Specialty Sales Rep-Rheumatology

Discussion in 'Centocor Ortho Biotech' started by Anonymous, Jan 26, 2011 at 7:06 PM.

Tags: Add Tags
  1. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

Can someone give me info on salary, incentive, security and state of this division for COB? Please spare me the sarcasim, thanks.

2. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

I'm considering interviewing for a position within centocor and wanted to get an idea of exactly which divisions are copromoting and working at the hospitals. I'm in a pod setup and hate it. Seems like the jnj pharma and biotech divisions are blending which is a shame because I always thought centocor reps had their own territories and worked alone. Any information would be helpful. Thanks.

3. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

You can apply through Quintile for an RA position with Centocor.

4. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

Does that mean that centocor isn't hiring anymore? I competed against centocor and my company's laying off. I don't want to work for a contract company after having 8 years of solid biotech sales experience.

5. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

learn to read. apply THRU quintiles. they also recruit. and get off your high horse. contracting or whatever you want to call it is the same as any other job. a job.

6. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

++ Base is $92k to $108K for new hires with 5+ years of industry sales. If you have biotech experience you are at a base starting at $105k - $117k. The bonus systems is reworked annually so not even management can figure it out. This year is a 95% to goal before you get paid one dollar. You should know that with the increased competition 1/2 of the Rheum group will be collecting lint for a bonus this year. The one that have over 100% will make about $28k. The top 10% will make about $45k in bonus. Two people will make over $60k and they will mention that until you want to slit your wrists.
    ++ There is no security at COBI. At present JnJ is placing the career keeper employees into COBI. There appears to be a substantial amount of over-hires. I would presume at some point in the next few years this group will have pushed out everyone else and very few remain from the original Centocor days. They had been displaced or harassed into leaving by the JnJ placed managers in the merger two years ago (mostly harassed). This pattern is likely to continue for some time. If you are from the outside you will be without a friend and an enemy to all.
    ++ COBI continues to be the JnJ rock. At this point in time it is the center of the Pharma Group. Gutting of this division and the redistribution of the pipeline and assets has already begun. Any sales growth is down played to pay less bonus.
    ++ The overall take is this:
    If you need a job take this one. If your job is stable stay put. If you want a career with JnJ, build a time machine and go back 30 years ago. Those days are over. If management likes you somehow you will do well. If management overlooks you run. Your number will be placed in a hat and at some point in the future it will be drawn and you will be out of a job. This is a beauty contest not a real company.
    ----- This is a real world view and one I believe is shared by 80+% of the current sales group and 100% by those who have left already.

7. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

Wow. You are dead on. One by one we (the legacy, though I hate that term) will be forced out, fired, etc.

8. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

I hear that if you are losing market share to Orencia you are a goner. They have you under a microscope. And why shouldn't they? Have fun waitressing. That's what you were meant to be.

9. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

I am currently with a large pharma company which could have layoffs at any time. I am thinking of jumping ship because here the incentive is a joke and despite my Specialty experience my salary is a joke. First, I'm wondering if they will even hire from pharma with just a couple years specialty experience and secondly will they have layoffs? If so what kind of package do they offer. The only reason I've stayed here is because if I get laid off I get about 30+ weeks. Should I stay put or take a look?

10. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

You should stay where you are. The purpose of the expansion is one of "over hiring" of which JnJ wrote the book. This allows the later selective downsize that saves them on pension. If you are between 45 and 55 you are dead. That is a fact. if you are 30 you could give it a shot. I would still stay there if you are looking at 30 weeks pay. You will get 60 days including days to meet to turn over your projects. These are not nice people here. As they say "the grass is not always greener on the other side of the employment highway".

11. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

I agree. It's risky to leave a stable position these days. Every 2 years jnj realign territories, selectively targets people they want out and downsizes. Newest hires rarely make it through layoffs.

12. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

Thanks for the feedback. I saw the poster above with salary info. If I'm a rep with 9 years total sales, 6 pc and 3 specialty what kind of salary would you expect them to offer? Obviously I've only worked in big pharma and never went the biotech route. I've done my homework but I want to see if it matches up. Also incentive? Company car or allowance. Damn thsi economy stinks.......no leverage for the employee

13. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

$110k-$115K would be your base.

14. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

The expansion of the IS role has been put on hold pending the outcome of the Simponi auto-injector failure. It appears COBI will be re-engineering the Injector which will require the FDA final approval. We are looking at 6-9 months if we are lucky. That means we will be selling the pre-filled from now until they kill us off. Life as an IS sucks! I hope somebody besides me gets fired this time for this mistake. And you know they won't adjust my goals either. This sucks!!

15. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

What is the training like at COBI? How much home study versus home office? Thanks.

16. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

Sorry, Honey. That won't happen. They already know what a faker of a rep you are, now that they've seen how Orencia is just eating your lunch, and what makes it worse is that you are the one who paid for the lunch to be delivered to your big doctor's office. And now you want to blame someone else for the fact that you can't move Simponi? You have some learning to do, girl.

17. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

Is there a hiring freeze for these positions or did I just not get a call back.

18. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

I was wondering the same thing. Are they still hiring contract reps for Rheum??????

19. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

You are correct. They are hiring contract reps through Quintiles. If you are interested, it might last about 6-9 months. These contract reps will have zero accountability because you can't track their sales. If there is a managed care win, how will you know if the sales increased because of the contract reps, or because of the managed care change?

20. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

In terms of salary I am surprised. I hear Quintiles is paying contract reps $75K base with a potential of earning $35K in bonus. They get no car, no gas card and are paid on mileage alone. Moreover, they have ridiculously large territories to cover. If their sales cannot be tracked then how are they to be paid bonus?

Anyone else know about the contract positions?