What happened to K Massey in Medical?

Discussion in 'Novartis' started by Anonymous, Nov 23, 2009 at 9:58 PM.

Tags: Add Tags
  1. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

I used to work for him at PD - he is a good guy. I heard he got pushed out. Does anyone know where he went?

2. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

Gone like a freight train, gone like yesterday, gone like a soldier in the civil war, bang bang - gone like a '59 Cadillac, like all those good things, that ain't NEVER comin' back, yeah he's GONE!!!

3. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

I think that he got pushed out because upper management finally figured out that the Scientific Operations group is a huge waste of time, money and personnel.

Oooh..."Dr. to Dr. access"....yeah - right. A bunch of pharmacists with thier heads up their asses who think that bringing in a sandwich along with their Pharm"D" will give them access as "colleagues".....give me a freaking break!! If they did not have this gig, they'd be counting pills at the local CVS at 10PM on Saturday night...and they know it! "Excuse me 'doctor'....I'd like to add a People magaziene and a box of ribbed condoms to that script for hemorroid cream."

You want to know why our Bonuses get hosed? Becasue the SciOps group burns cash like Hitler burned books. Too bad that the entire group didn't get shown the door along with Ken....but I am hopeul that thier time is coming.

4. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

Sounds like someone wishes their pathetic life as a snack tray delivery boy was better. No sense in bashing bona fide health care professionals when you can't even fully understand the products that you claim to sell. My doctor writes for whichever product has the fewest call backs or lack of AEs and is being represented by the hottest sales rep, in hopes to get into her pants. A good product sells itself and you tout yourself as a "sales genius". A mediocre or shitty product takes some work to sell. When things are going well it most definitely is because of the star-studded sales force. But when the numbers are bad, it's funny how quickly the sales force gets a serious case of vaginitis and is quick to blame the MSLs. "I can't sell my [insert me-too product name here] because of those damn MSLs disclosing the safety and efficacy data". "How can they expect us to sell our product while they are out there telling our doctors what to expect when using the product?". MSL=My Sacrificial Lamb.

What you don't understand about MSLs is the work that they do outside of the commercial realm in which you live. Any MSL worth his/her salt will be well plugged into the various research networks and is often asked to make informed recommendations on placement and conduct of clinical trials. This is important because without research, there's no data. With no data, no submission to FDA. No FDA approval means no product for which you can rationalize your sales existence.

I agree about KM, it's probably a very good thing that he is gone. But you are completely delusional if you believe your "daily office calls", delivery of bagels and lunches to the already overweight office staff, and occassional face-to-face "interactions" with an actual doctor when you run into him in the hallway while popping out of your makeshift office known as a sample closet actually impact the sales of your product(s).

5. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

you do know for "counting pills" one needs a license and YOU DO NOT HAVE IT, what is your claim to fame poor littlte bagel pusher. hope to get your family Rx sometimes.

6. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

You sir are a moron and ample proof as to why sales and marketing are being marginalized both by PHARMA and by the consultants all pharma's use to make such decisions. Face it, you are going to be less and less part of the future in pharmaceuticals.

7. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

Ken was a good guy. He got put aside for several reasons. He is not an MD. Had he been an MD there is a high probability he would never have been pushed aside (he left on his own having read the writing on the wall about being a PharmD). Orloff diminished his role and he saw that it was time to go. He went to Mitsubishi Tanabe Pharma and now is head of their Med Affairs. Orloff in the meantime was in way over his head for a regulatory guy. The future will bear this out.

8. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

The poster above me has no history with Novartis to give a "real" explanation for Ken's departure.

First - john Orloff might have been in regulatory prior to taking over the US Med Affairs - but he had extensive background in Clinical Development and Medical Affairs in the past - including orchestrating the development and approval of Aclasta/Reclast. He is a capable individual, and dilegent.

Second - Ken was never "discriminated" by not being a MD.
    He came in Novartis, and had full support of Dr Perlof and Cunnighham (and Paolo Costa) - he grew the SciOps MSLs group to a best-in-class for the Industry - later his scope of responsabilities expanded, and promoted to a VP.

His position was cut during a re-organization.
    There were attempts to find him another position, but there was not any.
    Here is where things get murky - as he might have had the support of Debra Barker (Cunningham's boss in Global) to be placed in a position appropiate for his level and extensive capabilities. This was a great loss to the organization - Ken KNOWS the MSLs world - like few people know it.

Like many other collegues that were cut-off by the myopic vision of Trevor and his HR snake, thanks to their capabilities and solid values/behaviors - these individuals have landed much better jobs at other companies : our friends are NOW our competitors...

Let's hope Ken's MSL-group doesn't cream us !!!

9. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

good to hear from you Ken, how is it going ??

10. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

Ken is at Merck, Heading their US Medidcal Affairs group as VP of Global Medical Affairs. He just added 120 new positions. Ken is well respected at Merck and making a huge difference...sorry, your loss - Merck's gain.

11. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

Ken is not respected at Merck and the organization he created has created a great deal of damage and is largely ineffective.

12. anonymous

anonymous Guest

13. anonymous

anonymous Guest

Leaving Merck

14. anonymous

anonymous Guest

He is a danger to Medical Affairs-cheer leader who missed his calling as a super sales rep or scketchy southern preacher.