Should I leave pharma

Discussion in 'Cardionet' started by Anonymous, Nov 13, 2010 at 12:44 PM.

Tags: Add Tags
  1. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

Can anyone give me advice on making a decision toi leave a specialy pharma positon to join CardioNet. Pharma is an ass-whipping, and I am looking to get back to selling. Also, how strong of a company is LifeWatch compared with you guys?

2. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

Take a look at the stock price, we had an ass whipping since '09. Lifewatch is about the same. Ask any MD.

3. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

I can understand you wanting to leave pharma.... it's a joke (pretend selling) and job security is becoming non-existent in the industry. However, be very careful about joining the CRM industry, ESPECIALLY with companies like CN or LW. Yes, you will get back to tangible selling, but you will deal with nightmares on a daily basis. Not only is your job to sell and grow numbers (often w/ridiculous quotas), but you will need to hold onto your existing business, which is the major problem. Both companies have very weak infrastructures, people don't know what they're doing, patients get the runaround, the devices are problematic and you will have to constantly make excuses in order to save your accounts from leaving you. It is a very stressful job and one I recommend you not take. Good luck to you.

-Former LW rep.

4. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

I never get on here to write, but I wanted to give you an honest opinion of what is going on in this industry, because I was in your exact shoes a couple of years ago. I was in pharma for a long time, and I have been with one of the telemetry companies for a couple of years. I must say it was the best decision I have ever made. I was caught in a constant battle of fighting pharma numbers that were dated (3 months prior) and tangled in an endless web of pointless POA's and meetings...and spread sheets...and call plans.............and territory re routing....you get the picture and know what I mean. I also dealt with a certain disrespect from both the office staff and physicians, and questions of not "what does your drug do?" but "what are you bringing for lunch?".
    People from both companies will bitch about quotas, and problems with accounts....and I have been on the short end of the commission check payroll my share of times. However, I will say that those quotas and problems are my job, and though frustrating makes my weeks and days fly by. I am not here to speak ill of my competitors or my own company, but to talk about the industry. Yes, there are challenges just like with any job, but the one constant in this job, is that when something goes well you have a feeling of self worth and drive that is not evident for the most part in pharmceuticals. I will also say that I have friends that work for my competitor and both of our companies have strong and intelligent sales forces. The products with both companies are good in their own respects...but it comes down to selling, and if your not afraid of that....than it's a good move for you. Both companies have their up and downsides but so do all companies no matter what industry your in. Speaking from experience, I know we all dreaded those "holiday phone calls and annoucements", but I have not had that concern here with my company. It would be neive to say the least to think that my company will not ever do any lay offs, but I know that the worst that is going to happen is that I am going to have service/device industry at the top of my resume instead of pharma. By now, you've realized that alot of companies won't even give you a look if your a pharma rep because it is the stigma that comes with that title unfortunatly. So with the risk of being too long winded I'm going to give you the benefits of working for a telemetry company no matter which one, and hopefully it will help:
    -Knowing you made a difference for a patient EVERYDAY, and that you did SOMETHING!
    -you get to pick your car
    -good salary
    -good commission
    -open schedule
    -limited ride days with managers
    -actually selling and seing results
    -flexible hollidays
    -healthcare is moving towards a wireless platform, and thus growing industry is inevitable.

Okay, that's all I'm going to write, and I'm sorry if I misspelled anything, or was unclear.
    I wish you luck with whatever company you decide to go with, or whatever career you decide to pursue. In closing, don't believe everything you read on here because alot of it comes from angry reps, or people who are just not happy with their company. However, some of it is true and real, and it is up to you to decide what you believe. The bottom line is, that both companies are good, and the industry is looking up, and in both cases would be a step in the right direction if you chose to get into some other type of service/device industry.

Good luck!!

5. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

Signed,
    LAK

6. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

good one, I was going to write:

Signed, Blowhard

7. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

Thank you for the advice. I can tell you really did spend a significant time in pharma. You are right on with your comments. It is a big choice, and I am glad you made the right one. I hope I will too.

Thanks

8. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

It really comes down to what your motives are for wanting to get out of pharma. I was in specialty pharma for years, then with a mobile telemetry company. While in pharma, I thought that getting into devices where I could do more "selling" would make me enjoy my job more. What I found was that both seem to be the same thing under a different name. I have been asked to say things that weren't true or only tell 1/2 of the real answer, ignore what are real customer concerns, and sacrifice my family all in the name of reaching a quota that is an ever moving target. Looking over the last 8 years, I realize that the money and benefits could only force me to ignore reality for so long. I have decided to leave both industries, because no matter how much they pay, both industries have put me at odds with what true priorities in life should be. If you leave pharma, you will get more flexibility, less field rides, etc. On the flip side, you will be held accountable for as much or even more items that you have no control over. The money really isn't that different when you look at the total package. While you can earn more in salary/bonus, you have to consider the large amount of money that you could end up paying for health insurance, vehicle expenses, 401(k) matches, and possible pension vesting. If you get laid off, there isn't any severence pay like in pharma. At this point, layoffs have come with a two week paycheck and a Cobra notice saying that if you wanted to keep health insurance, kindly send $1,200 per month.

If you are your family's main source of income and benefits, you may want to take a hard look at what you would be giving up versus gaining. If you are in the position to take a little more risk and have lots of working years ahead of you, it will probably make you more marketable in the long term to get into devices, even if you don't ultimately stay with CN or LW.

Good Luck, and God bless.

9. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

I have more ride alongs now than I ever did in pharma and they are usually last minute. Worse of all is manager provides no support, just criticizes.

10. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

sounds like your manager has no idea how to manage.

11. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

Your manager sounds like my manager. What is up with the poor leadership at this company? I should have stayed in pharma.

12. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

The clowns in there buried other companies, slept with the employees and then moved to ecardio