401k Loan & Resignation

Discussion in 'Financial Forum' started by Anonymous, Aug 14, 2011 at 7:03 AM.

Tags: Add Tags
  1. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

Does anyone have recommendations for paying back a 401k loan if you resign from your company? Do you just take a hit, and pay the taxes on it? Or if not enough cash, borrow from home equity loan to pay it off before resigning?

I have limited time to decide so please spare the comments about never borrowing from your 401k. I viewed it as a positive because the interest I was paying went right back into my 401k. In essence, I was borrowing from myself. Still learned a valuable lesson since I need to come up with cash quickly.

2. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

I'd pay it back if I could ... you're talking as much as a 45% tax bite (plus state taxes if applicable), which includes the 10% penalty tax rate. Unless your employer plan allows you to continue to pay the loan after you resign (and I'm not sure if any plans allow that), trying to come up with the cash to pay off the loan would be best.

Otherwise, I'd borrow to cover the loan (either home equity or unsecured loan, if possible).

3. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

That's a lot in taxes..... too much. I don't think my company will allow me to continue paying it back since it comes directly out of my paycheck. Guess it's cash from my savings plus borrowing or only the latter.

Thank You!

4. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

You need to pay in full within ~30 days of resignation or termination. The tax hit is huge so pay up. Do not take a home equity loan...that is stupid.

5. Pale Horse

Pale Horse Guest

You didn't read the rules?

6. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

Sell your soul.

7. puru rama

puru rama new user

Some might argue that's a good thing. A bank loan would still require monthly payments even though she's unemployed. But if she thought it wise, she always could have taken an early 401(k) distribution, at her discretion, and not have it forced on her.

Hope that your daughter finds a great new job quickly and that figuring her taxes isn't too complicated!

8. Lina Merlina

Lina Merlina Guest

Once we paid our bond we were staring at our empty house wandering how we were going to pay for all our furniture. I contacted the team at Finance Now call/whatsApp at +1 4313007649 and from there on in we got incredible service and wonderful payment plans. So thanks Finance Now for helping a young happy couple get started.