Laid off while on Medical leave treating cancer

Discussion in 'Amgen' started by Anonymous, Oct 30, 2014 at 12:02 PM.

Tags: Add Tags
  1. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

Well Amgen gave me noticed while on medical leave treating Cancer. I just can't believe it.

2. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

That is just heartless! I wish you well in your recovery and to finding something better when you are well.

3. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

This is very disturbing to hear! There is a very special place in hell for whoever made that decision! I'm wishing you a full recovery!

4. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

Cold and Brutal. I have a feeling you will look back on this day and be stronger for it.

You will thrive. Keep grinding

5. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

I know that you have more important concerns with your health but it might be wise to check with an employment attorney to investigate whether Amgen violated the Family Medical Leve Act. Unfortunately, as heartless as it sounds, there are some allowed exemptions during reductions in force.

6. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

Aww..this happened to a friend of mine that worked at Amgen 7 years ago. She unfortunately had an aggressive non responsive treatment to cancer therapy and she is gone now. They gave everyone packages..but except her because she had been out on FMLA. She called and just asked for the medical coverage for the year that everyone was being given and they denied her (one year, might have helped her)..but she wasn't given that chance either. Her and her husband sort an attorney and there was nothing they could do...because of all the clauses...and legal terms in all the FMLA paperwork and layoff rules. I'm so sorry you are another victim of not only cancer but being rejected by a company that you thought was your "friend". We are all numbers..cancer or not...which is the hard truth we all have to face now. Your cancer took you out of there..and now you can see why...it wasn't the right place for you..I hope you recover and find happiness somewhere else. I am currently taking an on line course..for something I enjoy. I hope you got some package from them at least (my friend didn't)...and if you didn't...seriously remember..Karma gets the best of them...even the best...I don't know how this is the BEST company to work for...in these situations. We may not be able to sue..but a nice article in fortune 500...would be cool. I can work on that :). Swallow your pride....Amgen does not make us who we are...Beat this cancer..and know there are people like me...cheering you on...

7. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

count yourself lucky 9 months to live, 9 months of severance.

Most of us won't have money to last even that long.

8. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

Isn't it ironic?
    While the company "claims": "to have therapies to restore health", "save lives" and "serve patients" and at the same time happens things like this; these missions statements seems to be hypocrite when you hear about stories like yours.
    Now stay focused on your recovery, don't give up, ok! Get well soon!

9. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

Our Mission and Values
    Amgen strives to serve patients by transforming the promise of science and biotechnology into therapies that have the power to restore health or even save lives. In everything we do, we aim to fulfill our mission to serve patients. And every step of the way, we are guided by the values that define us.

Our Mission: To Serve Patients

Our Values:

Be Science-Based
    Compete Intensely and Win
    Create Value for Patients, Staff and Stockholders
    Be Ethical
    Trust and Respect Each Other
    Ensure Quality
    Work in Teams
    Collaborate, Communicate and Be Accountable

Be Science-Based

Our success depends on superior scientific innovation, integrity and continuous improvement in all aspects of our business through the application of the scientific method. We see the scientific method as a multi-step process that includes designing the right experiment, collecting and analyzing data and rational decision making. It is not subjective or emotional, but rather a logical, open and rational process. Applying the scientific method in all parts of the organization is expected and highly valued.

Compete Intensely and Win

We compete against time, past performance and industry rivals to rapidly achieve high quality results. Winning requires taking risks. We cannot be lulled into complacency by previous achievements. Though we compete intensely, we maintain high ethical standards and demand integrity in our dealings with competitors, customers, partners and each other.

Create Value for Patients, Staff and Stockholders

We provide value by focusing on the needs of patients. Amgen creates a work environment that provides opportunities for staff members to reach their full potential. We strive to provide stockholders with superior long-term returns while balancing the needs of patients, staff and stockholders.

Be Ethical

We are relentless in applying the highest ethical standards to our products, services and communications.

Trust and Respect Each Other

Every job at Amgen is important and every Amgen staff member is important. We attract diverse, capable and committed people and provide an environment that fosters inclusion, respect, individual responsibility and values diversity. Trust is strengthened through personal initiative and by obtaining quality results rapidly.

Ensure Quality

Quality is a cornerstone of all of our activities. We seek the highest quality information, decisions and people. We produce high quality products and services. Quality is woven into the fabric of everything we do.

Work in Teams

Our teams work quickly to move scientific breakthroughs from the lab through the clinic to the marketplace and to support other aspects of our business. Diverse teams working together generate the best decisions for patients, staff and stockholders. Our team structure provides opportunities for Amgen staff to impact the direction of the organization, to gain broader perspective about other functions within Amgen and to reach their full potential.

Collaborate, Communicate and Be Accountable

Leaders at Amgen seek input and involve key stakeholders in important decisions. In gathering input, strong leaders will welcome diverse opinions, conflicting views and open dialogue for serious consideration. They will clearly communicate decisions and rationale openly and in a timely manner. Once a decision is made, the leader and members of the team will all be accountable for the results and for implementing the decision rapidly.

Last updated on: July 31, 2007

10. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

Oh! That makes sense! Last rev was on 2007.

11. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

So, how long were you on medical leave?

12. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

Another fine example of Amgen's

Every patient every time....

13. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

Their mission statement...what a crock of shit.

14. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

I'm very sorry for your cancer. But, I don't think they can lay you off while on medical leave. Are you SURE you were laid off? I don't think they can legally.

15. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

Amgen has like 100+ lawyers for this very reason. Plus, senior management doesn't care either.

Amgen should rename itself to "Heartless therapeutics"

16. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

Hey guys, I'm all better. It just turned out to be an inflamed Prostate. Have a great weekend, I'm getting paid a yeas severance bitches! Bahahahahaha.

17. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

And new mission statement and values will be released:

Amgen strives to get money and create a stressfull
    work environment. In everything Amgen does
    it fulfills its mission. In every step, it is guided by
    values to justify its actions.

Values:

1. Science based trial and error
    2. Pass over others to survive
    3. Create value for stockholders (ONLY)
    4. Be un-ethical
    5. Don't trust and don't respect others
    6. Ensure quality only if it does not sacrify money
    7. Teamwork (this one is a joke)
    8. Blame others

18. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

yup. Well said. Recognizeable to anyone who has worked there.

19. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

Amen

20. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

This is the most Evil company you could ever work for.