Re-leveling

Discussion in 'Amgen' started by Anonymous, Oct 25, 2014 at 2:53 AM.

Tags: Add Tags
  1. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

Does anyone know when the next set of re-leveling starts? I understand that some people get a choice between re level and a package, and that they have until Oct 31 to decide. But I also heard that a lot of people are just going to be told they are getting demotions and pay cuts and will not be given any choice. Anyone know when that is supposed to happen? And what levels? Heard mostly 6's and 7's??? Also heard the pay cuts are pretty deep.

2. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

I Went from an ED to senior manager! I quit instead of taking a slap on the face.

3. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

Yes those are the levels that will be deeply cut. Folks will be offered lower pay or take the package.

4. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

The releveling is cruel. You get promoted into a position and salary to only later lose it. I feel bad for anyone affected. It's better than losing your job, but the morale of anyone releveled is bound to be in the dumps.

5. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

I was re-leveled in 2009. The extremely challenging aspect is:

1. If not carefully constructed you have to explain why you were demoted in interviews?

2. You are somewhat stuck in moving back up to previous title and income per qualifications at
    at another company.

3. This makes leaving the company harder as your "professional brand" has been diminished.

4. You come to work feeling like a failure and living a lesser lifestyle while the executives
    party like it's 1999. You see it - You feel it.

5. Being re-leveled barely exceeds the benefits of caring a cardboard box to the parking lot
    while bawling uncontrollably .

6. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

Not all promotions were achieved through hard and good work.
    Some were achieved by back stabbing colleagues, kissing butts, etc...
    Otherss were blazing fast and definitely more the result of whom one knew higher up
    and how protected he was

Hence when all is said and done, there is re-leveling and re-leveling and some of those may actually be a good thing in terms of an abstract sense of "justice".

7. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

At AML all promotion were only giving to those in Esteban circle of friends. Most of them got promotion in record time. It is going to be interesting to see how many of them get re-level.

8. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

That's terrible to hear! I didn't expect releveling to include 2 steps down! But good for you that you quit. There are many companies out there who will value and respect you far more than Amgen.

9. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

Is that the term now...re-leveling? Man, downsized, right-sized, outsourced...all the same junk. As Rodney said, look out for #1, and try not to step in #2.

10. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

Which is why I left Amgen - I couldn't stand on the shoulders of my team and take credit for their hard work and sacrifice just to get a promotion. To move forward at Amgen I was expected to turn into a the type of leader that I abhor. So I left for greener pastures and have no regrets.

11. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

I was releveled last week along with some other coworkers. I was a level 5 exempt which I have been for 10 years to a level 4 hourly. I have until 10/29 to accept or take the package. Didn't take a pay cut like other co-workers did but I will feel it in my bonus and stock in 2015. Been with the company for 17 years.

Its pretty frustrating to see co-workers who I have trained and managed in the past at a higher level than I am after the relevel because they weren’t effected or their group didn’t go through it yet. I kinda feel like my co-workers and I are the only ones. I havent heard much bitching about the relevel from anyone else.

Not sure what to do, ride it out and keep my eyes open for other oppurtunities,or quit. Their isnt much oppurtunity now and not sure how it will look after the dust settles. I feel like I have taken 10 steps back in my career. Not trying to be the next big wig but pride myself in hard work and doing what is required of me to get to the next level.

Whats even more frustrating is that in the past week since the layoffs and relevles, we have received 2 notifications for 2 new hires within our group. I guess they shaved money off all our salaries to help pay for the 2 new hires. Wait new hires... the company just layed 300 people off and they are hiring??? WTF....?

12. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

HHAHAA LOSER!!!

Go team Onyx Go!!!

13. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

Sorry to read this, man. What org are you in? Or who's the EVP that your organization reports to?

14. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

You obviously weren't offered a package? After 17 years you should've been. If you didnt' take it..can you re evaulate that decision with HR? What a horrible story...ego crushing...but if you can't take the package...just use your old title and apply for new jobs...no company is allowed to give details of your position or etc..only can say you worked there by law....so you were an ED....put that as last job on resume and move on.

15. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

So How did they explain the new hires? I see tons of jobs being advertised for Amgen! WTF....so weird.

16. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

Google Jack Welch or "neutron Jack." We'll keep hiring new talent all the time, and also shaving the bottom 5-10% every year: Wall Street loves it, and it also keeps you little people from becoming too complacent. A little fear will make you work harder for me!

Nothing personal, but as you know, my compensation is tied to the stock price. So, screw science, screw patients, screw you, all we care about is short-term stock price appreciation. That's the new "Amgen values." Who said being a master of the universe was easy? It's hard and you should have more empathy.

BB

17. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

If you were in safety, you're rank is still too high after the releveling. Else, I sympathize.

18. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

a quote from another thread -staffing changes <quote>"Think about it:
    1. You cost Amgen more in health insurance
    2. Your salary is probably more than most people at your level
    3. You have way more stocks than Amgen wants you to have
    4. You accrue more vacation than most people
    5. You have the old school Amgen entitlement mentality. Something Amgen wants to eradicate.
    6. Amgen is most likely not getting too many new ideas from you.

Not all may be true in your specific situation, but it's not looking good. If you have already passed on VTP, may be best to hold. Cos involuntary and voluntary RIF = same package."
    </quote>
    Not to make light of the pain anyone facing leveling would be in, I can say in R&D there has been over the years excessive promotion to ED/Dir and other levels. Some seem to see it as their right for being around so long. However with past restructuring and other reasons, there are individuals with such titles who do not carry responsibilities justifying that position anymore (if ever). There are many examples of directors with very few and only lower level reports. You won't see directors at other companies having just a few RA's reporting directly or maybe a couple of Principal S who themselves only have a few RA's. But I've seen a lot of this. Even a case with an ED with just a couple if Dir's who only had a couple of ps below them. It may be that you ONCE had multiple levels below and a wide organization but now running a lab or small team shouldn't make you a director or above. This is perhaps one need being addressed in the AFP that I can strongly agree with.

19. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

No all those New hire jobs are just for the lower paid contract workers. Cheap labor for Amgen! I feel sorry for the contractors. No hope here and no direction. Just temp boring work to do. Now is not a good time for anyone, whether direct employee or contractor to join us!!!

20. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

Here, here!