MD/MBA can't get an MSL interview for the life of me

Discussion in 'MSL Board' started by oneiro, Sep 8, 2014 at 12:37 AM.

Tags: Add Tags
  1. oneiro

oneiro Guest

I am a residency trained physician in anesthesiology, board eligible; MD and MBA from an Ivy League- and I can't get so much as an interview. Every MSL job post wants experience. Sure I'm playing the alumni and LinkedIn network as hard as I can, recruiters tell me they'll be happy to help me get my *second* job in pharma- but can't help me with the first. What the heck, am I missing something completely?

Any opinions appreciated.

2. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

Why would you want to be an MSL when you could make 3-4 times as much as an anesthesiologist? Might be a case of being over-qualified.

3. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

Agreed and you don't have to put up with company politics like sales managers who think you are just another rep or reps that resent you because you don't have their metrics.

4. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

OP here. I am looking into this industry because I was disbarred and cannot practice medicine for 2 years. I thought a MSL job may be a good stop gap until I get my license back.

5. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

It's not an absolute requirement, but a lot of companies do require that you have an active license in order to be employed by them. The reason why you are not getting past the HR desk is likely because of that.

6. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

Do you know of any place I can get a fake MD license to pass the background check? Thanks for any help you can lend.

7. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

Absolutely not true. How many MSL jobs require a license? Please list a few.

More than likely, OP is being turned away because of the action against him, or he is telegraphing that he only wants the position in a temp way. Unlikely that HR would move forward with someone looking to make just a 2 year commitment.

It's also incredibly hard to break into the MSL role right now. There are too many experienced MSLs out there still looking for good jobs. Almost all postings are requiring experience.

8. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

Sorry, but have you looked at the ads lately? Losing a license is a serious matter, and most will not touch your CV, nor will you make it through the security screen if your license has had activity worthy of revocation. At last count, AZN, PFE, GSK and Roche won't touch an unlicensed candidate. I know senior managers from all four, and from more biotechs than I can count. Just try getting an interview. PhDs are the exception because most of them are not licensed, but some do have clinical experience.

If you lost your license, it will make it harder for them to justify giving information to other health care professionals when you couldn't cut it. It's like saying you are ready to do surgery because you stayed at Holiday Inn Express last night.

9. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

The only reason I lost my license was just for over prescribing Oxycontin for awhile. I was just trying to build my practice. I know I would be a great MSL because I have great scientific knowledge as well as high level sales skills.

10. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

DEA action--are you kidding me? You may be automatically debarred from federal medical programs, which means you would be debarred from FDA--automatically means ineligiblity.

Try one of the contract companies and see if they would hire you. You can't work directly for manufacturer, especially one that works with controlled substances.

11. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

You're an uniformed moron. About a third of the MD's I know that are MSL's have lost their license that is why they are in the pharma industry. Pharma companies do not care they are sleazy themself anyway. Quit lying.

12. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

I've worked for 4 different pharma companies. In all of my experiences, I've had to attest that I have not been debarred by any state licensing agency or federal agency. IMHO, you're going to have a hard time finding a position.

13. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

I have to agree with the above comments. Documented DEA actions, revoked licenses, these sort of things come up with a quick check on your state online license checker. The MSL position is totally difference from clinical practice - you are not a god here. No one will treat you like one. In fact, it's almost like internship where you're the bottom of the barrel and have to show humility. In most companies, your sales skills will not help you because you're not supposed to be "selling" the drug.

14. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

I am an MD working as a MSL for a mid size pharma company. I am disbarred but just told them my license was in good standing. They believe me and I am making some easy money.

15. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

Do you honestly think anyone believes you? You don't know a damn thing about MSLs if you think any professional who lost their license would be hired. The security check screens for those things and it is a huge red flag. You don't clear the background search-you don't get the job. How the hell would a lying troll like you know anyways?

There are a lot of unlicensed MDs who are MSLs, but they never took the exams or never did their post-grad training. Doesn't stop them because they have no license to lose, but if they had lost a license--it will not fly.

Get your head out of your @$$.

16. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

You are quite incorrect fuckface. I know of 2 MDs that were disbarred and currently work as MSLs. If you are smart like them you set up a fake number to a foreign school and verify the call yourself. You're a dummy Porky.

17. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

Oh....all of two MDs.....such a huge example and you are likely lying about them...

You're as credible as "if you like your plan, you can keep your plan".

Go away, Gruber.

18. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

I have worked for 3 pharma companies. Every MSL I have ever met was a limp wristed twink. Kinda sad that they get an MD degree and then are too stupid or too scared to practice medicine.

19. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

Ain't that the truth?! The MSL that is in our region is so non-descript, she might as well not even exist. She was on a telecon with us to "update" us on the latest data. She didn't even pronounce the product name correctly. Some bimbo with an advanced degree and no clue.

20. anonymous

anonymous Guest

JUST over prescribing highly addictive drugs? To build YOUR practice.
    You sound like a narcissist or even a sociopathic! You know what addiction does to patients and our communities and society - and are hooking them anyway?

And we all know it had to have been more than just a little overprescribing for disbarring.

I suspected you “just” couldn’t pass your boards. But, this is even worse than that.

How disgusting. Try thinking outside of your SELF, Mr. Ivy League. Right, not a doctor. Doctors take an Oath which you clearly “JUST” ignored by pill-milling for selfish business (building your practice) reasons.
    Building a real practice takes patience, respect, dignity, ethics, morals. None of which you seem to have.

Let me guess - your daddy got u into your medical/biz schools and now has cut you off his coat tails.

We don’t need any more scumbag practitioners who have been kicked out of practice or “proud snake-oil salesmen” getting into Med Affairs. We already have enough trouble being taken seriously.

Please STAY AWAY and get mental help for “JUST” some serious narcissism and spoilage.