The Double Whammy of Losing Your Pharma Sales Job at Merck

Discussion in 'Merck' started by Anonymous, Jun 25, 2014 at 2:04 PM.

Tags: Add Tags
  1. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

Since the pharmaceutical industry has become such a bizarre, "parallel" universe that seems to pride itself in handing out 6 figure salaries, for part-time (if that) work, all you drug reps should know about what happens when Merck unceremoniously dumps you into the world of real jobs…

The first whammy is that you will realize how badly your real job skills have atrophied, and basically died on the vine…Unless you are in marketing, you will have a bloody awful time trying to sell your skill set to a new employer outside of pharma.

The second blow is that you will be working for far, far less money than you made as a drug rep, and working harder for it.

Those in their 20s and early 30s, can still recover from their bad vocational choice of pharma rep, but from about 35 on, it will be VERY difficult and a real uphill slog…

trust me on this…I have lived it...

2. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

sucks to be you

3. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

What an ass. Do you get all giddy inside when you put others down?

I started my job search a week after reorganization announcements and have had 6 interviews with great companies and am proceeding with each one into the 2nd, 3rd or final interviews.

I have had absolutely no negative feedback about my career in pharma or Merck.

Take some time crafting your resume, gather all of your sales documenation (today before computers are shut down), create a linkedin page and connect with recruiters, put your feelers out with old colleagues, and customers you have good relationships with. Be smart, get prepared, and knock'em dead.

Don't let asses like the OP get you down. There is life after Merck.

4. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

I agree #3. I have been busy as well. 6 potential jobs lined up, people TRIPPING over themselves over my resume. 5/6 are OUTSIDE of pharma. If Merck isn't for me anymore, I'm done with the industry. My interviews have all been outstanding. I have been met with no negativity AT ALL. Folks, we ALL will be fine.

5. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

It does suck to be me, and I bet you anything that all these folks chiming
    in about companies outside of pharma "tripping" over each other to hire them,
    are less than 35 years of age...

The haters can come on here and rag on me if it makes them feel better...

Many will probably be writing similar posts to mine in the upcoming months,
    as they see how their pharma experience adds up to little or nothing...

6. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

Dear OP,

There are dozens of reps I know who have landed on their feet and are in much better positions in and out of pharma. Low and behold most are over 40 as well. Just because you haven't been able to, does not mean everyone is in the same boat.

Honestly not surprised considering how you are trying to kick people while they are down. Perhaps, you should look a little deeper on why you haven't been able to get a better job. Try working on your attitude.

7. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

OP is correct, if you are over 50. Hopefully, anyone in this group has enough money saved to be "OK" financially. But that doesn't solve the problem of what to do with the rest of your life.

8. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

Totally true. Disagree? Then you don't know what the hell you're talking about. Living inside the Merck bubble too,too long. But some have to experience it to realize it. Supply- demand. The demand for what you " do" is weak.

9. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

Thqnk you...you get it...Over 50 and a pharma lifer, and cannot get hired anywhere except boiler room commission sales jobs with all the kids...

I think most of the haters here are young...try being over 50 and out of pharma...very tough to find out what to do with the rest of one's life...

10. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

Here's the truth you can't handle: Almost everyone I meet under the age of 30 have very little to no people skills. Probably the effect of being raised by a computer.

The world will always be in demand of people who can get through to other people, and that is something pharma has taught us very well.

I just hope I don't end up having to go into politics!

11. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

#4 is 42. Almost 20 years here.
    What I do agree with the OP is i needed to get out before I got much older and staler and brain atrophied into a pancake. I handraised and I hope I can get while the getting is good.
    I agree the older the harder but we ARE SALESPEOPLE and CAN ALL sell ourselves and ourselves and our experiences. Keep the faith OP!

12. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

I left Merck awhile back and I am now in pharma market research. I started in market research at age 41 and at the present time, most market researchers in my department are aged 40-55. Check out marker research Merck reps!

13. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

Unless you have a major life event or large medical bill, those over 50 should have been ready.

Signed,
    Retired at 55 with 30 years in and busy as heck doing other stuff these days.

14. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

Did not want to necessarily be 60+ but made $, did well, etc. would not want to be in the pharmaceutical industry. I meet more people who got sick, had stress, etc. the dms are control freaks, anal, etc. for the most part and the job is made increasingly impossible and difficult. I would not wish it on anyone.