Veteran Rep - 10 Rejections

Discussion in 'IQVIA Sales' started by Anonymous, Dec 18, 2013 at 4:21 PM.

Tags: Add Tags
  1. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

This is all very interesting, I am 58, 26years in the industry, big pharma for the majority, intermediate for 2 years and new start up for 4. However usually get a job, what I find is the most important is finding the right fit, you can tell from the get go if you are in, don't ever be tempted to go against your gut feelings..or research..it will be doomed. Many of the bright young things I have encountered in my time have crashed and burned, the others..well they now run the business. What makes the difference I haven't a clue. So, keep trying, keep up to date and know your data inside and out and good luck.

The biggest difference I now find is that recruitment agencies pre screen via send in your cv first, no I want to discuss the role first, one major recruitment company lost me through that, went via an internal referral, their loss my mates gain.

2. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

The reason experienced Big pharma representatives are not interviewed is a simple matter of salary. When they fill out the application they put $75,000 and higher bases. They are immediately rejected and taken out of the job pool on most contracts. Salaries are not usually up for discussion, it really is that simple. Some contracts pay more but they are specialty positions. I have been burned several times with people saying they would except the lower salary only to have them leave when they get more money. My team is almost all 40 years old and older. No age discrimination just to high salary requirements.

3. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

You were just making too much money for these contract jobs. Period. It has nothing to do with your abilities or age. I am making $40,000 less than when I was with "big pharma". It's a hard pill to swallow, but a reality in today's pharma world.

4. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

picking up this old thread..pharm rep used to be top of the ladder sales position. You were the company, period (this is some 15 years ago)...now with pods, teams, groups, specialty, hospital reps are falling all over the place...job is now basically an entry level sales position for someone out of college or 1-2 years experience...insurance and government dictate what is Rx'd, docs are now just employees of huge hospital groups.....gotta find a different gig that's all

5. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

poster #74--I am a Veteran Rep with 26 years experience in multiple arenas of the industry. i did get hired for a contract, but had to take a $40,000 pay loss. I almost did not take it, but I really had nothing else. Now, 16 months later, I still have nothing else, so I am really glad that I did.

6. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

not a demoralizing comment, but you may consider offering HJ's at massage situations. You could do well. get your technique down and you can do well. good luck!!

7. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

Way to go grampy

8. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

Having a short gap out of pharma (say a year) only makes it that much difficult (recruiter thinking , gee you haven't worked in pharma for over a year, what's wrong with this guy?)..it keeps coming back to who really is a friendly ally willing to hire you.

9. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

Please drive that iron stake thru your face

10. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

? ? uh, you got me there.

11. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

Dumb putz shake the tabla for elf

12. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

I have a question about the interview process: were you asked to pay for your own flights for an out of town interview?
    Did you get reimbursed?

13. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

They always do.

These are people with no clue about life.

The OP sticks their neck out, about what is going on in our industry, and gets that type of feedback...

OP, I would just keep at it...and look into other industries. there are also independent sales opportunities, and there are inside sales jobs you might want to take a look at.

good luck. keep us posted.

14. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

I agree totally. I worked on a contract with Pfizer, and they are hired a woman with no experience. no sales experience!
    Ok, so you give her a shot. Great. Well, this woman was just terrible. Couldn't even return a cal.
    That is when I knew I had to move on from this industry...when the great Pfizer is hiring people like this.
    Pfizer was ONCE a very good company. But that was 15-20 years ago.

time moves fast...and Pfizer is not something to brag about anymore.

15. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

I attended one of their interviews. It was a total disorganized circus.
    The hiring decision had already been made before the face to face interviews. The recruiter shared that with me and it was correct.
    I paid for all of my own travel and was never reimbursed!!!!

16. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

Age discrimination is a crime. Yep, a crime with big punishment. Got that Q!

17. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

Yes it's called Stryker Gramps!

18. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

I also attended one of their interviews: it was a total and complete waste of my time.
    I saw the person that was hired - total eye candy with a short skirt on. Half my age.

19. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

I sat down with them once. The mgr. started talking about off-label selling in the first five minutes of the interview. I clarified their indication.
    I was never reimbursed for my travel, either.

20. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

Okay. Saw this thread and wanted to share my experience. Was with Quintiles a long time. When you reach a certain age with them, you are going to be discriminated against. Also, the recruiters lie all the time about projects. They just want to fill them. Most district managers I have worked with are trainable monkeys that will grovel and do whatever the client tells them to do, REGARDLESS of how it affects the employees, and patients. The industry is trashed and in trouble, for sure. They would rather hire idiots, than those with experience. It's all about money, make no mistake.