Attire question please

Discussion in 'GlaxoSmithKline' started by Anonymous, Aug 26, 2014 at 9:53 PM.

Tags: Add Tags
  1. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

very curious since retired and left long ago--we wore suits (never even a blazer and tie) and ladies wore skirt suits--never even pant suits---I am sure things have changed --I see even in banking etc biz casual even in offices golf shirts and khakis--is this pharma now?? I haven't seen a drug rep in a decade--in fact, when I got into medical sales with J&J my VP lectured me about my suit being "medium grey" not charcoal----strictly solid navy or char suits with button down oxfords and rep or foulard very very conservative ties--even mostly lace-up wingtips or captoes only in black--then later black tassel loafs were accepted---what is it like now? golf shirts?? no ties with open collar shirts w/a blazer??? just curious
    the only place I see suits are in law firms or politics

2. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

My attire these days.......running shoes, white socks and just a silky wrapper fer muh' ball bag!

3. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

It depends on the company. My preference is to dress like the doctors, shirt and tie, dress loafers and NO suit or jacket. To dress and "put on airs" implies that you consider yourself better them, not a good idea.

4. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

Thanks--at least you aren't like the d*ou**e above you! (a very angry sarcastic rep who hates his job and life - obviously! feel sorry for him) That is a wise approach you take. We could not even take our suit coat off if it were 100+ degrees - longer ago that I just realized! I am 58 and retired when 48--still wore suits then--some may have pushed it w/a navy blazer and grey wool trousers but never khakis with a blazer--was not allowed..No pharma reps were without suits or at the very least a blazer--there were some HOT DAYS!!

5. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

!
    PS-----------I take part of that back---guys in Florida went out in just a shirt and tie--no reps in the Midwest were allowed unless it was a pharmacy--old school! we had to callof 4 pharmacies per day--then in Medical instrumentation sales nothing but suits---even in sales meetings! suits all day in a chair during regional and natl mtgs

6. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

Except for casual Friday's. Then I wear a loin cloth with sandals. The ladies dig it!

7. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

Male reps wear dress shirt, tie, dress pants, and preferred suit if not too warm.

8. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

WOW- that means your manager must be wearing just a shirt & tie with you-amazing--sounds comfortable and a HUGE money saver---my dry cleaning bills were pretty high--wore nice suits to make up for my IQ level!! (ha ha--sort of true as I moved up) I had 1200.00 navy suits by H Freeman way back--they are great but very expensive and need precision cleaning and pressing at the best cleaner in town--they are around 1800.00 now--still have my 15 yr old ones in great shape-lucky
    you guys also have it made cause you buy those shirts sprayed with plastic so you don't sent them to the cleaners for laundering and pressing--I cannot wear those shirts since I am old school and don't believe in plastic sprayed cotton--too hot in summer & cold in winter--just a heads up--they even fuse and line the cuffs and collars with plastic between the cotton even at Brooks Bros now--90% of their shirt sales--I would not wear those for free---Mercer Bros in Boston is the last remaining shirt you can get that is high quality for a beefy oxford----or any material really---145.00 for their basic button down is worth every penny-----------plastic sprayed shirts?? come on----------plus------the "spary treatment" wears off in 20-25 washings then you are ironing them at home (never for me) or sending them out!
    I will send you all a bill in 30 days---------sold menswear during college at J Press in Boston

9. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

Attire has changed dramatically with women. Some days I can't tell if my fellow female reps are going to dance on a pole at lunch or do the ho stroll when they get off work. It is a disgrace. I don't wear suits everyday but I always have on very conservative and professional attire. I am also leading my region in lag measures which is code for prescription data for new launch products. You don't have to show your goodies to sell and it is sad that most of the female reps today think they have to

10. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

agree-you sound like a nice pro---you will do well ----the last femal rep I saw when I was already out on disability then retired--was in my FP's office and I promise this--she had some literature just to pass to the gal at the window & she had a miniskirt on--8" heels and sunglasses on top of her head---main issue I had was pouring i that is was thunder storming day! pouring at that very moment---I had a "gut feeling" the ladies behind the glass really really don't care much for that "approach"

11. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

To post #10. Ah, memories! About 7-8 years ago my territory had one of those pole dancer teammates. I witnessed her one warm summer day in a new outfit, which I confronted her about and then went to my manager. It was a tube skirt, which is a perfect body-hugger tank top t-shirt which comes down to a little above mid thigh. Her body was a real 10 to boot. Now, under different circumstances I would have very much appreciated this visual wonder, but as an employee of the same company it was very alarming to those of us trying to make a career of this. She lasted a total of 2 years, but like many others the damage inflicted was permanent and is one of many reasons why Pharma reps have fallen from being respected and trusted.

12. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

Here's the current rundown for attire:

A guy in a full suit and tie regardless of brand = Pharma rep 120k at best + company car blah blah blah. You rarely see them in hospitals anymore because they are not necessary and the systems have caught on. If you want to find a bunch of them look for the closest coffee shop with WiFi so they can pretend to work and keep their trackers updated.

A guy in business casual with no tie but still a sportcoat = commodity device rep when he has an important appointment. Think J n J, Olympus, Applied (haha), Covidien etc. Maybe 150k on a good year with car but the pension could go away at the next takeover. They'll get laid off or quota will be raised next year anyway. Call it a decent living but always looking over their shoulder.

A guy in simple dress pants with a golf shirt = Independent distributor (it's coming back this way) = you never know. Could be making 2M a year and employing subs but this method has a lot of hiring and firing headaches. Could be on his own and making 240k. The difference nowadays is the hospital calls HIM instead of the other way around. On occasion you may see this guy wearing one of his two Hickey Freeman's for a meeting with an IDN or CFO.

13. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

Unless you a highly paid corporate executive, athlete, movie star, etc (all with very high incomes), you would be stupid to be buying Bespoke (custom) suits, Alden shoes, etc. You are sending the wrong message to your customers by letting them know you are overpaid and/or not a good steward of money, and that reflects poorly on you and your company. There are plenty of high quality brands at much lower prices. The fit of a suit can vary significantly by brand. Find one that works best for you and then have it altered with the finishing touches.

14. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

wrong-better to overdress than underdress

15. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

You are not too bright, are you. Clearly you are wrong. People, including docs, think that meds are overpriced. Then you come walking in the door wearing clothes that indicate your wardrobe budget is more than what some people make in a year. The only conclusion is that you are significantly overpaid and that part of the reason meds are too high priced is due to salespeople like you.

Beyond that, you are just stupid with money. You are spending way too much of your disposable income on clothes, when there are much better alternatives for less money. It is no wonder that people have inadequate savings when they waste money on indulgences such as this.

16. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

Hilarious. Are you my financial planner?

17. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

Clearly, you are incorrect and not my financial planner.

18. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

Sorry, but the "shoe" fits.