CEO Medical Segment Resignation

Discussion in 'Cardinal Health' started by Anonymous, Apr 10, 2012 at 10:30 AM.

Tags: Add Tags
  1. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

Fellow Cardinal Health employees,

It is with mixed emotions that I write to tell you that Mike Lynch, CEO of the Medical Segment, will be leaving Cardinal Health. Mike and I have had ongoing discussions over a period of time about his professional and personal aspirations, and these conversations have prompted the two of us to conclude that this is the right time for Mike to pursue his ambition to lead a company on his own in the Chicago area. Mike has agreed to continue to support Cardinal Health on a part-time basis through September of this year.
    Mike has had an outstanding career at Cardinal Health, and I am extremely grateful for his many contributions over 28 years of service. In serving as CEO of the Medical Segment, Mike has reinvigorated its strategy ensuring greater focus on customer needs and value creation, and led the effort to transform its operating platform and infrastructure to best serve the health care system. Mike’s work has clearly helped to position us well for the future.
    This situation has obviously created an opportunity to welcome another exceptional leader to Cardinal Health and add to our already strong management team. I’m pleased to announce that Donald M. Casey Jr. is joining Cardinal Health to lead the Medical Segment effective April 16, reporting to me. Don will be based in Dublin, Ohio, and will have an office at our McGaw Park campus as well.
    I’m delighted to have a healthcare executive of Don’s caliber join our team. His deep operational expertise, outstanding strategic leadership and extensive global experience make him an excellent fit for our organization as we grow our core businesses and expand our footprint.
    Don joins Cardinal Health from the Gary and Mary West Wireless Health Institute, a non-profit research organization focused on lowering the cost of healthcare through novel technology solutions where he served as the organization’s first CEO.
    Prior to West Health, Don spent 24 years at Johnson & Johnson most recently as a member of the company’s executive committee and worldwide chairman of its $10 billion Comprehensive Care Group, including its cardiovascular, diagnostic, diabetes and vision franchises.
    Don’s Johnson & Johnson career began in 1985 at McNeil Consumer Products Company where he held a number of positions in sales and marketing. Over the next two decades, he advanced through management, serving as Company Group Chairman of LifeScan and Animas Corp., Group Chairman and President of the Vision Care Franchise, President of the Johnson & Johnson-Merck joint venture, and President of eJNJ.
    Don holds Bachelor’s and Master of Business Administration degrees from the University of Notre Dame. Daughters Meghan and Katie are also graduates of Notre Dame and youngest daughter Bridget is currently a freshman.
    Don and his wife Ann will be relocating to Dublin, Ohio. Please join me in welcoming Don to Cardinal Health. Over the coming weeks, Mike will work with Don to ensure a seamless transition of leadership.
    As I mentioned, Mike will be with us through September – so we will have plenty of time over the coming months to celebrate Mike’s distinguished career and contributions. However, in the meantime please feel free to thank him and wish him and his family the very best for the future.

Best,
    George

2. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

It's about time. George Barrett FINALLY took action and made a change in the Medical Segment. Lynch fell into the position and was in the right place at the right time. Good for him though as he made a ton of money and was not really qualified to be a general manager within Cardinal. He is a poster child of "its all who you know". He was promoted to an executive when Ron Labrum was the CEO, then when the stellar Kerry Clark took the reins and let Labrum go, Clark had to promote Lynch because Clark didn't know ANYTHING about Cardinal and he needed someone to guide him. Lynch fit the bill. He continued in the position because Clark was so inept and everyone knew he was a short timer. I am surprised Lynch lasted as long with Barrett at the helm but Barrett was basically forced to make this move with the mess that the medical business is in. Clearly no leadership. I am sure this is just the first or many changes to come and its about time!

George let me help you out. Here is what needs to happen next: eliminate Mark Rosenbaum's position as well as Tony Carprio's. Next remove Inacker from the organization and get a supply chain expert to take the lead. Inacker has made a mess of every business that he has been involved in. There is clearly no strategy in the medical distribution business. MBT is a mess and there is poor leadership at the top of distribution as well as at the regional level. Its not going to be fun or painless, but it needs to be done.

George, if you need any real feedback, you should probably read this board versus listen to the yes men and women around you. Oh, by the way, MBT has not gone well despite what Lynch and others have told you.

3. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

This is only the begining of things to come.

4. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

I would also like to add "perhaps you should pay your field/sales folks a more competitive compensation, instead of priding yourself on being the cheapest company when it comes to overhead"

5. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

That sound you hear are resumes being updated and posted to LinkedIn

6. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

Come on lets be honest here, I've been here 14 years and George Barrett has fallen way short of expectations. The stock has proven that much. He may have been the golden boy for wall street while at Teva but he is way out of his League at Cardinal.

7. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

Mixed emotions? Joy, anger, relief, disappointment??? Weird phrasing.

There are many reps who suck so bad that they are excited about this news. Now they can hode for another couple of years.

The poster who was commenting on the lack of leadership is dead on. This sales force is rotten throughout. There are plenty f decent reps and managers and a few very good people but overall the management and reps are below average. The good can't lift up the mountain of suck. There is so much below average representation from this company. The reps and managers think they can't lose business because the company is so powerful. The company is good at negotiating agreements but the reps and managers suck at managing the day to day business and showing daily value to their customers.

Some of this is due to the below average compensation with a lack of incentives for growing your business. Some is due to weak people hiring weak people.

As for Mike Lynch, he seemed to be a decent guy, never had little man's disease but also wasn't able to foster growth through incentive. Those 3 words are what Cardinal and Baxter failed to understand, that Allegiance and especially American, did. Growth through incentive. That's what motivates a sales force and the Cardinal sales force is not motivated. They're just going through the motions.

8. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

If comp is so bad, then why don't more people leave and go to other companies, especially the good ones?

9. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

EASY, NO JOBS!

10. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

It's not that comp is so bad. It's decidedly average. My point is that with incentive comes growth, with a 4% increase comes complacency and average performance.

There are some great reps at Cardinal but the vast majority are average or below. Cardinal growth is mostly achieved through large corporate deals, not by incenting reps for growth.

11. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

Take a good look at what's going on in Dublin.....We have far too many butts in seats. Time for a good old fashion clensing.

12. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

Keep an eye on Donald Casey

13. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

sweap the dublin house

14. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

How about SWEEP the Dublin house.

15. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

How much diligence was done on this donald casey? Wasn't he fired from J and J?

16. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

Glad to hear him go.....I hear the stories almost daily. There's more to come, and you can expect great news!!!!

17. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

Now, I definitely agree with you on this. Better yet, George, please wake up and smell the roses and stop believing the lies. I work with MBT first hand and it is not going well... The system sucks, it's slow, customer hate it and they fix one thing and break another. I cannot wait until the whole company get a whiff of this website... O, let the fun begin.

18. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

Unlike you, most people don't have it so easy where they can be the CEO and do nothing and make thousands per year and look down on the little people. The fact that you even asked that question says a lot. In other states, we would get paid double do to what we do as CSRs, sales rep, etc. We shouldn't have to move, the company should take some of your pay and should not have paid Mike Lynch so much so we can make a living as well.

Cardinal Health is cheap, fake, and selfish. I bet you wouldn't dare bring this issue up at a town hall; however, it wouldn't matter because everyone would just kiss your ass and say "yes, sir you pay us well."

Dummies!

I worked at Cardinal for 5 years and I make way more now at my new job and work less. Ya'll are scandalous and ya'll know it. I've directed a few more people to this website so... You'll learn in a while...

19. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

THE LEADERS AT CARDINAL HEALTH ARE DO STUPID AND THEY THINK EVERYONE IS SUPPOSED TO BE INTIMIDATED BY THEM. THEY FIRE PEOPLE IF YOU DON'T GO WITH THE FLOW, WHICH THE FLOW MAKES NO SENSE AND THEY LIE, LIE, LIE...

I STRONGGGGGGGGGGGLLLLLLLLY DISLIKE CARDINAL. WHOEVER CAME UP WITH MBT IS DUMB AS HELL AND SHOULD NOT STILL BE WORKING THERE. DID YOU BUY THE PROGRAM FROM GEORGE'S BEST FRIEND OR SOMETHING?

HOW CAN YA'LL COME BACK FROM THE BILLIONS YOU'VE LOST IN SALES, ACCOUNTS, FREIGHT, RETURNS, ETC.? OH THAT'S RIGHT, A BAILOUT! I FORGOT...

20. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

George,

I researched and found that Cardinal has lost over 1.5 billions dollars in revenue, so does this mean layoffs? Also, I'm new to Cardinal and was told that ya'll only look at numbers as far as incoming calls. Why is that because we do more than answer phones... we do reports, emails, faxes, outbound calls, train other employees, etc.

I'm already looking for a new job because the workload is so heavy and they expectations are so high.