhere I go....the company can't take that from me even if they get rid of me. My outlook is simple;
    -I came to you for the job and you gave it to me and took care of me and my family for years. You could have said "No".
    - You didn't give me a life time promise of a job so I knew one day I might be riffed.
    - I never promised you I would work for you forever and may some day leverage my job to obtain another.
    - I gave you 100% and you paid me 100% for the agreed amount you hired me for and you never missed a payment.
    - I grew my resume based on the opportunities you afforded me.
    - You invested over $200k in me for the interviewing, processing and training to acquire the skills I have today and you took a risk in hiring me.
    - My kids went to great schools and we lived in a great place because of the employment you gave me.

The struggle we have in being riffed is the sudden disconnection our human nature hates. Having believed and been a part of a "Mission" with warm human touch overtones that can be coldly severed with no believable rationale, or acknowledgement of our sacrifices ands accomplishments, is a wound that no company has a device or cure to make us feel better. There simply is nothing that can be said or done to change that.

17. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

Right on. But what compounds that hurt is the fact that many bad apples remain - I mean BAD APPLES that are unethical and do not represent the company in a professional. How a documented sexual harasser or an employees who has been caught expensing personal expenses can remain employed is what disgusts most.

18. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

Well said..I was a Victim of the riff last year..but you have to move on , no matter how unfair it seems you are just a pin on the map in the corporate picture. I had 12 years and didn't see it coming as I always did the right thing ,was well respected and delivered results.. Oh well ..position was deleted.

19. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

Where did we come to believe that people are just items to be traded or thrown away. It is sad that we do not care anymore. Our management is weak and greedy and does not wan to take any risk and is over reacting on small variaiton of profit. It is sad. We used to be a nation that worked.

20. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

Are we talking about national politics or the company Medtronic? You have spelling errors and ramble from talking about companies to national politics (without specifying a nation). And who is "we" that you refer to as not caring any more? Are you in the leadership at Medtronic that has decided to lay people off? If you are, then quit bitching here and go do something about it. If you aren't in leadership at Medtronic, you need to re-learn your personal pronouns from grammar school.