The Industry Changed - Alcon was the last holdout

Discussion in 'Alcon' started by Anonymous, Aug 30, 2014 at 9:40 AM.

Tags: Add Tags
  1. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

For those moaning about Novartis "ruining" Alcon, you fail to see that business as we knew it in ophthalmology was over. Patients were demanding generics, doctors had given up their authority and resolve to insist on name brand drugs, and large medical groups had started to shut down access to drug reps and their samples. The good old days (60s, 70s, 80s, 90s) were over, regardless if Novartis bought Alcon or not. Alcon and ophthalmology were just one of the last holds out to get affected by Big Healthcare.

2. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

Not true. There is - and always will be - a market for genuine medicine. It requires vision, good management and strategy to get it done. The 'good for nothing' crowd that has descended upon Alcon from Novartis has none of those attributes.
    I would have engineered a management buyout of Alcon when Nestle decided to divest. Of course, it would have taken a better CEO and team (not KB) to pull it off. Alcon, as an independent company, with Cagle like management would have been extremely successful.
    As it stands now, Novartis has driven Alcon into the ground.

3. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

You're right - internally Alcon could have kept it's integrity with a meaningful long term vision and true desire to advance the cause of ophthalmology. Instead, the short term bottom line became their driving force. My comments were aimed more at the sales rep level - the old way of selling to doctors is over, and the future does not look bright. Too many uncontrollables are now influencing prescribing decisions, which has taken most of the power away from doctors. Ophthalmologists see little reason to talk to pharma sales reps any longer.

4. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

I guess the NVS took too long and paid too much for Alcon. The docs and insurance companies are much more informed now and smoke and mirrors just won't cut. This company was able to get premium prices for products while they were under patent protection. Now that many products are off patent, you will need to compete in the market based on price, quality and service. Bloated companies with too many VP's, directors, and managers that are not worth their salt will continue to loose ground. When products are truly original and under patent protection, it is possible to have a great deal of inefficiency, poor management practices and incompetence and still make a handsome profit. The gig is up guys and gals. Ever wonder why much smaller companies with far fewer employees are out performing you?? If you wonder why this is so, then you are in even worse shape than you even realize. The reasons for the mess was perfectly clear to many of us who choose to walk out the door. If you have a leadership position in this company, take a look in the mirror. Since looking in the mirror would be too simple, I suppose it is time to have countless meetings to select a high powered consulting firm and pay a few million dollars so they can tell you what you must likely know already. After squandering the share holders money, you can have an off site meeting and then roll out some lame program with a few new buzz words. Who knows, you might get lucky and have some success despite mismanaging what has been entrusted to you.

5. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

Spot on. However, I would add that mis-management and R&D originality and output are not totally independent of one another as your post seems to imply. True, you can make a profit for a while with mis-management, but you go downhill eventually. On the other hand, you can invent new therapies on an ongoing basis - this, however, requires at least hands-off, if not good management.
    Alcon is dead because of the NVS buffoons who have descended upon it.