Medline Commission Structure?

Discussion in 'Medline' started by Anonymous, Jun 1, 2011 at 5:37 PM.

Tags: Add Tags
  1. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

I am looking into an opportunity with Medline for sales and can not get a straight answer on the commission structure? I have a background in running my own business so I understand the structure of paying many of my own expenses. Could some one tell me how the commission structure is calculated? How the Base and Commission works? what % are you spending for expenses (shipping, fuel, entertainment... ) How many sales divisions are there?

2. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

That is the $150,000 question. Why $150,000, that is the target number they have in mind to pay reps, and that may be on the high side. In the future the base cost of an item will not be based on the actual cost of an item, as it is portraited today. But based on what type of sales rep you are. A different base cost for General Line, one for Healthcare and one for Dr. Office reps. This way they can better control how little money you make at Medline. Earlier this year each and every rep had to e-sign a letter stating basically that Medline could do whatever they wanted to the reps anytime they wanted without any recourse from the rep.

The future for the reps at Medline is very bleak, they will tell you all the great things that are happening, but they will never tell you they have a traget in mind on how little they really want to pay you. In fact I have heard from a good source the owner wants to pay reps around $85,000.

So to answer your question about the commission structure, RUN AWAY

3. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

Top reps that built Medline will now exit. The top managers are sure to follow once they can't hit their numbers. Only johnny college grad wants to work on 100% commission and be micromanaged for 85K and he can't even sell phone service to Uncle Ted.

The company won't see the error until it is too late. Ray and Mike fought hard to keep the culture the same but it was not enough.

4. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

Every company ran by the second or third generation makes this mistake. They grow up thinking they are better than everyone else and are entitled to the hard work of others. Once they ruin the company, they sell out make a ton of money and leave all the workers high and dry. That is just they way they were raised and think it's normal.

Once Medline hit one billion is sales they thought they had it made and it has been downhill for the reps ever since.

"Let them eat cake!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!"

PS Ray and Mike let it happen don't be fooled into thinking otherwise. They made a TON on the stock they owned.

5. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

Your commission structure is based on your market, basically meaning how profitable you are able to sell items. I will not get into exactly how we calculate commission because that is proprietary to Medline employees. Bottom line, you get out of it what you put into it. There are sales reps making over $1M in commissions annually today. There are also sales reps making $50K annually....

6. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

Your commission structure is based on your GPO market, basically meaning how unprofitable corporate is able to sell items. I will not get into how we calculate commission because that is proprietary to Medline managers only. Our bottom line is that we get out of it what you put into it. We tell new reps that there is one sales reps making over $1M in commissions annually today. Most sales reps are only making $50K annually....

7. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

"Proprietary " translates to, flexible, made up, created on the fly, or what, on any given day, Sales Management needs the commission structure to be.

Look for key phrases like "house draw", and "base cost up charge". They are taxes on your income.

Unless things have changed in the post-HPG era, Sales Management is paid on gross profit growth. GP minus expenses. The Reps non-bonus income is an expense. It is in the interest of the Sales Manager to reduce the income of the Sales Rep by supporting low and no commission business that still works for Management's formula. Sales Reps are paid on base profit growth. The difference is wide.

If you have a unique situation, like if your family controls a multi-hospital chain, you can share the wealth. If not, unless you are unemployed, or under employed, stay away. If you sign up, leap as soon as you have 16 plus months of service and any success to share in an interview.

8. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

many, many years ago someone from chicago sent me a file with GP vs BP costing by accident. although there was no profit to pay the rep on this entire division it was clear that the company was making an easy 40-45% in profits. i brought it up to my manager's attention and the product manager that sent the file was fired in less than a week.

i was told if i ever mentioned it to anyone i would be terminated just like she was.

9. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

So post it on here...

10. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

I haven't worked at Medline in years... and I wouldn't post it online.

11. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

I remember when that happened back when we had the old Gateway laptops and company cars. That was even before Andy and Charlie took over.

12. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

Nightline!

13. anonymous

anonymous Guest

Does anyone have any updates they could add regarding Medline? This post is 9 years old and I'm wondering where they've landed. I am in the interview process with them now.

Here's what they've told me:
    Base $55K
    Commission 50% of item's commission to company
    Monthly/Quarterly/Annual Spiffs - up to 50%
    FT with Benefits
    Company cellphone and laptop
    Mileage reimbursement

Sounds like they've come a long way since this first posted. I just wonder what the HONEST on-target earnings are for this position now...

Anyone??

14. anonymous

anonymous Guest

Is there any update on this?
    i'm curious about this as well.

15. anonymous

anonymous Guest

I remember when they locked us in a room at a promo meeting and said.

'forget the contract you signed when you started with Medline, sign this new contract giving us the ability to change your employee contract anytime Medline wants to.' NOW SIGN OR IT GETS THE HOSE AGAIN