Henry Schein Dental? How is it?

Discussion in 'Henry Schein Dental' started by Anonymous, Feb 8, 2011 at 10:53 PM.

Tags: Add Tags
  1. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

Any good or bad info?
    Pay? Management? Current Market Condition?

Thanks!

2. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

Great company! In full on acquisition mode right now, so they're adding pieces and parts all over the place. If you're a brand new rep, which it sounds like you will be, you'll probably get a startup territory, which is really low pay. This is definitely a "pay your dues" job. It'll take you a couple of years to get the territory really up and running, but once it is you're full commission essentially uncapped. You will essentially be a quarterback for most of your dental offices, providing them with support and service, and bringing in manufacturer reps as regularly as possible. Schein has a good name, is extremely philanthropic and is pretty well run.

3. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

"Schein has a good name, is extremely philanthropic and is pretty well run."

I just threw up in my mouth. Schein, extremely philanthropic? If you say so. . .

Good name, abosultely, I would say Great Name. Well run, No Doubt about it.

Philanthropic, well, make sure to achieve your sales targets, like anywhere else these days.

I have to go clean up now.

4. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

Thanks for the info, sometimes it just drives me nuts that there are more disgruntle employees here then anything else. Yes--I'm new to the dental industry and truly understand that it does take time to build up the territory. Any idea on how is the turnover rate? The industry that I'm coming from (Office Capital Equipment) has an extreme high turnover rate--most reps lasts 8 to 10 months and then leave on their own.

Thanks!

5. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

Great company! In full on acquisition mode right now, so they're adding pieces and parts all over the place. If you're a brand new rep, which it sounds like you will be, you'll probably get a startup territory, which is really low pay. This is definitely a "pay your dues" job. It'll take you a couple of years to get the territory really up and running, but once it is you're full commission essentially uncapped. You will essentially be a quarterback for most of your dental offices, providing them with support and service, and bringing in manufacturer reps as regularly as possible. Schein has a good name, is extremely philanthropic and is pretty well run.

6. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

Thanks for the info, sometimes it just drives me nuts that there are more disgruntle employees here then anything else. Yes--I'm new to the dental industry and truly understand that it does take time to build up the territory. Any idea on how is the turnover rate? The industry that I'm coming from (Office Capital Equipment) has an extreme high turnover rate--most reps lasts 8 to 10 months and then leave on their own.

7. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

As a new dentist in an established practice what would be the benefits of buying from a Patterson, Schein or Benco type company? I typically buy direct. Not seeing much of a price break!

8. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

By "Philanthropic" I meant with the world in general, not your salary or pay specifically. They give a LOT of money away. They were actually given some award last year for being the most philanthropic of all medical device distributors for the year. Solid company and after working for them for 5 years, i have nothing but good things to say about them.

As for buying through a distributor vs. buying direct. That's easy. If you wanted toilet paper, toothpaste, milk, cd's and a some buttons for your pants, would you go to each individual manufacturer, or Wal-Mart? Schein, Patterson and Benco all have the benefit of volume purchasing which should help the bottom line some. In addition, by partnering with one of them you're gaining easy access to all of the other manufacturing companies they work through. You can shop all day long and, perhaps, save a little bit of money (although i would bet across all of your products you would be hard pressed to find savings). Or you can partner with a distributor of everything, and go practice dentistry.