Death of the Pharmaceutical Rep!

Discussion in 'Pfizer' started by Anonymous, Jan 4, 2013 at 10:04 AM.

Tags: Add Tags
  1. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

There once was an industry mighty and great, where the reps were respected, appreciated, and pretty much first-rate!

But idiotic management and greedy shareholders decided to release the masses; and the reps became nothing more than Big, pains in the asses!

Then came the scandals, lay-offs, and CIA agreements for use of off-label words. Now reps are nothing more than dried up, white colored, turds!!

R.I.P.
    Pharmaceutical Sales Representative
    1999-2013

2. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

R.I.P. Bitter, Jealous Person

Hired in 1999? Don't you think that the folks that were already on payroll before you felt the same way? PFE didn't become the biggest pharma company in the world by not expanding, merging, taking over, marketing, and yes.....hiring new people when appropriate. This goes for your sorry ass too, back in '99. The idiotic management that you refer to is also responsible for ballooning your initial salary of 35K plus bonus, to probably somewhere in the neighborhood of the 120K+ that it is today. You can also hate them for the 4+ weeks vaca you have enjoyed over the years, the great benefits, flexible work schedule to make it to all of your family events. Yes, it hasn't been perfect, but it has been a heck of a lot better than it could have been. Management has made plenty of dumb moves over the years. If you really want to show them that you are pissed off.....don't accept the near year of pay you have coming to you. That will show them!

3. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

There once was career you could count on for life. However, with today's challenges we get cut with a knife.
    who would have thunk we were headed this way?
    OOPS with our ship in position and ready to sail, look out profession for the contract sale.
    It is over,its over, one can say, it will never be the same on any given day.
    Look elsewhere my friends and hope and pray that you find another job with half the pay.
    Learn from this lesson and you will see, one cannot succeed on a basic college degree.

Tell your kids to specialize in something so they don't have to go through this EVER!

4. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

You are so right. 3-5 years - Most everyone will be contract sales making $50k a year. Many $100k year employees will take these jobs because they will have no choice. Limited access, only talking on PI, minimum after hours programs. Anyone can do this job.

So what will you do if Pfizer cuts you and a contract company offers you the same position at 50% of your salary? Do you take it? Where else are you going to work with a basic State school 4 year degree?

It's over! Maybe not today but in the near future and many are happy they did not get cut this time. They will not change their routine and place their future on hope.

5. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

Not sure OP is really bitter, but maybe thankful to be out of an industry that once was. The things that were said are true, and apply to all pharma companies; not just Pfizer. Much more to life than a pharma job, or any job for that matter....just saying! Carpe Diem!

6. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

While I was reading your post, I immediately thought what if you have been one of these displaced people who received a call telling them they were no longer needed. Perhaps you might be a little more sensitive to the feelings of others who have gotten that call. No one should ever apologize or feel bad for the salary that Pfizer has paid you. Perhaps you should be the one who refuses any further salary increases. I don't think so. Pfizer was once a gdreat company that was respected. That no longer exists. They took Warner-Lambert(Parke-Davis),Pharmacia, Wyeth, and King and threw them by the wayside. Why, because they were unable to produce any major products they poured billions of dollars into. Pfizer set the standard amony all pharmaceutical companies in doing this. What other major company has ruthlessly taken this number of companies in order get products they could not produce. Thousands of representatives and their families were suddently tossed by the wayside all because of the greediness of Pfizer. Look at the failed management of Pfizer over the past ten years. Just keep on telling yourself that it is just business. Sooner or later you're going to be on the receiving end of a phone call telling you that this is just business. What were once great pharmaceutical companies are no longer in existence because of this greedy, poorly managed, company known today as Pfizer.

7. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

There is a flip side to your argument just like the hundreds that have posted on here before, during and after the layoffs. You assume that if Warner, Pharmacia, Wyeth etc were still around they would somehow be operating at their full capacity and continously launching ground breaking drugs. I doubt it. When a company buys another company they are not only buying their "bagged" products but also what is in the pipeline. Sure I will agree that some of these companies that were acquired from Pfizer had strong pipelines but there is no telling what would have come of them if Pfizer never decided to acquire them.
    Next, you assume that the pharmaceutical industry is thriving which simply isn't the case unless you look at smaller biotech companies that have niche products. The pharamceutical industry cannot continue to launch more blood pressure, chlor, over active bladder, etc medicines the industry will have to find a way to "create" diseases which is highly doubtful.
    The FDA will continue to reject more and more branded drugs due to healthcare reform and cost controlling unless creative, innovative, delivery systems, products, etc will push into the market.
    In actuality, Pfizer could have saved the thousands of workers and their families another 10 years from entering the unemployment line. Be it 2012-2013 or 2002-2003 the unemployment lines for pharamceutical reps is inevitable.

8. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

Exactly right.

Why pay $100K for a sample dropper, when you could pay some kid from college $35K with a 25% bonus, to do the same thing?

With access what it is, and with Obama care, its only going to get worse, what are shareholders getting exactly for that extra $60K?

NOTHING. Cut the fat.

9. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

Another brainwashed PFE employee. Unless you have a crystal ball there's no way you could know any of this. With every acquisition, plants closed, buildings sold, salesforces reduced while the big fatties at PFE made more money, and meanwhile the legacy asses at PFE got to keep their sales jobs. We are now getting the spoils of the conquering, RIP to us, it couldn't happen to a nicer group of idiots.

10. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

I am prepared to be out of a job in 6 months to 5 years. It will happen. Contract reps is the trend and Pfizer jumps at the trends. Your 6 figure salary will be gone along with my 6 figure salary. Wake up and live in reality.

11. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

Your point that the overall pharm industry isnt thriving is well taken. It's the specifuc niche products that have a very bright future. Your point can be underscored by simply looking at Novo Nordisk. Their success is directly tied to the Diabetes pandemic the entire planet is facing. Talk about being in the right place at the right time with the right products!

12. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

Read yesterday's wall street journal with the interview from the Novartis CEO: "We need to spend less on sales & marketing and more on R&D." There you have it. . . . .

13. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

That's because there is really nothing truly useful to sell or market.
    So, divert attention to the longer time horizon of "R&D" (mostly known as in-license), and move the predatory career along,... enough to get away from the future shrapnel.
    Same old !!

14. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

I'll debate with you if you have valid points. You obviously don't and only read the first few lines of my post. I offered my views from both sides of the isle with no bias towards either but you either think that I am a disgruntle or happy Pfizer rep? What if I am and what if I'm not?

Look at what the next 4 people posted after you. Now I will give you the benefit of the doubt because you may have earned your degree from an online college but did you notice how they all had grown up counterarguments and/or agreements? See this is how people continue to better themselves. They simply get into an honest and open debate and accept the over views from the other side of the isle but also share theirs in an attempt to do nothing more but educate.

Perhaps in 22 years you will be able to hold an intelligent convo with someone on CP but until then stick with Facebook for training.

15. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

The reps that got screwed the most were those that started in the 80s and 90s, and even early 2000s, because it was still a sales job then.

When the pods came, and the insurance companies took over, it became a joke.

Those people got screwed because of all the time they invested in the industry, and now its hard to find a job that can pay what they are used to.

16. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

We are all quivering because you're so intelligent (at least I would have spelled "aisle" correctly from my facebook training) the post had valid points about every time PFE made "decisions" good or bad, the personnel of the other companies were thrown to the street and now it's hitting PFE. And yes Novo, right place right time, diabetes, yep.....Novo was content in fulfilling the niche mission, PFE was busy taking over the world for Lipitor and Celebrex and Prevnar and now the layoffs are beginning in their own ranks. And regarding WSJ article about less time and sales and marketing and more on R&D makes total sense. What Novartis forgets is that every pill sold pays for that R&D and that comes from us salesfolks. PFE has very little R&D, most of the major hitters come from somewhere else, Enbrel = Amgen, Eloquis = BMS, lipitor, prevnar and on and on. Fact is the chickens are coming home to roost, the pipelines bought cannot keep up with drugs going generic and too many inflated PFE salaries can't be supported. We're both right Sparky.

17. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

I posted the comment about Novo Nordisk. While I do agree that Novo is content to fullfill a niche, they recently committed a very Pfizer-esque mistake. They had a hiring blitz last summer and have implemented a Pod sales model. Their Rep's already are posting here on CP about the downside ofthat. (Backstabbing among Rep's that's seen a marked esclation.)

I would say that many Pfizer Rep's can probably easily see what's on the horizon for Novo. But that's a problem for Novo's Rep's.

18. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

You can disagree with PFE's business model all you want, but the fact is, without them operating the way they have, buying companies, and becoming a marketing giant, you (or the OP of this thread) probably would have been out of work years ago. You say, what other major company has done this???? Try almost every major Fortune 500 company that shows a profit. How many small start up enterprises have been bought up, bought out, forced out of existence by Apple, GE, Microsoft, Walmart.....the list goes on. Keep in mind, that although a few thousand sometimes get displaced when a company merges, millions more make $$$ on the shitty stock that they had held onto for years, hoping the company would rebound.

You want a real reality check: go to your local Home Depot or Lowes and see how many blue collar people work there as "department experts" that used to be small hardware store owners, plumbers, carpet layers, mason's, etc. All work for much less now so Home Depot can bring YOU new knobs for your oak cabinets for less money the guy down the street.

19. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

Yes, you may have spelled "aisle" correctly......but you may have been cut because you don't know how to spell Eliquis!

20. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

I have long thought that the fda's increasing reluctance to approve "me too" products has been a leading factor in creating the mess we find ourselves in.
    if a new product comes to market which already has great choices, without any clear-cut advantages, the only way to compete is to try and undercut price. this leads to a more competitive market, and allows the company to maintain a revenue stream (keeping reps employed) while the R&D dept continues to search for whatever holy grail med they choose. I am sure there are lots of good unemployed reps that would jump at the chance to sell a sixth ppi, or a 20th nsaid and keep a paycheck coming in