Gilead to raise price for new hepatitis C drug above $84,000

Discussion in 'Pharma/Biotech Companies - In the News' started by cafead, Sep 14, 2014 at 11:53 AM.

1. cafead

cafead Administrator
    Staff Member

The most clicked news item from Friday's front page news was this Yahoo/Reuters piece:

Gilead to raise price for new hepatitis C drug above $84,000

Although Gilead is already under fire for it's current price tag of $84,000, it is planning on raising the price of the treatment to a higher unspecified amount.

The article discusses predictions for the new higher cost, plus the claim that the treatment will actually be shortened, and therefore less expensive over the life of the treatment, at least for some patients.

What is your opinion on the pricing plan?

2. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

Greedy!

3. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

I don't have an issue with a big price tag for a curative therapy. We have very few of those.

I have a big issue with charging $1200 for Sovaldi in India. I bet all those state Medicaids getting crushed by Solvaldi costs are just thrilled that they are subsidizing healthcare in India.

Gilead needs to maximize their revenue fast, as in 1 year it's a whole new ball game.

4. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

Reminds me of our government. The people who make more have to pay more in taxes in order to subsidize those that make less.

5. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

creates a nice forum for greedy CI Hep C market report trolls. Gaining a forum for beginning conversations with folks they would otherwise not have a means to speak with, and all for freeeeeeee! hows that for good pricing?

6. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

Listen I successfully completed treatment this summer. Sovaldi is worth every penny. The part that is never talked about is that you will probably end up with type two diabetes after completing treatment. That is the main side effect that nobody is talking about. The price like everything that is out for awhile will come down.

7. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

off topic from your quote much pal?