AZ or Lilly for Diabetes?!

Discussion in 'AstraZeneca' started by Anonymous, Aug 28, 2014 at 9:20 PM.

Tags: Add Tags
  1. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

Interviewed for Diabetes division for both companies. Both managers pushing me forward for the position! Curious to know which company is best to go with? I've only been provided salary ranges and not a concrete answer on target goal bonus, but does anyone have any info on the main differences with the two companies?

2. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

Do your own research you lazy excuse for a sales rep! AZ's diabetic reps run into each other in the same offices on a daily basis! There are WAY too many reps selling AZ's mediocre drugs! Hope that answers your question.

3. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

Krispy Kreme for diabetes.

4. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

Lilly is a much better company. Have had experience with both and lilly is much better

5. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

The simple fact that one would ask a question like that on a message board is a perfect example of what has gone wrong with pharmaceutical sales. Once a respected, challenging, fun, and demanding profession has spiraled into nothing more than a well paying stressful cesspool of backstabbing "sales" people. Don't get me wrong there are still good sales people for BOTH companies but this all started to crumble when you had big tittied recent college grads basing their education and social schedules on becoming "a pharmaceutical sales rep". (See The Bachelor)

So which company--- AZ is going to get sold, their diabetes division is very new and the products they sell are not exactly earth shattering products. Always look past the drugs alone- what do they have for support within the disease state. AZ----- Not much. They sell products but really don't have the history nor the pipeline of blockbusters for diabetes. That being said- Lilly doesn't either. They do have history- and are learning from their past mistakes i.e. backing away from the diabetes franchise in the early 2000's to support a compound that was losing patent in Prozac. This "cocky" attitude cost them dearly in their flagship insulin market when Novo and Sanofi took a huge percentage of the pie JUST in the US.

Ask a provider this question "what company comes to mind when you hear type 1 or type 2 diabetes?" After they answer Novo (not a Novo employee here), Lilly will most likely be a close second. You will not likely hear AZ from any of their mouths.

So who to choose--- The business is not like it once was. The positions are NOT sales but merely a marketing job combined with a UPS driver only in a business suit. You will not negotiate with doctors, maybe a receptionist or nurse on the restaurant you will choose for lunch that you must provide in order to recite your corp message and get your boxes checked. Look at the benefits, look at the pay, look at the potential for advancement, and look at your goals.

6. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

Poster #2 mentioned Novo, but left out Sanofi, which has the #1 selling diabetes drug in the world (Lantus).

BTW, AZ's Farxiga has too many safety issues.

Other companies for diabetes: GSK and J&J

But if you are deciding between Lilly and AZ, go with Lilly.

Top choice would be to work for Novo.

7. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

Neither.
    Lilly is slightly better though.
    Do yourself a favor and find a smaller company that actually treats employees with more respect.

8. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

Don't know about Lilly, but one thing I do know is that it's sooo easy to "hide" in AZ's diabetic division, because there are so many of us. Working short days is also amazingly easy at AZ! I would pick AZ, hands down.

9. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

Thanks for all the feedback! Both have solid products and I did some research.. Pfizer may place another offer by end of the year and it seems there are alot of reps for the diabetes division w AZ. Lilly will prob downsize a yr or so down the road. I'll push sales and work hard regardless where I am, but I'm more concerned with management styles as I'm not good with companies who micromanage and expect alot of work/call plans outside of field work. That's why I'm leaving my current now bc of manager. I guess whichever has alot less micromanaging less speaker programs required and less paperwork outside of field work will be the one I go with..Thanks again!

10. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

How amazingly uninformed your comment is. Wow. You really picked Novo as the top diabetes company to work for? They may be the "diabetes company", but they are an awful company to work for and are clueless overall esp in the US. Awful culture too. Get a f*cking clue.

11. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

good luck with that.both are extreme micro management companies. Lilly's pillars just provide a way for management to choose their favorites and play games with performance management. AZ is check the box crazy over unrealistic call plans, program requirements, and call metrics.I would also include analyzing the size of each territory, each individual manager, and pay scale. Some AZ territories are ridiculously large.

12. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

In fact Novo sent their entire sales force with spouses to their headquarters in Sweden or Switzerland, wherever they are headquarted. This was done in waves during the summer.

13. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

The four major diabetes classes are DPP4, SGL2, GLP, and insulin. AZ is the only one with three and working on the fourth. Pipeline and combos of these three are promising. My bet would be AZ. If Lilly doesn't get bought, they will cut. If Pfizer buys AZ, no worries. They don't have a diabetes division. May cut some, but probably not a lot. Contract first.

14. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

Lilly will soon have all 4- plus they have their own basal insulin coming out soon. Not only will they have insulin but every type of insulin