What are some options when I lose my company car?

Discussion in 'Merck' started by Anonymous, Jun 12, 2014 at 9:57 PM.

Tags: Add Tags
  1. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

I know I am toast on the 23rd and will lose my car. My Merck Mobile is my only car. What are my options for transit?

2. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

Feet. My only option without a job.

3. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

You have the option to buy the company car if it is over a year old. Check Kelly blue book to compare used car prices. kbb.com - put in the make, model, year and mileage.

Good luck.

4. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

If it sounds like the bolts are getting loose......pass.
    Most low end cars like we drive are not designed to last that long.......

I would rather rent a car for special need days (interviews).......my sneakers, bus pass and a sometimes cab will do until a job comes along!

PS.......cost of a car ain't cheap!

5. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

6. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

Anyone know the Merck discount code so I can rent a POS from crappy Enterprise

7. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

The Fusion is a pretty good car. How many miles can it reasonably take?

8. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

maybe the new ones are pretty good but mine is never going to get another 3 years....

9. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

Don't forget Priceline.com can get you a decent price for a day or a week.

10. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

If you have the option to buy the company car, and you have taken good care of it, then give that option some serious consideration. You will usually get a better deal than just about anywhere else, and you already know the car, so no surprises.

Modern cars are good for way over 100,000 miles - if you take care of them. Read the manual, and perform services as required. If you want peace of mind, pay a trusted mechanic to look the car over first.

After a house, a car is the most expensive thing most people ever buy. In most areas, it is a necessity. If you live in a dense urban area with lots of mass transit, you might forgo the car and use mass transit, and only rent a car when really needed. Be prepared to sit next to a smelly bum on the bus or train with non working a/c in the Summer, if you go this route.

Other options are leasing (if you do not drive too many miles a year - read the contract fine print!) or buying another used car that is priced lower (meaning smaller, older, or with more miles) than the company car.

Good luck (from a former Merkie who left a few months ago)

11. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

Moped.

12. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

Has anyone used a car sharing program like Zip Car or Enterprise Car Share?

What about Uber? Or Lyft?

13. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

What the fuck kind of question is this???!! What the hell did you do before getting this god forsaken job?
    Go buy another car, bike, or here's a thought..walk! This kind of question comes from the same type idiot that this whole industry has employed for the last couple of years.
    Good luck in the future junior..your going to need it.

14. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

It's not a bad question. I've had a Merck company car for the past 10 years, and it is my only car.

15. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

No I gotta agree with poster # 13. This is the kinda question that comes from a Merckie.

" I drove the car mommy & daddy gave me in college, the I went to the Merck bubble with that car and I'm now 35 and if I get laid off and they take my car whatever will I do?"

Losing your merckmobile is the least of your problems. You will end up back with mommy & daddy, only they won't be so thrilled this time, scrambling for interviews, health insurance, money....party over.

16. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

It's an issue many of us are facing! If you live in a major city,look for car sharing programs that let you rent a car for a couple hours to go to an interview.

17. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

I've used Zip car before when I was between pharma jobs. I think they are in lots of major cities. It's a good alternative to buying a car.

18. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

If you somehow manage to stay in the industry you'll most likely end up in contract. Most ( not all) contracts don't offer a company car. Make a smart purchase.

19. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

OP is kinda of sad question.. really a grown adult can't figure this out..?

20. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

Bicycles are becoming more accepted as a means of transportation including commuting.