Retirement?

Discussion in 'AstraZeneca' started by Anonymous, Aug 30, 2014 at 8:14 PM.

Tags: Add Tags
  1. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

Market highs? As long as the economy continues to grow, even modestly, stock market will continue up over long term.

2. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

If you had gone "all in" in 2008, you would be back to about even today. That's 6 years of zero return and lots of indigestion the whole time. Who knows if you would have stayed the course. I believe the average investor would have panicked after or during the '08 bear market when he saw his life savings cut in 1/2.

The adage is buy low and sell high. Right now, the market is high. Too high. If you're willing to let it ride for 20 years, maybe you'll be ok. If you go to an investment advisor, he knows about as much as everybody else. No one knows what is going to happen. He has an agenda that is not the same as yours.

With the US debt at astronomical levels, my advice is to pay off all of your debt NOW. Buy something that has intrinsic value, not paper assets. For all you know the US government will impose a huge tax on your 401-k one day, or confiscate it and substitute an IOU (government bond).

You claim past is prologue in the markets. In the past -- World History -- every single paper (fiat) currency has collapsed. Every single time, according to what I've heard.

3. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

Having gotten gobbled by Pfizer as a Parke Davis rep, you will find they will keep your Pension Plan in tact. You will be known as "Legacy AstraZeneca" and your Pension will be under the AZ plan.

4. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

SHIT!!! Fuck!!!! Crap and double crap!!!!

5. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

Indeed, the ones who were legacy Zeneca with lump sum pension payouts and stock options who got out and invested it all in the market in 08 or 09 were the most lucky of the lucky.
    I am worried about the pension still being there for me and wonder if I missed the opportunity to self identify in 08 or 09 now that the market has hit all time highs.

6. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

Yep..this is me. Zeneca retirement plan self ID'ed in 2009 and literally sailed into the sunset. My financial advisor made some great moves and all is well financially. Please keep in mind when retiring you need to have a more conservative portfolio. Overall...I'm happy. I still come to this website as I have many many friends with the company. I'm sure the last few years have been rough and I hope you all come through OK. Like everything else in life things change and I can say with certainty...pharma sales has changed for the very worst. At one time this job was the most coveted sales position around. Now it's a shell of its former self and one not respected by other industries.

7. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

It isn't just the PSS job that has lost respect and perceived value. It extends to the DM, RD, and even into Pharma marketing and support roles. Pharma is seen as an antiquated model supported by antiquated thinking, strategy and tactics and anyone working her carries the same labels. The world is changing at the speed of light and Pharma is like the phonograph and our people love to hear the old sounds of scratched 78s.

8. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

So reading this on retirement. I have 18 years with company... and 50 years old. I have approximately $850,000 in retirement (most AZ- 401K) and some IRA plus pension. No debt. Hoping I can make it to 55 with AZ. How are others with similar years of service?

9. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

While I never owned any 78's (I'm not that old!), I do have 45's, and do enjoy pulling them out from time to time. True, the world is a very different place, but not necessarily for the better. I rarely eat at fast food places, but did go to McDonalds yesterday. So many more choices today than in the 70's/80's...but quality much worse, and service horrendous (took forever to get my so called "fast food"). Overall, we're paying so much more for so much less...everywhere....restaurants, grocery stores, utilities...don't even get me started on cable...such a ripoff...I miss the days of free TV with excellent reception....who needs a gazillion channels anyway? And every kid having a smartphone...no one talks to each other anymore...everyone's head is buried checking their e-mail, tweets, etc. Kids are not kids today.

But I ramble...back to pharma: No longer a stable place for anyone. Downsizings everywhere, companies transitioning to CSO reps...everything very short term...just a merry go round. Sad that it ended up like this.

10. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

What is the earliest age you can retire from AZ

11. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

Even a year severance will not help much?!!

You're so timid and afraid. A year to get back on your feet is plenty. If you've been here 17 years you probably have a nice 401-k balance. You can probably eliminate all of your debt.

Your kids can borrow for college, you can get through this, there is life after pharma.

12. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

30 at Upjohn/pharmacia and bought out in 2002. Lumped pension to IRA rollover and savings plan to 401k. Ultimately became Pfizer legacy for health benefits. Got a professional to manage every from estate planning to investment for 1.25 of assets. Today worth 2.5 mil.
    Soon went back to work and current corp 401k worth is 600k with target date retirement fund for 2015 that has a 10 year annualized growth of 6.85. Now an almost impossible fantasy in any industry.

Almost everything in life is Position and timing

13. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

You were disciplined, for sure, but also very lucky. Few can say they got 30 straight years in pharma sales at one company, and then to accumulate an additional 600k at a second gig

.Your "timing" was starting in this industry in the early 80's, and then lasting as long as you did. You are right, achieving what you did would be impossible today

14. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

Take it with a grain of salt. The poster is anonymous and self aggrandizing, writing about his / her millions and growing.

Also writing about 6.85 annual growth rate when today you can borrow at 2%. He / she / it is full of shit. Wake up.

15. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

Why not just look up the rate of annualized return from any of the target date retirement funds over the last 10 years. You say "shit" but you know nothing, nothing.

This string talks about money and retirement, good and bad. I have a feeling you're just a bit jealous. I said "position and timing" and I benefited from both. I'm not apologizing for it.

16. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

Those that retired at the end of 08 and 09 have benefited the most if they invested it wisely.
    If you invested 1 million at the end of 08 then you would have 3 million 6 years later. That is not a bad return. During this recession those that had money in the stock market are the only ones that have gotten significantly richer.

17. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

I don't know if a retiree over 55 would put all their money in a fund so aggressive that it would triple in 6 years. Retirement saving is all about asset allocation. The closer you get to retirement the more conservative the allocation. 99.9% of financial advisors will tell you that. But not Madoff or any of the crooks on that TV show "American Greed"

If I was 21 again I'd go most aggressive and not bother to look at the fund value for 15-20 years. I'd probably have 4-5 times as much. Did not know better in the 70's.

18. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

I started saving at 30 and did just that. I lost it all twice. Never did it again.

19. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

If you put it in index funds starting in 1990 you would have done very well.

20. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

Were you buying off the pink sheets? Average S&P annualized return since forever is almost 10%.